#47, (1889 - 1968)
|Father||Charles Green Bonnycastle1,3 (1844 - 1926)|
|Mother||Sarah Oliver1,3 (1851 - 1931)|
|Relationship||2nd great-granddaughter of John Bonnycastle|
|Leonard Carl Hawkins (1888 - 1970)|
|Called||Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle went by the name of Mary.|
|Birth||She was born on 6 May 1889 in Section 12 Township 20 Range 12 W2, Katepwa, North West Territories.2,3|
|Baptism||She was baptized on 1 Nov 1890 in St. John's Anglican Church, Fort Qu'Appelle, North West Territories. The register reads, "Mary Eleanor, to Charles Gordon and Sarah Bonnycastle of Katepwe, NWT, baptized by The Reverend J.P. Sargent."3|
|(with Parents) 1891 Census||She appeared on the 1891 Census of Qu'Appelle, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories with her parents. She was 2, born in N.W.T., father born in Ontario, mother in England, and religion Church of England.4|
|(Subject) Photograph||Here is a photo taken outside the brick Bonnycastle home in Katepwa, NWT (now known as Saskatchewan). It includes Sarah, her daughters Maud, Lyall, and the youngest, Mary.5|
|(Subject) Photograph||Mary is in the buggy with her mother Sarah.5|
|(with Parents) 1901 Census||Eleanor M Bonnycastle appeared on the 1901 Census of Katepwa, Assiniboia, North West Territories with her parents. She was 12 years old, born 6 May 1889 in Assiniboia, and did not attend school that year.6|
|.||Mary attended St Gabriels Convent in Lebret, Assiniboia.7|
|(with Parents) 1911 Census||Mary Bonnycastle appeared on the 1911 Census of Chilliwack, British Columbia with her parents. She was 21, birthdate unreadable, birthplace Saskatchewan.8|
|Marriage||She married Leonard Carl Hawkins, son of Herbert Edward Hawkins and Sarah Ann Reed, on 26 Jul 1913 in St. Thomas Church, Chilliwack, British Columbia.|
Information from marriage certificate: Leonard Karl Hawkins, 24, bachelor, merchant, residence Vancouver, born in Brighton England, son of Herbert Edward Hawkins, merchant, & Sarah Anne Reed?, Anglican;
Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, 23, spinster, residence Chilliwack, born in Saskatchewan, daughter of Charles G Bonnycastle, farmer, & Sarah Oliver, Anglican;
They were married by licence and the witnesses were L.F. Murphy and Chas Bonnycastle.1
|Newspaper|| Published 30 Jul 1913 in the The Chilliwack Progress. |
A quiet but very pretty wedding was solemnized at St. Thomas church early Saturday morning, when the Rev. Canon Hinchliffe united in the holy bonds of matrimony Miss Eleanor Mary, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.G. Bonnycastle, Williams road, to Leonard Karl Hawkins of Vancouver. The marriage took place about 8 o'clock, the church being very prettily decorated for the occasion with sweet peas and dahlias. The bride, who was given away by her father, was charmingly gowned in a white serge suit with hat to match. She carried a pretty bridal bouquet and was unattended. After the ceremony, the guests, consisting of only the most intimate friends of the bridal couple, returned to the home of the bride's parents where a very dainty wedding breakfast was served. The bridal couple took the early morning train for Vancouver where they will reside. Many very pretty and useful gifts were received.9
|Photograph||Here is a photograph of George Bonnycastle and his sister Mary Hawkins and their families.10|
|1921 Census||Leonard and Eleanor Hawkins appeared on the 1921 Census of Vancouver, British Columbia, at 3856 Commercial Drive. They owned their 6-room wood house. Leonard was 33, born in England, immigrated in 1905, and was a Civil Engineer working for the Railroad, earning $2000 in the past year. Eleanor was 32, born in Saskatchewan. Their children were Channing (6), George (5), Michael (3), and David (10 months), all born in BC. The family was Anglican.11|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in her father Charles Green Bonnycastle's 1926 obituary as Mrs. L.H. Hawkins of Burnaby.12|
|(Executor & Heir) Will||Eleanor Mary Hawkins was named an executrix and an heir in the will of Sarah Bonnycastle dated 1 Jun 1928 in Chilliwack, British Columbia. Each of Sarah's children was to receive $100 annually from the sale of the farm until it was fully paid, and an equal share of the residue of the estate.13|
|(In) Photograph||Mary was photographed with her sisters Lyall and Maud, along with her sons Ian and Michael.7|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in Maud Barwell's 1953 obituary as sister Mrs. Mary Hawkins, Edmonton.14|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in John Bonnycastle's 1955 obituary as sister Mrs L Hawkins, Edmonton.15|
|Photograph||Here is a photo of Len & Mary Hawkins with their daughter Faith taken on the museum train in Edmonton in 1957.5|
|Residence||On 26 Aug 1959, Mary Hawkins lived on Mayne Island, British Columbia.16|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in Lyall Bonnycastle's 1961 obituary as sister Mrs. Leonard Hawkins of Mayne Island.17|
|Death||Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle Hawkins died on 5 Jan 1968 in Edmonton, Alberta.5|
|Obituary||Her obituary was published on 5 Jan 1968. |
On January 5, 1968, Mrs. Eleanor Mary Hawkins, of Norwood Auxiliary Hospital, passed away aged 78 years. She leaves to mourn her loss, her loving husband, Mr. Karl Hawkins; one daughter, Mrs. B. Campbell-Hope (Faith), Edmonton; four sons, Channing, Vancouver, George, Edmonton, Michael, Ottawa, and Ian, London, Ontario; one brother Mr. George Bonnycastle, Vancouver; and twelve grandchildren.
The funeral service will be held in St. Mark's Anglican Church, 108 Avenue and 111 Street, on Tuesday, January 9, at 3:30 p.m., with interment in Edmonton Cemetery.18
|Burial||She was buried on 9 Jan 1968 in Edmonton Cemetery, Edmonton, Alberta. In the same plot is Leonard (1970).19|
|Last Edited||16 Apr 2014|
- Marriage certificate of Leonard Karl Hawkins and Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, married 26 July 1913 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #13-09-031852.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Reg No 12991 (Eleanor Mary, 1889/5/6, place 12-20-12-2, d/o Sarah Oliver & Charles Green Bonnycastle).
- Parish Register of St John's Anglican Church, Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Mary Eleanor Bonnycastle baptism, 1890 [record copied by the archivist].
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), The Territories, Assiniboia East (198), Qu'Appelle (b-11), page 4 [poor image].
- E-mails from Bryan Campbell-Hope to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Assiniboia E (203), Katepwa (d-2), page 3, line 24.
- E-mails from Carell Goldney to J Kolthammer, beginning November 2008.
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), British Columbia, New Westminster (11), subdistrict Chilliwack (35), Page 4.
- 'Hawkins-Bonnycastle', Chilliwack Progress, 30 July 1913 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Letters from Georgia Rickson, Vancouver, to J Kolthammer, dated early 1990s.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Vancouver South, Sub-District 35, Page 2.
- Obituary of C G Bonnycastle in Chilliwack Progress, 14 Oct 1926 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Will of Sarah Oliver Bonnycastle of Chilliwack, 1 June 1928, proved in the Chilliwack Supreme Court, 1931 (British Columbia Archives, File #B8/1931).
- Obituary of Maud Barwell in Chilliwack Progress, 10 June 1953, page 5 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Obituary of John Bonnycastle in Vancouver Sun, 29 Aug 1955.
- Papers and scrapbook of Lyall Bonnycastle Rudd Evans.
- Obituary of Lyall Bonnycastle Evans in unknown newspaper, 1961.
- Obituary of Eleanor Mary Hawkins in unknown newspaper, 5 January 1968.
- Burial Records for Edmonton Municipal Cemeteries, online http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt, Section OA, Block Z, Plot 12A; Leonard and Eleanor.
- Death certificate of Channing Briton Hawkins, died 22 December 1970, registered 22 December 1970 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #70-09-017084.