#20143, (1846 - 1917)
|Father||Edwin Fernee1,2 (1806 - 1878)|
|Mother||Eliza Foden1,2 (c 1808 - 1873)|
|Relationship||Great-grandson of Samuel Fernee|
|Charts||Samuel Fernee & Mary Harris - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
Children of Thomas Fernee and Mary Ann Jarvis
|Occupation||Thomas Fernee was a a Bootmaker, the only one of his family to serve an apprenticeship.3|
|Birth||He was born on 28 Mar 1846 in Wards Cottages, Highgate, Middlesex.|
Details from certificate: Thomas, father Edwin Fernee, labourer, mother Eliza Fernee formerly Foden, informant was father Edwin Fernee of Wards Cottages, Highgate, registered 9 April 1846.1,2
|Baptism||He was baptized on 3 May 1846 in St Michael Highgate, Middlesex. He was the son of Edwin, labourer, & Eliza Fernee of Highgate.4|
|(with Parents) 1851 Census||He appeared on the 1851 Census of St Mary's Hornsey, Middlesex with his parents. Thomas was 5, a scholar, and born in Highgate.5|
|1861 Census||He appeared on the 1861 Census of Croydon, Surrey, at 13 St James Terrace. Thomas Ferner was age 15, born in Highgate, Middlesex, and was an Apprentice Boot Maker.6|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||He appeared on the 1871 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex with his parents. Thomas was age 25, a Shoemaker, and born in Highgate.7|
|(Informant) Death||He registered the 1873 death of his mother Eliza Fernee.8|
|Marriage||Thomas Fernee married Mary Ann Jarvis on 23 Feb 1874 in St James' Muswell Hill, St Mary Hornsey, Middlesex.|
Details from certificate: Thomas Fernee, full age, bachelor, Shoe Maker, residence Coleridge Buildings, Highgate, father Edwin Fernee, labourer
Mary Ann Jarvis, age 20, spinster, residence St James' Lane, Muswell Hill, father Charles Jarvis, labourer
Married in the Church of St James' Muswell Hill by registrar's Certificate. Witnesses were Charles & Sarah Jarvis.9
|1881 Census||Thomas and Mary A appeared on the 1881 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at Archway Road, Coleridge Bldgs, Highgate. Thomas was 35, a Bootmaker, and born in Highgate, Middlesex. Mary A was 27 and born in Muswell Hill, Middlesex. Their children were Mary A (6), Thomas (5), Edwin (2), Sarah (1), and Joseph A (3 months). Son Joshua was in the hospital.11|
|1891 Census||Thomas and Mary Ann Fernee appeared on the 1891 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at Fern Cottage, North Hill, Highgate. Thomas was 44, a Bootmaker, employer, and was born in Highgate, London. Mary A was 37 and born in Highgate. Their children were Mary A (16), Thomas (15, page boy), Joshua (14, ironmongers assistant), Edwin (12), Joseph (10), Emma (8), Minnie (7), Alice (6), Harry (4), Edith (2), Ruth (1), and Samuel (14 days). Edwin thru Alice were scholars and all were born in Highgate.12|
|Newspaper|| Published 18 May 1897 in the Islington Gazette. |
A Neighour's Feud.
Emma and Minnie Fernee, of 22, North-hill, Highgate, were summoned for using insulting language towards William Huberstone. The parties reside next door, and the complainant alleged that the defendants, two little girls, called him "daisy face," "long nose" and "monkey face," and other insulting epithets. A good deal of ill-feeling had existed between the two families for some time, and they were before the Court a month or two ago. The Bench ordered the girls to pay each a fine of 2s 6d, and costs.14
|1901 Census||Thomas and Mary Ann appeared on the 1901 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at 22 North Hill, Highgate. Thomas was 54, a Boot maker working on own account at home, and born in Highgate, Middlesex. Mary Ann was 47 and born in Muswell Hill, Middlesex. Their children at home were Joshua (24, hostler), Emma (18, dressmaker), Harry (14, telegraph messenger), Edith (12), Ruth (11), and Samuel (10.)15|
|1911 Census||Thomas and Mary Ann Ferneé appeared on the 1911 Census of Highgate, London, at 22 North Hill. Thomas was 65, a Boot Maker working on his own account at home. Mary Ann was 57 and was the mother of 13 children, 11 of whom were still living. Thomas and Mary Ann had been married 37 years. With them were Harry (24, Postman), Edith (22, domestic servant), and Samuel (20, Salesman Furnishing Drapery). All were born in Hornsey parish.16|
|Death||Thomas died in 1917 in Highgate Village.17,3|
|Burial||He was buried in Highgate Churchyard by special arrangement with the Vicar. He was the longest resident [sic] in Highgate Village.3|
|Last Edited||7 Jun 2017|
- Copy birth certificate of Thomas Fernee, born 28 March 1846, registered 9 April 1846 in the Registration District of Edmonton.
- Transcript from family bible.
- Letters from James Fernee [1842-1910], 65, Herschell Road, Sheffield, to Herbert George Fernee [1867- ], dated May and June 1905.
- Baptisms of St Michael Highgate, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Fernee, 1846, #1358.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1702 folio 195 page 16 [St Michael's Highgate ecclesiastical district].
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/450 folio 33 page 10.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/1337 folio 93 page 12.
- Copy death certificate of Eliza Fernee, died 24 January 1873, registered 24 January 1873 in the Registration District of Edmonton.
- Copy marriage certificate of Thomas Fernee and Mary Ann Jarvis, married 23 February 1874 in the Registration District of Edmonton.
- E-mails from Marie Bennetts, Australia, to J Kolthammer.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/1379 folio 61 page 4.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/1061 folio 101.
- The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), 22 Dec 1896, Issue 9904. image online at 19th Century British Library Newspapers, a Gale digital collection.
- Islington Gazette, 18 May 1897, page 2. Image accessed online at Find My Past.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG13/1244 folio 44.
- 1911 Census for England & Wales, RD 132 SD 1 ED 43 Schedule 243.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Fernee, age 71, Dec Q 1917, Edmonton RD.
- Baptisms of St James Muswell Hill, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Mary Ann Fernee, 1875, #18.
- Copy birth certificate of Minnie Fernee, born 6 October 1883, registered 9 November 1883 in the Registration District of Edmonton.