Calendar of added and updated items
- Added 1921 census information for the majority of relevant folks. If someone in your corner of the family has not yet been found, contact me and we'll try to find them.
- This led to many more children, obituaries, &c being added
New site features:
- Click the button labeled "Extended Family" found near the top of each person's page to open a nifty chart linking to 4 generations of ancestors as well as the person's siblings and children.
- Click on any superscripted citation reference to jump to the highlighted citation.
- A search tab to search this site for names or places.
- Flag icons showing the country to which people immigrated
At least two thirds of the people on the website have had their pages rewritten with added data. Check your people of interest for new obituaries, census records, gravestones, marriages, children, and more. The Canadian 1921 census is out and I've found a few people but will wait for indexing before doing more.
One thorny research problem has been solved by a two-line obituary for Henry J McLean in Colorado in 1954. It mentioned two brothers still living - Arthur in Illinois, George in Iowa. Henry and his siblings were born in the 1870s and 1880s in Illinois. Figuring out the family was hampered by the fact that the enumerator in the 1880 census failed to list the children for their parents, Archibald and Celinda McLean. The 1890 census did not survive, so many of their children had married and scattered before the 1900 census. In the 1900 census, it was recorded that Celinda had borne 11 children, 7 of whom were still living. All 7 have now been identified.
- Finally found Martin McLean & family in the 1861 census in York County, Ontario (thanks to Donna)
- More photos: siblings Duncan, Lottie, & John Nathaniel McLean in 1964; siblings Alexander (Sandy), John Archibald, & and unknown McLean; Duncan McLean & wife Ida Bell Took (North Dakota); Christina McLean & husband John Malcolm
- Newspaper items mentioning Alex McLean, a grocer in Moose Jaw
- Parental and death information about Mabel Gardner who married John Allen McLean, Illinois (Teresa Gardner)
- A few new items for the John Malcolm & Christina McLean family:
- Biography details for John, a councilman and businessman in Red Deer
- Death index info and gravestone photo for daughter Alberta
- Marriage of son Cliff in 1923
- Marriage of son Roy
- Info about son Howard's wife Eileen Edith Ashbee who was born in South Africa and emigrated to Canada (thanks to Gord Stronge)
- A lovely photo on the home page. If you'd like to see other UK photos, check out Geograph which is a project to photograph every square kilometer of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Lots of research on John Nathaniel McLean - marriage, census records, Montana land patent, ten children
- Marriage record for Calvin Ray McGillivray in 1918, Ohio
- Two death registrations for Archibald McGillivray in 1890, Bruce County, Ontario
- Family for Alexander (Sandy) McLean in Moose Jaw
- Death certificate for Hector McLean, age 91, in 1946 in Victoria BC
- Obit for Janet Christina Smith, 1923 in Red Deer, Alberta
- Obit for her mother Mina, 1925 in Red Deer
- A nifty new style of collapsible and expandable descendant chart that is great for seeing the "big picture". You can open up the whole thing or just the portions of interest to you. Check them out -
- The site has undergone renovations! The new look is fresher, easier on the eyes, and now matches my other genealogy websites. Besides the visual changes, much of the content has been rewritten, citations edited, photos cleaned up. There are undoubtedly typos and I count on you to let me know about them. Thank you to everyone who has contributed content to the project and I look forward to continuing work on these families.
- I plan to add maps and some background material on the opening page.
- Photos of Flora McKinnon McLean, her adult children John Archibald, Christina, Flora, and Catherine (thank you Allison)
- Photos of Duncan & Lavinia McLean & children (thank you Scott)