#20146, (1844 - )
|Father||Edwin Fernee1,2 (1806 - 1878)|
|Mother||Eliza Foden1,2 (c 1808 - 1873)|
|Relationship||Great-grandson of Samuel Fernee|
|Charts||Samuel Fernee & Mary Harris - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
|Birth||Anthony Fernee was born on 28 Oct 1844 in Highgate, Middlesex.1,3|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 24 Nov 1844 in St Michael Highgate, Middlesex. He was the son of Edwin, a labourer, & Eliza Fernee of Highgate.2|
|(with Parents) 1851 Census||He appeared on the 1851 Census of St Mary's Hornsey, Middlesex with his parents. Athony [sic] was age 6 and born in Highgate. He was missed in the long list of children and added at the end!3|
|1861 Census||On the 1861 Census, Antony was 16 1/2, born in Highgate Middlesex and had the rank of Boy 2 Class on board the Royal Navy vessel HMS Mutine. The Mutine was a wooden screw sloop launched in 1859, length 172', displacement 1291 tons, 17 guns, and 160 men.4|
|Research Note||Navy records indexed under Fernce at The National Archives.|
|Immigration||He immigrated to California, USA.5|
|Naturalization||He was naturalized on 5 Oct 1868 in California. Info from index card: Anthony Fernee, Great Britain, US CC SF court, Vol. 9, P-287, witnesses: Henry Ford, E Hellman.6|
|Research Note||In the 1870 census for Vallejo, Solano County, California, there is a Jos Furney, age 25, laborer, born in England, parents foreign born.7|
|1880 Census||Antony Ferney appeared on the 1880 Federal Census of 5th Street, Vallejo, Solano County, California, enumerated 1 Jun 1880. He was white, male, age 39, a boarder, married, laborer, unemployed 3 months in the past year, born in England, parents born in England.8|
|Note.||In the 1896 Great Register of Fresno County, in Fresno County, California, Anthony was listed as Anthony Fernee, Miner, age 53, nativity England, Naturalization 15 Sep 1868.9|
|Voters' List||He appeared on the California Great Registers (voter's lists recorded every 2 years) several times in the late 1800s. In each register, his name was spelled Anthony Fernee. |
1880 - Norman, Colusa County - age 34, birthplace Connecticut [sic]
1886 - Kings City, Monterey County - age 39, born England
1892 - Pine Ridge, Fresno County - age 45, birthplace England
1896 - Cardozas adjoining Ogle Ho, Fresno County - age 51 or 53, born England
1900 - East Fresno, Fresno County - age 54, born England
[Note: these were transcribed records; I did not see the registers].10
|Research Note||Not on the Fresno voters' list after 1900; not in the California 1905-1929 death index.|
|Note.||In a letter written in 1905, Anthony's brother James commented that Anthony "at 14 joined the Navy. We have not seen him since January 1860. Was alright in California 10 years ago not heard since."11|
|Last Edited||15 Jun 2014|
- Transcript from family bible.
- Baptisms of St Michael Highgate, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Anthony Fernee, 1844, #1214.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1702 folio 195 page 16 [St Michael's Highgate ecclesiastical district].
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/4436 folio 174 page 7.
- Correspondence with Michael Fernee.
- Index to Naturalizations, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 1852 - c1989, compiled by NARA, Washington, D.C. Image of index card viewed on Ancestry.com, Anthony Fernee, 1868.
- Online image of the 1870 Federal Census for United States (Heritage Quest, www.heritagequestonline.com), California, Solano County, Vallejo, Series M593, Roll 90, Page 149.
- Online image of the 1880 Federal Census for United States (Heritage Quest, www.heritagequestonline.com), California, Solano County, Vallejo, Series T9, Roll 83, Page 351.
- Website United States GenWeb (www.usgenweb.org), transcription of Great Register of Fresno County.
- California, Great Registers, 1866-1910. Transcribed index read at FamilySearch.
- Letters from James Fernee [1842-1910], 65, Herschell Road, Sheffield, to Herbert George Fernee [1867- ], dated May and June 1905.