Thomas Peter Godart1
#17344, (1847 - 1928)
|Father||Thomas Godart1 (1820 - 1887)|
|Mother||Laura Bear1 (c 1828 - 1904)|
|Relationship||Great-grandson of Peter Godart|
|Charts||Peter Godart & Mary Dowson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
Children of Thomas Peter Godart and Katharine Frances Farmer
|Birth||Thomas Peter Godart was born on 14 Dec 1847 in Stepney, Middlesex.2,1|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 30 Jan 1848 in All Saints Mile End New Town, Middlesex. He was the son of Thomas, a painter, & Laura Godart of 3 Philpot Street Commercial Road. His birth date was noted to be Dec 14th 1847.1|
|(with Parents) 1851 Census||Thomas appeared on the 1851 Census of Stepney St Philips, Middlesex with his parents. He was age 3 and born in Mile End O.T.3|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||Thomas appeared on the 1861 Census of Islington, Middlesex with his parents. He was 13, a scholar, and born in Stepney.4|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||Thomas Peter appeared on the 1871 Census of Sydenham, Kent with his parents. He was 23, a Photographer, and born in Stepney.5|
|Marriage||He married Katharine Frances Farmer on 7 Oct 1873 in St Mary's Finchley, Middlesex.|
Information from the register: Thomas Peter Godart, full age, bachelor, photographer, residence Lower Sydenham, father Thomas Godart, librarian;
Katharine Frances Farmer, full age, spinster, Finchley, father William Farmer, engineer;
They were married after banns and the witnesses were William Farmer and [Thomas' sister] Laura Godart.6
|Directory||Thomas Peter Godart was listed in the 1878 London Post Office directory as Godart, Thomas Peter, photographer, 5 Crescent place, Clapham common, Clapham.7|
|Newspaper|| Published 1 Feb 1878. |
Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership lately subsisting between us the undersigned, William Stephen Bradshaw and Thomas Godart, in the business of profession of Photographers and Photographic Artists, carried on by us at No. 103, Newgate-street, in the city of London, under the firm of Bradshaw and Godart, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to and owing from the said partnership will be received and paid respectively by the said William Stephen Bradshaw, who will henceforth carry on the said business or profession on his own account. As witness our hands this 29th day of January, 1878.
|1881 Census||He and Katharine Frances Farmer appeared on the 1881 Census of Clapham, Surrey, at 5 Crescent Place. Thomas was 32, a Photographer, and was born in Stepney Middlesex. Katharine was 32 and born in Clerkenwell, Middlesex. Their children Katharine Laura and Gertrude Frances were living with them, along with a servant, a lodger, and four boarders.2|
|Newspaper|| Published 19 Nov 1881. |
In Judge's Chambers at 11 - Harrow Chemical Colour Company v. Godart.9
|Directory||Thomas Peter Godart was listed in the 1884 London Post Office directory as " Godart & Co photographers, of 52 Imperial bldgs, Ludgate circus."10|
|Newspaper|| Published 18 Jul 1887. |
Law Notices: Queen's Bench Court VII - Divisional Court, at 10:30 - Howat v. Godart Brothers (urgent)[not sure which of the brothers is involved].9
|1891 Census||He and Katharine Frances Farmer appeared on the 1891 Census of Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire, at 41 Wood Street. Thomas was 43, an Artist & Engraver in Wood, Photographer, and employer. He was born in St Georges East, London. Katherine was 43 and born in Clerkenwell, London. Their children Katharine Laura, Gertrude Frances and Thomas Boiville were with them.11|
|1901 Census||Thomas Peter Godart and Katharine Frances Farmer appeared on the 1901 Census of Stoke Newington CP, London, at 40 Finsbury Park Road. Thomas was 52, worked as an Engraver - Process, and was born in Bow, London. Katharine F was 48 and born in Clerkenwell, London. Their children Katharine Laura and Thomas Boiville were living with them, as well as a general domestic servant.12|
|(Next-of-kin) Military||Thomas Peter Godart was listed as next-of-kin on the World War 1 Australian Imperial Force attestation papers of Thomas Boiville Godart on 10 Aug 1914. He was recorded as father T.P. Godart of 40 Finsbury Pk Rd, London.13|
|(Admon) Probate||Thomas Peter Godart, retired artist, was granted administration of his wife Katharine Frances's estate on 12 Jan 1927 in London.14,15|
|Death||Thomas died on 1 Dec 1928.16,17|
|Probate||His estate was proved on 5 Mar 1929 in Principal Probate Registry, London. Entry from the probate calendar: |
GODART Thomas Peter of 40 Finsbury Park-road Stoke Newtington Middlesex, died 1 December 1928. Probate London 5 March to Mary Castor Godart spinster and Kenneth Wakelin Saint solicitor. Effects £453 15s 11d
[Mary Castor Godart was his sister].14,18
|Last Edited||23 May 2013|
- Baptisms of All Saints Mile End New Town, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Peter Godart, 1848, #376.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/637 folio 41.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Charles W Fernee, age 72, Mar Q 1958, Southwark RD.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/150 folio 15.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/768 folio 5.
- Marriages of St Mary Finchley, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Peter Godart & Katharine Frances Farmer, 1873, #282.
- Website Digital Library of Historical Directories (www.historicaldirectories.org), Post Office Directory of Surrey, p2157.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Issue 24548, 1 February 1878.
- The London Times (Times Digital Archive).
- Website Digital Library of Historical Directories (www.historicaldirectories.org), Business Directory of London 1884, Classified Section.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/1053 folio 78.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG13/209 folio 80.
- Website National Archives of Australia (http://www.naa.gov.au/index.aspx), digital copy online.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Legal Notice re estates of Katharine Frances Godart & Thomas Peter Godart, Issue 33495, 14 May 1929, page 59.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Katharine Frances Godart, 1927.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Legal Notice re estate of Thomas Peter Godart, Issue 33495, 14 May 1929, page 62.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Thomas P Godart, age 80, Dec Q 1928, Hackney RD.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Thomas Peter Godart, 1930.
- Website International Genealogical Index, parish register extraction (www.familysearch.org).