#2502, (1901 - 1975)
|Father||John Bonnycastle1,2,3 (1874 - 1955)|
|Mother||Grace Lillian Hubbs1,3,2 (1881 - 1904)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandson of John Bonnycastle|
|Charts||5 Generations of Descendants of Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle (1791-1847)|
|Lorena Roxa Muir (1901 - 1990)|
|Occupation||Douglas John Bonnycastle was a mechanic and a logger.|
|Birth||He was born on 4 Dec 1901 in Indian Head, Saskatchewan.1,2|
|(Mother died) Death||Muriel, Douglas and Lenora was 2 years old when his mother died.4|
|(with Father) 1911 Census||Douglas J Bonnycastle appeared on the 1911 Census of Calgary, Alberta with his father and stepmother. He was 7 years old, born in October 1903 in Ontario [sic], and attended school 10 months that year.5|
|(with Parents) 1916 Census||Douglas appeared on the 1916 Census of Calgary, Alberta as a son to John and Hatty. He was 14, born in Saskatchewan, Anglican, and attended school.6|
|Marriage||Douglas John Bonnycastle married Lorena Roxa Muir, daughter of Robert Archibald Muir and Emma Amelia Waite, on 27 Oct 1923 in 291 Slocan Street, Vancouver, British Columbia.|
Information from marriage certificate:
Douglas John Bonny Castle: mechanic, bachelor, 22, religion English, residence 6449 Gladstone, born Indian Head Saskatchewan, father Jack Bonny Castle born Cambleford Ontario, mother Grace Hubbs born Indian Head Saskatchewan.
Lorena Roxa Muir: Telephone operator, spinster, 22, English religion, residence 6449 Gladstone St, Vancouver; father Robert Archibald Muir born Quebec, mother Emma Emelia Waite born Ontario.
Witnesses were Charlotte Baxter and Mrs T.H. Wright. Married by Methodist clergyman T.H. Wright of 291 Slocan Street.3
|Residence||In 1937, Douglas John Bonnycastle lived at 2531 Wall Street, Vancouver, British Columbia.7|
|(Informant) Death||He registered the 1950 death of Lorena Grace Bonnycastle. He was recorded as father Douglas Bonnycastle of 4220 Imperial St., Burnaby.8|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in John Bonnycastle's 1955 obituary as son Douglas, Hope BC.9|
|(Pallbearer) Burial||Douglas John Bonnycastle was a pallbearer in the funeral of his uncle Roland Clint Barwell, 30 Mar 1961 in Chilliwack.10|
|Death||Douglas died on 9 Nov 1975 in Chilliwack General Hospital, Chilliwack, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: usual residence #34-6035 Vedder Road, Vedder Crossing; married to Lorena Roxa Muir, logger, born December 4th 1901 in Indian Head Saskatchewan, age 73, father Jack Bonnycastle, mother N/K Hobbs, both born Indian Head. The informant was his wife Lorena. Cremation.2
|Obituary||His obituary was published on 12 Nov 1975 in the Chilliwack Progress. |
Funeral service was held today in Henderson's Funeral Chapel for Douglas John Bonnycastle, No. 34, Solomas Park, 6035 Vedder Road, Vedder Crossing, who died November 9 in Chilliwack General Hospital. Cremation followed.
Rev. Robert Gorrie officiated.
Mr. Bonnycastle was born on December 4, 1901, in Indian Head, Saskatchewan. He first came to Chilliwack in 1905. He worked for several years as a motorman on the BC Electric interurban between Vancouver and Central park then worked as a logger, working for G. & F. Logging. He became caretaker for three years at Chain Lake Resort near Princeton. He resided in Cache Creek for three years before returning to Chilliwack a year ago.
He is survived by his wife Lorena; one sister, Mrs. Muriel Raeside, Vancouver; step-sisters and step-brothers.11
|Last Edited||20 May 2009|
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births more than 100 years ago, viewed online at eHealth Saskatchewan. Reg No 2607 (Douglas John, 1901/12/4, Indian Head, s/o Grace Hubbs & John Henry Bonnycastle).
- Death certificate of Douglas John Bonnycastle, died 9 November 1975, registered 10 November 1975 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #75-09-016515.
- Marriage certificate of Douglas John Bonny Castle and Lorena Roxa Muir, married 27 October 1923 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #23-09-281501.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Deaths, more than 70 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Grace Lillian Bonnycastle.
- 1911 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Alberta, Calgary (1), Calgary City (subdist 26), page 12.
- 1916 Census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Alberta, District Calgary East, Subdistrict 34, ED 8 in City of Calgary, Page 12.
- BC Directory; "D Bonneycastle, D r 2531 Wall."
- Death certificate of Lorena Grace Dunlop, died 16 June 1950, registered 3 July 1950 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #50-09-006845.
- Obituary of John Bonnycastle in Vancouver Sun, 29 Aug 1955.
- Death certificate of Roland Clint Barwell, died 27 March 1961, registered 28 March 1961 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #61-09-004334.
- Obituary of Douglas John Bonnycastle in Chilliwack Progress, 12 November 1975, page 7A (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).