#447, (bt 1825 - 1826 - 1904)
|Father||Angus McKinnon2 (bt 1792 - 1796 - 1882)|
|Mother||Mary McFadyen2 (bt 1798 - 1805 - 1889)|
|Relationship||Daughter of Angus McKinnon|
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Christina McKinnon and Thomas Smith
|Birth||Christina McKinnon was born between 1825 and 1826 in Scotland.1|
|(with Parents) 1841 Census||Chirsty appeared on the 1841 Census of Kilfinichen & Kilvicheon, Argyllshire in the household of her parents. She was 15 and born in the county.3|
|(with parents) Immigration||She immigrated with her parents from Mull in Argyll, Scotland to Vaughan Township in York County, Ontario, Canada in 1849.2|
|Marriage||She married Thomas Smith in 1851.|
[Although it wasn't a required field, the 1861 census enumerator helpfully recorded the year of their marriage]4
|1851/2 Census||Thos and Christina Smith appeared on the 1852 Census of Sydenham, Grey County, Ontario, enumerated 12 Jan 1852. Thomas was a servant, born in Ireland, religion Evangelical Union, age 24 next birthday, and married. Christina was 25, born in Scotland, and also a servant. They lived with the Rankin family (a sawyer) in a 1 story frame building but were not family members.5|
|Residence||In 1853, Christina McKinnon and Thomas Smith lived in Con 8, Lot 34, Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario, and the county atlas recorded these details: year settled was 1853, post office Tara, "Mrs Thomas or Christina McKinnon Smith", Thomas was born 1827, nativity Ireland, farmer, Pt Deputy Reeve.6|
|1861 Census||Thomas and Christina Smith appeared on the 1861 Census of Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Thomas was 33, a farmer, Weslayan Methodist, and born in Ireland. Christina wa 34, Free Church, and born in Scotland. They were married in 1851. The children were John (9), Mary (6), Thomas (4), and Isabella (2). John and Mary attended school and the children's religion was Free Church.4|
|1871 Census||Thomas and Christina Smith appeared on the 1871 Census of Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Thomas was 43, born in Ireland, and a farmer. Christina was 44 and born in Scotland. The family was Presbyterian. The children were John (18), Mary (15), Thomas (13), Isabella (11), Christina (9), Agnes (7), James (3), and Robert (1). Isabella, Christina, and Agnes attended school.7|
|1881 Census||Thomas and Christina appeared on the 1881 Census of Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Thomas was 54, born in Ireland and a farmer. Christina was 54 and born in Scotland. They were Presbyterian and of Scotch origin. The children were Mary (25), Christina (19), Agnes (16), James (13), and Robert (11). The youngest three attended school. [The image was very faint so the LDS transcription was consulted; there was a notation in the comments column that could not be read]8|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in Mary McKinnon's 1889 obituary as daughter Mrs. Thos. Smith of Tara.2|
|1891 Census||Thomas and Christina appeared on the 1891 Census of Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario. The Smith family lived in a 2 story, 10 room wood house. Thomas was 64, born in Ireland, father born in Scotland and mother born in Ireland, religion Canada Presbyterian, and was a Farmer. Christina was 64, born in Scotland, parents born in Scotland, and religion Canada Presbyterian. Their children at home were Thomas (33, theology student), Christina (28), Agnes (26), James (23, farmer), and Robert (21, farmer).9|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband Thomas died on 31 Jan 1896.1|
|1901 Census||Cristina Smith appeared on the 1901 Census of Arran, Bruce County, Ontario, at Con 8 Lot 34 & 1/2? 35. She was a widow, age 75, born Feb 1826, Scotland, immigration date blank, of Scotch origin, Presbyterian, a farmer working on her own account, and literate. With her were her single daughters Cristina (39), Agnes (37), & 1 male farm labourer. They owned an 11 room wood house and owned or leased (unclear) 150 acres, 1 house, and 3 lots.10|
|Death||Christina died on 11 Nov 1904 in Bruce County, Ontario.1|
|Burial||She was buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Tara, Arran Twp, Bruce County, Ontario. The headstone reads:|
"Thomas Smith died Jany.31.1896 aged 69 years
a native of Co Wexford, Ireland
also his wife Christina McKinnon died Nov.11.1904. aged 79 years.
faithful unto death."1
|Last Edited||7 Sep 2013|
- Monumental inscription on the gravestone of Thomas Smith (Hillcrest Cemetery, Tara, Arran Township, Bruce County, Ontario), photograph from Lorne Smith.
- Obituary of Mary McKinnon in Unknown newspaper, 1889 (J Kolthammer, photocopy (no source)).
- 1841 Census for Argyll, Scotland (Family History Library, microfilm), The primary occupations are farmer, crofter, ag lab, cotter, servant. Almost everyone is born in the county. Dozens of residents (male and female) are reported to be in service in the south. There is evidence of widespread destitution. "a great portion of this district has of late been laid out as sheep walks which was formerly thickly inhabited by small farmers -- the most of whom are now poor cotters wherever they could find houses and destitute of means to defray their expenses to the Colonies particularly to Canada where they would in general expect to meet Friends who would render them assistance.", Kilfinichen & Kilvicheon, District 10, page 2, house 8.
- Online image of the 1861 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Canada West, Bruce County, Arran Township, Page 42.
- Online image of the 1851/2 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Canada West, Grey County (11), Sydenham (98), page 29.
- Online, Canadian County Atlas Digital Project.
- Online image of the 1871 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (28), Arran Township (e-3), page 50, family 167.
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), Arran (b-2), Page 3.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (52), Arran Township (c-2), page 10.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada, Bruce N (49), Arran (c-4), page 6, line 36. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Smith/Peacock, #001324-79.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Mitchell/Smith, #001420-82.