Leonard Carl Hawkins1
#681, (1888 - 1970)
|Father||Herbert Edward Hawkins2,1 (1843 - )|
|Mother||Sarah Ann Reed2,1 (1850 - )|
|Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle (1889 - 1968)|
|Occupation||Leonard Carl Hawkins was a civil engineer, P.Eng, Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, who worked on mega-dam projects in the Peace River District.3|
|Called||With the initials L C, he was given the nickname,"Elsie" -horrors, a girl's name- at school until he thought of quietly substituting a "K" for the "C", and so his name became Karl rather than Carl.3|
|Birth||He was born on 2 Aug 1888 in 15 Great College Street, Brighton, Sussex, England.|
Details from birth certificate: Leonard Carl, father Herbert Edward Hawkins, Foreman at Mineral water manufactory, mother Sarah Ann Hawkins formerly Reed, registered by mother S.A. Hawkins of 15 Great College Street on 12 September 1888.1
|1891 Census||Leonard Karl appeared on the 1891 Census of Brighton, Sussex, at 15 Great College Street. He was with his parents, Herbert E (47, manager Mineral Water Works, born Worcester) & Sarah Ann (40, Rottingdean). Their children were Winifred A (14), Christine I (9), Leonard Karl (2), and Dorothy E (1). Also there was Mary Jane Reed (53, single).4|
|1901 Census||Leonard K Hawkins appeared on the 1901 Census of Brighton, Sussex, at 151 Lewes Road. He was 12 years old and born in Brighton. His parents were Herbert E (57, water merchants manager, birthplace Worcester) and Sarah A (51, Rottingdean Sussex). Siblings were Winifred A (24), Christine (19, milliners saleswoman), Dorothy E (11), and Margaret L E (5).5|
|Marriage||He married Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, daughter of Charles Green Bonnycastle and Sarah Oliver, on 26 Jul 1913 in St. Thomas Church, Chilliwack, British Columbia.|
Information from marriage certificate: Leonard Karl Hawkins, 24, bachelor, merchant, residence Vancouver, born in Brighton England, son of Herbert Edward Hawkins, merchant, & Sarah Anne Reed?, Anglican;
Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, 23, spinster, residence Chilliwack, born in Saskatchewan, daughter of Charles G Bonnycastle, farmer, & Sarah Oliver, Anglican;
They were married by licence and the witnesses were L.F. Murphy and Chas Bonnycastle.2
|Newspaper|| Published 30 Jul 1913 in the The Chilliwack Progress. |
A quiet but very pretty wedding was solemnized at St. Thomas church early Saturday morning, when the Rev. Canon Hinchliffe united in the holy bonds of matrimony Miss Eleanor Mary, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.G. Bonnycastle, Williams road, to Leonard Karl Hawkins of Vancouver. The marriage took place about 8 o'clock, the church being very prettily decorated for the occasion with sweet peas and dahlias. The bride, who was given away by her father, was charmingly gowned in a white serge suit with hat to match. She carried a pretty bridal bouquet and was unattended. After the ceremony, the guests, consisting of only the most intimate friends of the bridal couple, returned to the home of the bride's parents where a very dainty wedding breakfast was served. The bridal couple took the early morning train for Vancouver where they will reside. Many very pretty and useful gifts were received.6
|(Subject) Photograph||Here is Leonard in a family photo.7|
|1921 Census||Leonard and Eleanor Hawkins appeared on the 1921 Census of Vancouver, British Columbia, at 3856 Commercial Drive. They owned their 6-room wood house. Leonard was 33, born in England, immigrated in 1905, and was a Civil Engineer working for the Railroad, earning $2000 in the past year. Eleanor was 32, born in Saskatchewan. Their children were Channing (6), George (5), Michael (3), and David (10 months), all born in BC. The family was Anglican.8|
|Photograph||Here is a photo of Len & Mary Hawkins with their daughter Faith taken on the museum train in Edmonton in 1957.9|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Eleanor Mary Hawkins's 1968 obituary as loving husband Mr. Karl Hawkins.10|
|Death||Leonard died on 4 Jul 1970 in Edmonton, Alberta.9|
|Obituary||His obituary was published on 6 Jul 1970 in the Edmonton Journal. |
On July 4, 1970. Mr. Leonard K. Hawkins, of 701 Oliver Place, passed away. He leaves to mourn his loss, one daughter, Mrs. Bryan (Faith) Campbell-Hope, Edmonton; four sons, George, Edmonton, Channing, Vancouver, Michael, Ottawa, and Ian, Chatham, Ontario, one sister, Mrs. Dolly Fisher, England and 12 grandchildren.
The funeral service will be held in the Roy and Owen Chapel of Chimes, on Tuesday, July 7, at 1:00 p.m., with Archdeacon G.W. Wilson officiating, and interment in Edmonton Cemetery.11
|Burial||He was buried on 7 Jul 1970 in Edmonton Cemetery, Edmonton, Alberta. In the same plot is Eleanor (1968).12|
|Last Edited||6 May 2014|
- Copy birth certificate of Leonard Carl Hawkins, born 2 August 1888, registered 12 September 1888 in the Registration District of Brighton.
- Marriage certificate of Leonard Karl Hawkins and Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, married 26 July 1913 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #13-09-031852.
- E-mails from Carell Goldney to J Kolthammer, beginning November 2008.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), RG12/803 folio 58.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (Ancestry.com, www.ancestry.co.uk), RG13/925 folio 90.
- 'Hawkins-Bonnycastle', Chilliwack Progress, 30 July 1913 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Letters from Georgia Rickson, Vancouver, to J Kolthammer, dated early 1990s.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Vancouver South, Sub-District 35, Page 2.
- E-mails from Bryan Campbell-Hope to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- Obituary of Eleanor Mary Hawkins in unknown newspaper, 5 January 1968.
- Obituary of Leonard K. Hawkins in Edmonton Journal, 6 July 1970.
- Burial Records for Edmonton Municipal Cemeteries, online http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt, Section OA, Block Z, Plot 12A; Leonard and Eleanor.
- Death certificate of Channing Briton Hawkins, died 22 December 1970, registered 22 December 1970 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #70-09-017084.