#48, (1788 - )
|Father||John Bonnycastle2,1 (1751 - 1821)|
|Mother||Bridget Newell4,1 (1754 - 1825)|
|Relationship||Daughter of John Bonnycastle|
|Henry Gritton (c 1788 - 1863)|
|Birth||Charlotte Bonnycastle was born on 9 Jan 1788 in Woolwich, Kent.5|
|Baptism||She was baptized on 7 Feb 1788 in St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, Kent. She was noted to be the child of John & Bridget.1|
|(Witness) Marriage||Charlotte Bonnycastle witnessed the marriage of Matthew Thomas Francis Hommey and her aunt Hephzibah Henry on 19 Jul 1806 in St Mary's Church, Lewisham, Kent. The register recorded her name as C. Bonnycastle.6|
|Marriage||Charlotte Bonnycastle married Henry Gritton on 27 Feb 1813 in St. Mary Church, Woolwich, Kent.|
Information from the register: Henry Gritten and Charlotte Bonnycastle were a bachelor and spinster and were married by license. The witnesses were M.F. Hommey [uncle], H. Hommey [aunt], and B. Bonnycastle [probably Charlotte's mother].3,7
|(Heir) Will||Charlotte Gritten [sic] was named an heir in the will of her father John Bonnycastle dated 17 Aug 1816.8|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in John Bonnycastle's 1822 obituary as a daughter still living, but not by name.9|
|Research Note|| Charlotte's husband was a widower in the 1861 census. There is a burial for a Charlotte Gritton 28 March 1833 in St Leonard Shoreditch, Middlesex, age 45, residence Miles, Hoxton.|
N.B. There is another Henry and Charlotte Gritton family in the London area about the same time. This other family had several children from 1814 to 1837.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2012|
- Baptisms of St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, Kent. Registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Charlotte Bonnycastle, 1788.
- Letter from Humphrey Bonnycastle (Philadelphia) to a friend in England, 1838; University of Virginia Library (Charlottesville, Virginia).
- Microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts of St Mary Woolwich, Kent, 1813-1818 (Family History Library, 307732), Gritten/Bonnycastle marriage, 1813.
- Edward Cave and others, "Gentleman's Magazine" (publication, London, 1731-), 7 Oct 1786, p.995.
- Evelyn Luttrell, Bonnycastle Family Tree, undated but likely circa 1950, stated that birth records were originally taken from an old family Bible; Charlottes' birth date was reputed to be 9 Jan 1788 (but may have been a baptism date).
- Microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts of St Mary's Lewisham, 1801-1809 (Family History Library, 288425), No. 992.
- Marriages of the parish of Woolwich. registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Henry Gritten & Charlotte Bonnycastle, 1813, #12.
- Will and Administration of John Bonnycastle, Professor of Mathematics in the Royal Military Academy Woolwich, 17 August 1816, proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 27 September 1821.
- The Annual Biography and Obituary for the Year 1822 (London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1822), viewed on Google Books, No. XVI, John Bonnycastle, Esq. obituary, page 437.
- Baptisms of St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, Kent. Registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, 1820, #609.