Charles Robert Kolthammer1
#1839, (1891 - 1929)
|Father||Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer2 (1856 - 1906)|
|Mother||Margarete Kathrina Kobold2 (1862 - 1935)|
|Relationship||Son of Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer|
|Charts||Dietrich Burchard Kolthammer - Eight generations of Descendants |
Friedrich Kolthammer & Margarete Kobold - children & grandchildren
|Birth||Charles Robert Kolthammer was born on 11 Dec 1891 in London.2,1|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 20 Mar 1892 in St. Georges Lutheran Church, Little Alie Street, St Mary Whitechapel parish, Middlesex. Details from the register: 3rd Sunday in Lent (Oculi), Karl Robert, born 11 Dec 1891, son of Fritz Wilhelm Kolthammer, tailor, of Celle & his wife Margaretha formerly Koboldt of Archenau, Württembert; residence No 31, Queen's Buildings, Southwark Road S.E; sponsors: Mr Friedrich Egler, Miss Babette Schmidt; pastor G. Maetzold.2|
|(with Parents) 1901 Census||Charles appeared on the 1901 Census of St George The Martyr Civil Parish, Southwark, London living in three rooms with his parents and seven siblings. He was 9 years old and born in Southwark, London.3|
|Military||He filled out his attestation papers to join the 24th Battalion and serve for 4 years on 25 Jan 1911 in New Street, Kennington, London. Details from the papers: Charles Robert Kolthammer, born in Southwark Surrey, age 19 years 1 month, Surgical Instrument Maker for Down Bros in Kings Head Yd Boro St, residence 14 Union Square Newington Causeway SE, is an apprentice with 2 years to run, not married, never served in the military, received a Notice.|
Medical Inspection: height 5'5", expanded chest 37", vision sufficient, physical development good, considered fit for the Territorial Force.4
|(with Mother) 1911 Census||He appeared on the 1911 Census of Newington, Southwark, London with his mother Margaret. Charles was 19, worked as a Surgical Instrument Maker, and was born in Southwark, London.5|
|Marriage||He married Ethel Martin on 27 Jan 1915.6,4|
|Military|| Dates and places of annual training were:|
Shorncliffe 6.8.11 to 20.8.11
Bourley 28.7.12 to 4.8.12
Worthing 3.8.13 to 10.8.13
On 27.1.15, he was placed on the married roll. Particulars: married Ethel Martin, spinster, at the Walworth Town Hall on 25/1/15, witnesses Bertha Dunstan and Fred Martin. Ethel's address was 5 Gt Dover St, Boro SE.
Military History Sheet (where and when served):
Home 25.1.11 to 14.3.15 ; 4 years 49 days
Expedit Force France 15.3.15 to 1.2.16 ; 324 days
Home 2.2.16 to 13.2.16 ; 12 days
Rank: Lance Corporal, reverted to Private in August 1915 at his own request
British War Medal & Victory Medal
No injuries recorded. One episode of scabies.4
|Anecdote||There is a family tale that each of the children were given Martin as their penultimate name so that they could take the surname Martin to avoid any difficulties with a German name following WW1.8,9|
|Military||Charles Robert Kolthammer served in World War I. The medal index card is available from The National Archives for Charles R Kolthammer, Lance Corporal, of the London Regiment.|
|Passenger List||He was listed on a manifest dated 7 Nov 1921 for the steamship Maas, departing Hamburg for London. Details from the list: Charles Robert Kolthammer, age 28, occupation Ingenieur, born 11 Dec 1892 [sic] in London, nationality English, residence Hamburg, destination London.12|
|Death||He died on 12 Mar 1929, the cause of death being TB. He left a wife and six children.13|
|Last Edited||16 Jul 2017|
- FreeBMD. Charles Robert Kolthammer, Mar Q 1892, St Saviour RD.
- Microfilm of the Baptisms of St George's German Lutheran Church, Whitechapel, Middlesex, 1857-1897 (Family History Library, 1752197).
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG 13/366 folio 127.
- British Army WW1 Service Records. Images of documents viewed at Ancestry. Charles Robert Kolthammer files.
- Image of the 1911 Census for England and Wales (1911 Census.co.uk, http://www.1911census.co.uk/), RG78/510A, RG14/1797 RD 23, SD 4, ED 5, SN 358.
- FreeBMD. Charles R Kolthammer & Ethel Martin, Mar Q 1915, Southwark RD.
- E-mails from Gillian & Laura Playford, England, to J Kolthammer.
- E-mails from Graham Kolthammer to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- Letters from Wynne Goss, Crawley, Sussex, to J Kolthammer, dated circa 1991.
- Index to World War 1 Campaign Medals, London, 1914-1920, compiled by British War Office, The National Archives, 2004.
- E-mails from Paul Kolthammer, England, to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- Hamburg Passenger Lists, 1850-1934 (images viewed at ancestry.com), original data: Staatsarchiv Hamburg.
- FreeBMD. Charles Kolthammer, age 37, Mar Q 1929, Barnet RD.
- Letters from Joan Haworth, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk, to J Kolthammer, dated beginning in 1989.
- FreeBMD. Grace Kolthammer, mother's surname Martin, Jun Q 1921, Southwark RD.