Edward Walter Choate1
#1243, (1894 - 1971)
|Charts||5 Generations of Descendants of Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle (1791-1847)|
|Birth||Edward Walter Choate was born on 21 Jul 1894 in North Bend, British Columbia.|
Details from registration: Edward Walter Choate, father James Zaccheus Choate, mother Alice Louise (Crick) Choate, father a bridge & building master for CP Railway, Vancouver, birth attended by Dr Williams of Ashcroft, registration signed 9 July 1914 by the father, J Z Choate of 969 Homer Street, Vancouver.2,1
|CEF||He volunteered for the Canadian Expeditionary Force on 15 Mar 1918 at Vancouver, British Columbia. The attestation papers included the following information: Edward Walter Choate, c/o GTP SS Co Vancouver BC, military service act number 288745, born 21 July 1894 at North Bend BC, single, Anglican, ticket accountant, no previous military service, next of kin father James Zaccheus Choate, 1522 Comox Street Vancouver. Description: 23 years old, 5' 8 3/4", expanded chest 35", medium complexion, grey eyes, dk brown hair.3|
|Marriage||He married Bertha Lyall Adair Wallace, daughter of James Henry Wallace and Eleanor Elizabeth Bonnycastle, on 15 Dec 1923 in St Paul's Church, Vancouver, British Columbia.|
Information from certificate: Edward Walter Choate, Travelling Passenger Agent for CPR, bachelor, age 29, Church of England, residence 902 2nd Ave, Seattle, Wash, born North Bend BC, father James Zac--- Choate born Canada, mother Alice Louise Crick born England;
Bertha Lyall Adair Wallace, spinster, age 25, Church of England, residence 1639 Comox St. Vancouver, father Henry Wallace born Canada, mother Eleanor Elizabeth Bonnycastle born Canada;
Married after banns, with witnesses Clarence Arnott and [Bertha's 3rd cousin] Heather Denmark Burton, both of Vancouver.2
|1930 Census||Edward W and Lyall A Choate appeared on the 1930 Federal Census of Seattle, King County, Washington, at 2442 10th Avenue North. They rented their apartment for $30 a month. Edward was 35, born in British Coumbia, father born in Ontario, mother in England. He was a veteran and was a city passenger agent for Canadian National Railways. Lyall was 35, born in Ontario, parents born in Ontario. They were married at age 29, were aliens, Edward immigrated in 1922 and Lyall in 1924. No one else was in the household.4|
|1940 Census||Edward and Lyall appeared on the 1940 Federal Census of Seattle, King County, Washington, at 2442 Tenth North. They rented their suite for $35. Edward was 46, level of education not recorded. He was a traveling agent for the railway, earning $2000 the previous year. Lyall was 43 and had one year of college. They were both born in Canada, were of alien status, and lived in Seattle in 1935.5|
|Military||Edward Walter Choate completed a WW2 Draft Registration Card for men between the ages of 45-64 on 27 Apr 1942. Information from the card: Edward Walter Choate, 2442 10th No, Apt 301, Seattle, King County, phone CA 6108, age 47, born 21 July 1894 in North Bend Canada, employer Canadian National Railways, Montreal, place of employment 1329 4th Ave Seattle and the name of contact was J F McGuire at that address.6|
|Death||Edward died on 1 Nov 1971 in Alameda County, California.7|
|Last Edited||16 Apr 2014|
- Birth Registrations of British Columbia, 1854-1903. image viewed at Family Search Historic Records & Images Online, Edward Walter Choate, #94-09-248085.
- Marriage Register of British Columbia, Choate/Wallace, #1923-09-257009.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Attestation Papers & Enlistment Forms. Library and Archives Canada, (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020110_e.html), online images, Edward Walter Choate, Regimental Number 2022133.
- 1930 Federal Census for United States, Washington, King County, Seattle, ED 70, Page 11A. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- 1940 Federal Census for United States, Washington, King County, Seattle, ED 40-133, Page 7B. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- United States World War II Draft Cards. National Archives, online images viewed at Ancestry.com, Edward Walter Choate, Serial Number U2475.
- Index to California Deaths, www.ancestry.com, 1940-1997, compiled by Ancestry.com "Edward W Choate, born 21 Jul 1894 Canada, died 1 Nov 1971."