#363, (1856 - 1906)
|Mother||Hanna Christine Elisabeth Kolthammer2 (1829 - )|
|Charts||Dietrich Burchard Kolthammer - Eight generations of Descendants |
Ancestors of Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer
Friedrich Kolthammer & Margarete Kobold - children & grandchildren
|Margarete Kathrina Kobold (1862 - 1935)|
|Occupation||Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer was a journeyman tailor.|
|Birth||He was born on 2 Apr 1856 in Celle Maternity Hospital, Celle, Hannover. His mother was Hanne Christine Elisabeth Kolthammer, a servant from Insel, Schneverdingen. Father's name not recorded.2|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 12 Apr 1856 in Evangelische Kirche, Celle, Hannover, by Pastor Greiling. The witness was Mrs Magdalene von Barden, from Bülkau.2|
|Note.||Friedrich Wilhelm's place of origin was reported on his children's baptism records several ways:|
Solten, Zelle, Soldau, Soltau, Celle (all in the Kingdom of Hanover.)3
|Research Note||Not found in the 1881 English census.|
|Immigration||He immigrated to England between 1881 and 1884.3|
|Research Note||He is not in the index of those receiving a certificate of naturalization in England.4|
|Marriage||He married Margarete Kathrina Kobold, daughter of Johann Georg Kobold and Marie Catharine Rosina Hölter, on 10 Feb 1884 in the German Protestant Reformed Church, Whitechapel, Middlesex.|
The church register reads: Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer, 27, ledig, Schneider, aus Zelle, Hanover, father Friedrich Kolthammer, Schullehrer (deceased); Catharine Margarethe g. Koboldt, 21, ledig aus Eichenaü, Gerabronn, Wurttberg, father Georg Koboldt, Bauer; Their residence was 2 Turners Buildings, Oriental St E. The witnesses were William John Warneck and Mathilda Sophia Warneck
[Note: ledig = single, Schneider = tailor, Schullehrer = schoolteacher, Bauer = farmer]
Information from the civil marriage certificate: Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer, age 27, Bachelor, Tailor, son of Friedrich Kolthammer, Schoolmaster (deceased) married Margarete Kathrina Koboldt, 22, Spinster, daughter of Georg Koboldt, Farmer. They both resided at 2 Turner's Buildings in Poplar and were married in the German Protestant Reformed Church, Whitechapel by Minister E A Ehemann. Witnesses were William John & Matilda Sophia Warneck.5,1
|Anecdote||Descendant Joan Haworth told a family story of how they met: |
FWK delivered a suit to the house in Celle, Germany at which MKK was a servant, and that's how they met. One household mentioned in family talk was Lady Ponsonby but the name Lady Bartlett is also mentioned.
[If this is true, they knew one another before coming to England, where they married]6
|(Son) Birth||Son Frederick William was born on 4 Dec 1884 in London. Their residence was No 8, Paris Terrace, Hind Street, Poplar.3,7|
|(Dtr) Birth||Daughter Anna Margaretha was born on 13 Mar 1886 in Southwark, London. They lived at No 4, Park Street, Borough Market SE.3,8,9|
|(Son) Birth||Son William Henry was born on 21 Nov 1887 in 128 Queens Buildings, H Block, St. Saviour, Surrey.10,3|
|(Son) Birth||Son John was born on 9 Dec 1889 in London. Their residence was No 130 H Block, Queen's Building, Borough.3,11|
|1891 Census||Fritz and Magerita [sic] Kolthammer appeared on the 1891 Census of Southwark, St George the Martyr Civil Parish, London, at 130 H Block, Queens Buildings, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. Fritz was 36, employed as a Tailor, and was born in Germany. Magerita was 27 and born in Germany. They occupied two rooms with their children Fritz (6), Annie (5), Wilar (3), and Otto (1). The eldest two attended school.12|
|(Son) Birth||Son Charles Robert was born on 11 Dec 1891 in London. Their residence was No 31, Queen's Buildings, Southwark Road S.E.3,14|
|Residence||On 20 Mar 1892, Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer lived in 31 Queens Bldgs, Southwark.15|
|(Dtr) Birth||Daughter Bertha Margaretha was born on 30 Dec 1893 in London.15,16|
|Residence||On 7 Oct 1894, Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer lived in 25 Queens Bldgs, London.15|
|(Dtr) Birth||Daughter Eda Christina was born on 28 Apr 1896 in 25 Queen's Buildings, London.6,15|
|(Son) Birth||Son George was born in May 1898.17,18|
|(Witness) Death||Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer registered the death of George Kolthammer.19|
|(Dtr) Birth||Daughter Lily was born on 1 Oct 1899.20|
|1901 Census||F.W. and Margarete Kolthammer appeared on the 1901 Census of St George The Martyr Civil Parish, Southwark, London, at 25 Southwark Bridge Road, enumerated 31 Mar 1901. The family lived in 3 rooms. F.W. was 44, worked as a tailor, and was born in Germany. Margarete was 38 and born in Germany. With them were their children Fredrick (16), Anna (15), William (13, office boy), Otto (11), Charles (9), Bertha (7), Eda (5), and Lilly (1).9|
|(Son) Birth||Son Harold Claude was born on 20 Jan 1904. He died in July at the age of six months.21|
|Death||He died on 20 Jun 1906 in German Hospital, Dalston, London.|
Details from the certificate: Frederick Kolthammer, age 50, Tailor (Journeyman) of 25 Queens Buildings Southwark Bridge Road, died of Pulmonar Tuberculous Suffocation. The death was registered 21 June 1906 by his widow, M Kolthammer of 25 Queens Buildings.22
|Burial||Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer was buried on 23 Jun 1906 in Manor Park Cemetery, Newham.23|
|Last Edited||23 Jan 2017|
- Copy marriage certificate of Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer and Margarete Kathrina Koboldt, married 10 February 1884 in the Registration District of Whitechapel.
- Certificate of baptism of Friedrich Wilhelm Kolthammer, 12 April 1856, Celle Lutheran Church, certified transcription.
- Microfilm of the Baptisms of St George's German Lutheran Church, Whitechapel, Middlesex, 1857-1897 (Family History Library, 1752197).
- Index to Certificates of Naturalization, FHL 824515, 1844-1900, compiled by Public Record Office, London, filmed 1970.
- Microfilm of the Marriages of the German Protestant Reformed Church, 1871-1938 (Family History Library, 1785883).
- Letters from Joan Haworth, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk, to J Kolthammer, dated beginning in 1989.
- FreeBMD. Frederick Kolthammer, Mar Q 1885, Poplar RD.
- FreeBMD. Margreta Kolthammer, Jun Q 1886, St Saviour RD.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG 13/366 folio 127.
- Copy birth certificate of Henry William Kolthammer, born 21 November 1887, registered 2 January 1888 in the Registration District of St Saviour Surrey.
- FreeBMD. Otto Kolthammer, Mar Q 1890, St Saviour RD.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/346 folio 143.
- E-mails from Roberta Arens to J Kolthammer.
- FreeBMD. Charles Robert Kolthammer, Mar Q 1892, St Saviour RD.
- Index to St. Georges German Lutheran Church, Little Alie Street, London, Baptisms, copied by a mailing list volunteer, 1998.
- FreeBMD. Bertha Margareta Kolthammer, Mar Q 1894, Lambeth RD.
- FreeBMD. George Kolthammer, Sep Q 1898, St Saviour RD.
- Baptisms of St George the Martyr, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. George Kolthammer, 1899, #1826.
- FreeBMD. George Kolthammer, age 1, Sep Q 1899, St Saviour RD.
- Baptisms of St George the Martyr, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Lily Kolthammer, 1899, #1954.
- Baptisms of St George the Martyr, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Harold Claude Kolthammer, 1904, #1190.
- Copy death certificate of Frederick Kolthammer, died 20 June 1906, registered 21 June 1906 in the Registration District of Hackney.
- DeceasedOnline.com Indexes to Burials (http://www.deceasedonline), Frederick Kolthammer, 23 Jun 1906, Manor Park Cemetery (Newham).
- Copy death certificate of Harold Claude Kolthammer, died 25 July 1904, registered 25 July 1904 in the Registration District of Southwark.