Samuel Thomas Godart1
#17275, (1865 - 1942)
|Father||Herbert Godart2,3 (1818 - 1893)|
|Mother||Isabella Ann Taylor2,3 (c 1836 - 1915)|
|Relationship||Great-grandson of Peter Godart|
|Charts||Peter Godart & Mary Dowson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
|Birth||Samuel Thomas Godart was born on 3 Oct 1865 in St Pancras, Middlesex.4,3,5|
|Research Note||Samuel Thomas' baptism several years after his birth recorded his birth date as October 3rd 1866. However, his birth was registered in the last quarter of 1865 so I am putting his birthdate as October 3rd 1865. This can be verified by ordering his birth certificate.|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||Samuel appeared on the 1871 Census of Acton, Middlesex with his parents. He was 5 and born in Middlesex, London.2|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 28 Jul 1872 in Acton, Middlesex. He was the son of Herbert, a carver, and Isabella Ann Goddard [sic] of South Acton. His birth was recorded as Octr 3, 1866 and he was baptised with his brothers Charles and Herbert.3|
|1881 Census||He appeared on the 1881 Census of London, Middlesex, at 37 Ennismore Gardens. Samuel T was 16, born in London, Middlesex, and was a Hall Boy Domestic Servant in a household with nine servants.6|
|(Sibling) 1891 Census||He appeared on the 1891 Census of St Pancras, London, as a brother in the household of Herbert Clement Godart and Jane Clinch. Samuel T was single, 26, a C T Traveller neither employer nor employed, and born in St Pancras.4|
|(Witness) Marriage||Samuel Thomas Godart witnessed the marriage of his brother Peter Albert Godart and Louie Boromar Marsh on 11 Sep 1898 in St Pancras, London.7|
|(Sibling) 1901 Census||Samuel appeared on the 1901 Census of St Pancras, London, as a brother in the household of Herbert Clement Godart and Jane Clinch. He was 36, single, worked as a Printer (Compositor), and was born in St Pancras.8|
|Marriage||Samuel Thomas Godart married Emily Clinch on 27 May 1901 in St Andrew Haverstock Hill, London.|
Information from the register: Samuel Thomas Godart, 36, bachelor, printer, residence 21 Haverstock Road, father Herbert Godart (deceased), carver;
Emily Clinch, 32, spinster, 21 Haverstock Road, father John Thomas Clinch (deceased), carman;
They were married after banns and the witnesses were Henry Clinch and [Samuel's brother] Herbert Clement Godart.9
|1911 Census||Samuel Thomas and Emily Godart appeared on the 1911 Census of Hampstead, London, at 3 Lisburne Road. They had been married 10 years and had no children. Samuel was 46, a Printer, birthplace London. Emily was 42 and born in London. Their residence had 5 rooms and they had three single male boarders.10|
|Death||Samuel died on 6 Mar 1942 in Hampstead, London.11,12,13|
|Burial||He was buried on 11 Mar 1942 in Hampstead Cemetery.14|
|Newspaper|| Handwritten newspaper index card read as follows:|
Godart Samuel T, of 3 Lisburn Road Hampstead a Painter Retired Died 6.3.1942 at New End Hospital aet 76. Informant H.W. Dyer nephew, 90 Mayfield Avenue, Friern Barnet.12
|Probate||His estate was proved on 10 Apr 1942 in Llandudno. Entry from the probate calendar: |
GODART Samuel Thomas of 3 Lisburne-road Hampstead London N.W.3 died 6 March 1942 at New End Hospital Hampstead. Probate Llandudno 10 April to Herbert Clement Godart retired printer. Effects £580 14s 10d
Note: during the war, the probate office was moved from London to Llandudno, Wales.13
|Last Edited||29 Jan 2017|
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837-1983 (http://www.ancestry.com, online images), Samuel Thomas Godart, Dec Q 1865, Pancras RD.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/1322 folio 84.
- Baptisms of Acton, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Samuel Goddard, 1872, #1453.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/135 folio 105.
- General Register Office Online Birth Index. Samuel Thomas Godart, mother's surname Taylor, Dec Q 1865, Pancras RD.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/121 folio 31.
- Marriages of St Pancras, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Peter Albert Godart & Louie Marsh, 1898, #362.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG13/154 folio 57.
- Marriages of St Andrew Haverstock Hill, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Samuel Thomas Godart & Emily Clinch, 1901, #234.
- 1911 Census for England & Wales, RD 8 SD 1 ED 16 Schedule 126.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Samuel T Godart, age 76, Mar Q 1942, Hamstead RD.
- Andrews Collection, Samuel T Fernee death notice, 1942. (newspaper clippings on index cards), Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Canterbury, Kent, England. Images viewed at Ancestry.com.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Samuel Thomas Godart, 1942.
- DeceasedOnline.com Indexes to Burials (http://www.deceasedonline), Samule Thomas Godart, 1942.