#20240, (1868 - 1943)
|Father||Joseph Fernee1 (1832 - 1892)|
|Mother||Sarah Ann Simper1 (c 1837 - 1876)|
|Relationship||2nd great-grandson of Samuel Fernee|
|Charts||Samuel Fernee & Mary Harris - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
Children of Arthur Fernee and Emily Sophia Trenaman
|Birth||Arthur Fernee was born in 1868 in Bromley, Kent.1,2|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||He appeared on the 1871 Census of Bromley, Kent with his parents. Arthur was 2 and born in Bromley, Kent.1|
|Marriage||He married Emily Sophia Trenaman on 23 Dec 1888 in St Paul Upper Holloway, Middlesex.|
Information from the register: Arthur Fernee, 20, bachelor, post office, 19 Kingsdown Road, father Joseph Fernee, gentleman's servant;
Emily Sophia Trenaman, 21, spinster, 19 Kingdown Road, father Henry James Trenaman, cabinet maker;
They were married after banns and the witnesses were Henry James Trenaman and Florence Mary Ann Trenaman.3
|Occupation||Arthur Fernee was appointed to the Postal Service in Dec 1890. The Appointment Minute Book index noted that he was a postman in London. This index leads to other records at the British Postal Museum & Archive in London.4|
|Newspaper|| Published 24 Feb 1891. |
Civil Service Commission, February 24, 1891.
The following Candidates have been certified by the Civil Service Commissioners as qualified for the appointments set against their respective names:-
Post Office: Postmen, London, Arthur Fernee.5
|1891 Census||Arthur and Emily S Fernee appeared on the 1891 Census of Islington, London, at 19 Kingsdown Road. They lived in two rooms. Arthur was 22, worked as a Mail Guard, and was born in Bromley, Kent. Emily S was 23 and born in Clifton, Bristol.6|
|1901 Census||Arthur and Emilie S appeared on the 1901 Census of Wood Green, Middlesex, at 8 Wendover Villas, Terrick Road. Arthur was 32, worked as a Postman, and was born in Bromley, Kent. Emilie S was 33 and born in Clifton, Bristol. Their sons were A E (7) and Albert C (1.)7|
|1911 Census||Arthur and Emily Sophia appeared on the 1911 Census of Walthamstow, Essex, at 35 Colchester Road. They had been married 22 years and lived in 6 rooms. Arthur was 42, a Postman, and was born in Bromley Kent. Emily Sophia was 43, birthplace Bristol Gloucestershire, and was the mother of 8 children, 5 of whom had died. Their children were Arthur Ernest (17, boy messenger), Albert Charles (11), and Gladys Emily (5.)8|
|Death||Arthur died in 1943.9|
|Last Edited||28 Jan 2017|
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/873 folio 66 page 18.
- FreeBMD. Arthur Fernee, Dec Q 1868, Bromley RD.
- Marriages of St Paul Upper Holloway, Islington, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Arthur Fernee & Emily Sophia Trenaman, 1888, #369.
- Index to British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969, compiled by British Postal Museum & Archives, London. Images viewed at Ancestry.com and employment records are available at the Postal Archives, Arthur Fernee, Minute number 6585/90, 852/93, & 4391/27.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Issue 26137, 24 February 1891.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/142 folio 101 page 11.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG13/1258 folio 111 page 4.
- 1911 Census for England & Wales, RD 188 SD 10 ED 7 Schedule 281.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Arthur Fernee, age 74, Jun Q 1943, Edmonton RD.
- Baptisms of St John Holloway, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Arthur William Henry Fernee, 1890, #1287.
- General Register Office Online Birth Index. unnamed male Fernee, mother's surname Trenaman, Sep Q 1895, Edmonton RD.
- General Register Office Online Birth Index. Arthur Fernee, mother's surname Trenaman, Mar Q 1903, Edmonton RD.