Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton1
#2923, (1820 - 1885)
|Father||Henry Gritton1 (c 1788 - 1863)|
|Mother||Charlotte Bonnycastle1 (1788 - )|
|Relationship||Grandson of John Bonnycastle|
|Caroline Ann Budd (1819 - 1882)|
|Military|| Three generations of Grittons were in the Royal Marine Light Infantry - Henry (b1788), Fermor (b1820) and Henry (b1844).2|
|Baptism||Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton was baptized on 29 Jul 1820 in St. Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, Kent. He was the son of Henry, a Gentleman, & Charlotte Gritton of Woolwich Common.1|
|Marriage||He married Caroline Ann Budd, daughter of Hopewell Hayward Budd and Sophia Tuckey, in 1843.3|
|Newspaper|| Published 1844. |
Marriages.At Winterbourne Basset, Wilts, Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, esq. Royal Marines, grandson of the celebrated Professor Bonnycastle, to Caroline-Anne, daughter of Captain H.H. Budd, R.N. of Winterbourne.4
|1851 Census||Fermor B and Caroline A Gritton appeared on the 1851 Census of Brompton, Gillingham parish, Kent, at 9 Park Terrace, enumerated 30 Mar 1851. Fermor was 28, a Lieutenant in the Marines, and was born in Lewisham, Kent. Caroline was 31 and born in Calne, Wiltshire. Their children Caroline Sophia Louisa and James Fermor were living with them, as well as a house servant and a nursery maid.5|
|Newspaper|| Published 24 Oct 1854 in the London Times. |
Naval and Military Intelligence.
The following promotions, &c., have taken place in the Royal Marine corps:--
First-Lieutenant Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, of the Chatham division (serving in Her Majesty's ship Waterloo, 120, at Sheerness), to be Captain, and appointed to the Portsmouth division, vice Fraser.6
|Newspaper|| Published 24 Jun 1863 in the London Times. |
from the London Gazette, June 23, Downing-Street June 22.
Capt. Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, retired full-pay Royal Marines, to have the honorary rank of Major, under Her Majesty's Order in Council of the 13th of November, 1858.7
|(Admon) Probate||Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton of West Tytherton, Wiltshire, Captain in the Royal Marines was granted administration of his father Henry Gritton's estate on 21 Oct 1863.8|
|1871 Census||Fermor Bonnycastle and Caroline Amelia [sic] Gritton appeared on the 1871 Census of Langley Burrell, Wiltshire, at Tytherton, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. Fermor was 48, a Major in the Army, retired, and was born in Lewisham. Caroline was 50 and born in Calne. Their children Caroline Sophia Louisa, Charlotte Mary, George Bonnycastle and Elizabeth Anne were living with them, along with one general servant.9|
|1881 Census||Fermon B [sic] and Caroline Gritton appeared on the 1881 Census of Holt, Wiltshire, at Eglinton Villa, enumerated 3 Apr 1881. Fermor was 59, a retired Major R. Marines, and born in Lewisham. Caroline was 62 and born in Calne. Their children Caroline Sophia Louisa and Elizabeth Anne were living with them, as well as one general servant.10|
|Death||Fermor died on 1 Jan 1885 in Holt, Wiltshire.11|
|Burial||He was buried on 6 Jan 1885 in Wiltshire.12|
|Probate||His estate was proved on 20 Feb 1885. Entry from the calendar:|
Gritton Fermor Bonnycastle. Administration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton formerly of Tytherton Lucas in the Parish of Langley Burrell but late of Holt both in the County of Wilts a Major in the Army and Captain retired full pay of the Corps of Royal Marine Light Infantry who died 1 January 1885 at Holt was granted at Salisbury to Caroline Sophia Louisa Gritton of Holt spinster the Daughter one of the Universal legatees substituted. Personal Estate £2,424 9s 3d.11
|Last Edited||24 Nov 2012|
- Baptisms of St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, Kent. Registers from London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry.com, Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, 1820, #609.
- E-mails from Helen Withey to J Kolthammer.
- Website FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/), "Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton & Caroline Anne Budd, Dec Q 1843, Marlboro RD."
- Edward Cave and others, "Gentleman's Magazine" (publication, London, 1731-), February 1844, page 195.
- Online image of the 1851 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), HO107/1611 folio 609.
- The London Times (Times Digital Archive), page 10, Issue 21880; col A (online image).
- The London Times (Times Digital Archive), page 10, Issue 24593; col C (online image).
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Henry Gritton, 1885.
- Online image of the 1871 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), RG10/1899 folio 94.
- Online image of the 1881 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), RG11/2049 folio 51.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton, 1885.
- Family Search Indexes to England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991. Text only, no image, Fermor Bonnycastle Gritton burial; source film #1279348 (parish registers for Holt).
- Website International Genealogical Index, parish register extraction (www.familysearch.org).
- E-mails from Helen Withey to J Kolthammer, chart dated 25 April 2003.