#288, (c 1788 - 1863)
|Charlotte Bonnycastle (1788 - )|
|Research Note||There is another Henry & Charlotte Gritten! They are living and having children in Lambeth, then St Martin in the Fields. Henry was born about 1795 and was a carver & gilder.|
|Research Note||The spellings Gritten and Gritton are used interchangeably.|
|Military||Henry (1788), his son Fermor (1820) and Fermor's son Henry (1844) were all in the Royal Marine Light Infantry.2|
|Birth||Henry Gritton was born circa 1788 in Wendron, Cornwall.3,4|
|Marriage License||Henry Gritton obtained a marriage license on 25 Feb 1813. The particulars were: Henry Gritten of Woolwich, Kent, bachelor, full age; Charlotte Bonnycastle, same parish, spinster, full age; licence for marriage in parish church of Woolwich; signed HGritten.5|
|Marriage||He married Charlotte Bonnycastle, daughter of John Bonnycastle and Bridget Bonnycastle, on 27 Feb 1813 in St. Mary Church, Woolwich, Kent.|
Information from the register: Henry Gritten and Charlotte Bonnycastle were a bachelor and spinster and were married by license. The witnesses were M.F. Hommey [uncle], H. Hommey [aunt], and B. Bonnycastle [probably Charlotte's mother].1,6
|1861 Census||Henry Gritton appeared on the 1861 Census of New Brompton, Gillingham Parish, Kent, enumerated 7 Apr 1861. He was 72, a widower, Leiut Half Pay R M, and was born in Windron [sic], Cornwall.4|
|Death||Henry died on 9 Sep 1863 in West Tytherton, Wiltshire.3,7|
|Obituary||His obituary was published on 12 Sep 1863 in the London Times. |
On the 9th inst, at the residence of his son, Major Gritton, West Tytherton near Chippenham, Wilts, Henry Gritton, Esq., in his 76th year.3
|Probate||His estate was proved on 21 Oct 1863. Entry from the calendar:|
Gritton Henry. The Will of Henry Gritton formerly of 3 St. Mary's-place New Brompton in the Parish of Gillingham in the County of Kent but late of West Tytherton near Chippenham in the County of Wilts Gentleman deceased who died 9 September 1863 at West Tytherton aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton of West Tytherton aforesaid Captain in the Royal Marines the Son the sole Executor. Effects under £3,000.7
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2012|
- Microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts of St Mary Woolwich, Kent, 1813-1818 (Family History Library, 307732), Gritten/Bonnycastle marriage, 1813.
- E-mails from Helen Withey to J Kolthammer, 30 April 2003 (letter).
- The London Times (Times Digital Archive), 12 Sep 1863, p 1, column A.
- Online image of the 1861 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), RG9/480 folio 65.
- Marriage Licence Allegation for Henry Gritten and Charlotte Bonnycastle, Vicar-General's Office, 25 February 1813.
- Marriages of the parish of Woolwich. registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Henry Gritten & Charlotte Bonnycastle, 1813, #12.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Henry Gritton, 1885.
- Baptisms of St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, Kent. Registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, 1820, #609.