#289, (c 1796 - 1867)
|Humphrey Bonnycastle (1795 - b 1866)|
|Birth||Jane Cottrell was born circa 1796 in a county other than Kent.2|
|Note.||The baptism record in the St Margaret's Westminster parish register for their daughter Jane said that she was born Feb 10th and baptised April 17th 1831, the daughter of John Cotterell [sic] & Jane Bonnycastle, abode Down Street. John was a Clerk in the Pay Masters Office.3|
|Note.||The baptism record in the St George Hanover Square parish register for their son Harry Cottrell Bonnycastle said that he was born 21 Dec 1832 and baptised 29 May 1834, the son of Humphrey, a Gentleman, & Jane Murray Bonnycastle, abode Pollen Street.4|
|Note.||The baptism record in St George Hanover Square, Middlesex for their daughter Mary said that she was born 2 March 1835 and baptised 30 August 1836, the daughter of Humphr & Jane Bonnycastle, abode Conduit Vale Blackheath. Humphrey's occupation was Gentleman.5|
|Marriage||She married Humphrey Bonnycastle, son of John Bonnycastle and Bridget Newell, on 15 Jul 1837 in St. Mary, Lewisham, Kent.|
Humphrey Bonnycastle, bachelor, and Jane Cottrell, spinster, both of this parish, married by licence. The witnesses were [Humphrey's brother] RH Bonnycastle and John Jones. [the bishop's transcripts had the same information]
Apparently the parish recorded the marriage on both the old and new forms and their marriage was the first one at Lewisham Parish Church after civil registration with new forms began on 1 July 1837. Info from the new form: Humphrey Bonnycastle, age 42, bachelor, Gent, father John Bonnycastle, Gent;
Jane Cottrell, 40, spinster, father William Cottrell, Gent;
They were married by License in the Parish Church of Lewisham and the witnesses were RH Bonnycastle and John Jones. The cert contains Humphrey's and Jane's signatures.1,6,7
|Note.||Humphrey & Jane had three children before they married. Why did they wait so long and why marry then? Humphrey's brother Richard Henry from Canada was a witness to their marriage and the following month Humphrey and son Harry accompanied Richard to America. Perhaps this was the impetus for the marriage - so that Jane and the children would be protected should something happen to Humphrey on the voyage.|
|1841 Census||Humphrey and Jane Bonicastle [sic] appeared on the 1841 Census of Lewisham, Kent, at Mr Russell's Cottages, enumerated 6 Jun 1841. Humphrey was 46, of independent means, and not born in the county of Kent. Jane was 44 and not born in Kent. With them were children Jane (10), Mary (6), Harry (8), and Emmily (4 months), and one servant. Note that the 1841 census did not record relationships, and only indicated whether or not the person was born in the county.2|
|Death||Jane died in 1867 in England.8|
|Burial||Jenny Cottrell Bonnycastle was buried on 28 Oct 1867 in All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green, England. The register noted that she was 72 years old and her abode was 4 Westbourne, Park Road, Paddington.9|
|Last Edited||2 Oct 2013|
- Microfilm of the Bishop's transcripts of St. Mary's Church, Lewisham, Kent, 1829-1837 (Family History Library, 307680), Bonnycastle/Cottrell marriage, 1837.
- Online image of the 1841 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), HO107/484 Book 4 Folio 35.
- Baptisms of St Margaret Westminster, Middlesex. registers from Westminster Archives. Image viewed at Findmypast.com, Jane Bonnycastle, 1831, #937.
- Baptisms of St George Hanover Square, Middlesex. registers from Westminster Archives. Image viewed at Findmypast.com, Harry Cottrell Bonnycastle, 1834, #517.
- Baptisms of St George Hanover Square, Middlesex. registers from Westminster Archives. Image viewed at Findmypast.com, Mary Bonnycastle, 1836, #849.
- Marriages of the parish of Lewisham. registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Humphrey Bonnycastle & Jane Cottrell, 1837, #439.
- Marriages of the parish of Lewisham. registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Humphrey Bonnycastle & Jane Cottrell, 1837, #1.
- Website FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/), "Jenny C Bonnycastle, age 72, Dec Q 1867, Kensington RD."
- Burials of All Souls Cemetery. registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Jenny Cottrell Bonnycastle, 1867, #45721.