#2250, (1809 - 1842)
|Father||Magnus Fidlar1 (1759 - a 1821)|
|Mother||Janet Irvine1 (1766 - bt 1809 - 1821)|
|Charts||Descendants of Magnus Fidlar & Janet Irvine|
|Birth||David Fidlar was born on 25 Jun 1809 in Stromness, Orkney.|
His father was noted to be a boat builder.1
|Baptism||He was baptized on 25 Jun 1809 in Stromness.1|
|(with Father) 1821 Census||He appeared on the 1821 Census of Stromness with his father, Magnus. He was 12 years old.2|
|Research Note||According to an item in the Grahamstown [South Africa] Journal in Dec 1839, at that time the captain of the Mazeppa Schooner was J.Tate.3|
|1841 Census||David Fidler [sic] appeared on the 1841 Census of St John Wapping, Borough of Tower Hamlets, Middlesex, at Maidenhead Court. He was 32 years old, a seaman, and born in Scotland. David was with a seaman's family and the area had many seamen, dock workers, watermen, sailmakers, and the like.4|
|Newspaper|| Cape Frontier Times (Grahamstown) 1842/01/27 notice of ship arrivals|
Mazeppa Schooner, Captain D FIDLAR
embarkation at Mauritius 1841/12/28
arrival at Algoa Bay 1842/01/17
Passengers: MR THOMAS.5
|Death||David died between Jan 1842 and Apr 1842, according to the newspaper accounts of shipping.|
|Newspaper|| Published Apr 1842. Cape Frontier Times (Grahamstown) 1842/05/05|
Mazeppa Schooner, Captain J VOY (the late master Mr D FIDLAR was accidentally drowned in Cape Town)
embarkation at Table Bay 1842/04/13
discharge at Algoa Bay 1842/04/23
Passengers: Mr J O SMITH, Capt OSBORNE, Capt REDDIE, Capt SCOTT, Capt CRANFIELD and 2 servant.6
|Newspaper||Published 29 Dec 1843 in the London Gazette. An advertisement giving an account of all Estates or Property of people not residing within the Colony of the Cape of Good Hope and searching for unknown and foreign heirs. One of the listed parties was David Fidlar, £10 16s 3d. His name was included in such notices until at least December 1881.7|
|Last Edited||22 Sep 2013|
- Microfilm of the Old Parochial Register of Stromness, Orkney, 1695-1854 (Family History Library, 990514 & 990515).
- 1821 Census for Orkney, Scotland "ed1, house 291."
- Rootsweb Mailing List, archived online at http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/715 Book 4 Folio 22. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Rootsweb Mailing List, archived online at http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH, 23 April 2004.
- Rootsweb Mailing List, archived online at http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH, 24 April 2004.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Colony of the Cape of Good Hope search for unknown heirs. Issue 20300, 29 December 1843, Page 17.