#17, (1851 - 1931)
|Father||Thomas Oliver2,1 (1812 - 1897)|
|Mother||Sarah Way Channing2,1 (1813 - 1888)|
|Relationship||Great-granddaughter of William Oliver|
|Charts||William Oliver (born ~1730) & Ann Wilson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
Ancestors of Sarah Oliver (my line)
Children of Sarah Oliver and Charles Green Bonnycastle
|Birth||Sarah Oliver was born on 5 Jan 1851 in Ashcombe, Devon, England.|
The birth certificate was completed without naming the baby girl. Father Thomas Oliver, schoolmaster, mother Sarah Oliver formerly Channing. The informant was Thomas and the birth was registered on January 20th.2,3
|Baptism||She was baptized on 26 Jan 1851 in Ashcombe, Devon. Godfathers were Uncle Richard & Mr Hammond, Godmothers Aunt Mary & Miss Hammond.4|
|Research Note||Her death certificate reported her birthdate as 3 Jan 1854, the 1901 census as 5 Jan 1853, and the 1911 census as June 1853. Her father's notebook says Jany 5th 1852. However, she appears as a three month old with her parents in the 1851 census and a birth certificate has been found for 5 Jan 1851.|
|(with Parents) 1851 Census||Sarah appeared on the 1851 Census of Ashcombe, Devon living in the school house with her parents. She was 3 months old and was born in Ashcombe.5|
|Immigration||She immigrated immigrated to Canada with her family in the mid to late 1850s. Her death certificate points to 1859 or 60. Her sister Mary's obituary points to c1862.6,7|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||Sarah appeared on the 1861 Census of Seymour Township, Northumberland County, Canada West with her parents. She was 10, attending school, birthplace England.8|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||She appeared on the 1871 Census of Seymour Township, Northumberland County, Ontario with her parents. Sarah was 18, born in England, Church of England.10|
|Marriage||She married Charles Green Bonnycastle, son of Henry William John Bonnycastle and Eleanor Mary Susan Rowed, on 31 Aug 1872 in Campbellford, Northumberland County, Ontario.|
Information from marriage certificate: Charles Greer [sic], 27, bachelor, storekeeper, religion Church of England, parents Henry & Ellen;
Sarah Dolly, 19, spinster, Church of England, parents Thomas & Sarah;
They were married by [Charles' cousin Maria Rowed's husband] J.S. Baker, by license and the witnesses were [Charles' brother] RH Bonnycastle & [Charles' cousin] A Denmark, both of Seymour.11
|1881 Census||Charles and Sarrah [sic] Bonnycastle appeared on the 1881 Census of Seymour Township, Northumberland County, Ontario, enumerated 4 Apr 1881. Charles was 35, born in Ontario, religion Church of England, English origin, and he was a carpenter. Sarah was 28, born in Ontario, same religion and origin. With them were their children Maud, John, Lyall, Thomas, and Richard. Charles' brother Richard was the enumerator for the census.12|
|1891 Census||Sarah Oliver and Charles Green Bonnycastle appeared on the 1891 Census of Qu'Appelle, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories. The Bonnycastle family lived in a two story wood house with 8 rooms. Charles was 49, born in Ontario, father born in New Brunswick, mother in England, religion Church of England, and was a Farmer employing one person. Sarah was 38, born in England, parents born in England, and religion Church of England. Their children Maud, John, Lyall, Thomas, George, Carl Channing and Eleanor Mary were with them.13|
|Photograph||Here is a photo taken outside the brick Bonnycastle home in Katepwa, NWT (now known as Saskatchewan). It includes Sarah, her daughters Maud, Lyall, and the youngest, Mary.14|
|Photograph||Harvest Time! Sarah and daughter Mary are in the buggy.14|
|1901 Census||Charles G H and Sarah Bonnycastle appeared on the 1901 Census of Katepwa, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories, at Section 12 Township 20 Range 12, enumerated 9 Apr 1901. Charles was 56, born February 1845 in rural Ontario, of English origin, religion Church of England, and was a farmer. Sarah was 48, born 5 January 1853 in England, immigrated in 1858, and was also Church of England. They lived in a composite 5 room house and owned 640 acres, 1 house, 7 barns or outbuildings, and leased a further 160 acres. Their children Lyall, Thomas, Carl Channing and Eleanor Mary were living with them, as well as one hired man.15|
|Residence-Moved||Circa 1905, the Bonnycastle family moved to Chilliwack.|
|Newspaper|| Published 3 Aug 1910 in the Chilliwack Progress. |
Mrs C G Bonnycastle and Miss Mary Bonnycastle returned on Friday from a visit at the Coast.16
|1911 Census||Charles and Sarah Bonnycastle appeared on the 1911 Census of Chilliwack, British Columbia, at Williams Road, enumerated 1 Jun 1911. The census image was very faded and difficult to read. Charles was 67, born February 1844 in Ontario, of English origin, Anglican, and was a retired Farmer. Sarah was 58, born in January 1853 in England, and immigrated in 1858 or 9. Their children Eleanor Mary and Thomas were living with them.17|
|(Executor & Heir) Will||Sarah Oliver was named sole executrix and heir in the will of her husband Charles G dated 13 Jan 1919.18|
|1921 Census||Charles G and Sarah Bonnycastle appeared on the 1921 Census of Chilliwack, British Columbia. They owned their single family wood house on Williams Road. Charles was 76, a retired farmer, birthplace Ontario, father born in New Brunswick, mother in England. Sarah was 67, birthplace England, parents born in England, immigration year 1859. They belonged to the Church of England.19|
|Photograph|| Here is a photo of Charles & Sarah in their son Tom's car in front of their house. The picture was just for show. He never drove a car - he drove a buggy pulled by a white horse named Dinah.20|
|Photograph|| Here is a photograph of Sarah taken in the late 1920s at their farm in Chilliwack.21 |
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband Charles died on 12 Oct 1926.22|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||They was mentioned in her husband's Charles Green Bonnycastle's obituary as 'Mrs. Bonnycastle.23'|
|Item||Before 1928 Sarah's granddaughter Murial Grace used to live with her.24|
|Will||She wrote a will dated 1 Jun 1928 in Chilliwack, British Columbia.24|
|Death||Sarah died on 18 Mar 1931 in Williams Road, Chilliwack, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: Sarah Bonnycastle, residence Chilliwack, English origin, widow, born Jan 3rd 1854 in England, age 77 years 2 months 13 days, housewife, has lived at place of death 24 years and in Canada 71 years. Her father was Thomas Oliver, mother Miss Channing, both born in England. The informant was son John Bonnycastle of 8722 Osler Ave Van BC. Burial in English church cemetery.1
|Burial||She was buried in Mar 1931 in English Church Cemetery, Chilliwack, British Columbia.1|
|Anecdote||"a stern little lady - but loving."20|
|Anecdote||"one time we were visiting there and we sat down to dinner and in front of Grandma was a huge mound covered with a white cloth and we wondered -- what could it be! Then when it was time for dessert, she removed the cloth and there was a tremendous mound of huge raspberries...and of course these were from their own garden. They had gorgeous trees loaded with cherries too."20|
|Anecdote||"I was afraid of her...I thought she was awfully mean -- If you didn't eat your breakfast you got it for lunch if not then you got it for supper -- I soon learned to eat my breakfast."25|
|Last Edited||2 Dec 2014|
- Death certificate of Sarah Bonnycastle, died 18 March 1931, registered 23 March 1931 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #31-09-460010.
- Copy birth certificate of unnamed female [Sarah Oliver], born 5 January 1851, registered 20 January 1851 in the Registration District of St Thomas.
- Notebook of Thomas Oliver, Devon and Ontario, held by a descendant, gives birth date of Jany 5th 1852.
- Notebook of Thomas Oliver, Devon and Ontario, held by a descendant, gives year as 1852.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1867 folio 668. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Obituary of Mary Oliver Linton. Undated newspaper clipping in the possession of K Neale.
- British Columbia Death Registration. 31-09-460010.
- 1861 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Canada West, Northumberland County, Seymour township (1), page 24.
- E-mails from Carell Goldney to J Kolthammer, beginning November 2008.
- 1871 Census for Canada "Ontario, Northumberland East (55), Seymour (g-1)."
- Province of Ontario Marriage Registers: Bonnycastle/Oliver marriage, 1872, Family History Library.
- 1881 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, Northumberland East (123), Seymour Township (G-1), page 1.
- 1891 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. The Territories, Assiniboia East (198), Qu'Appelle (b-11), page 4 [poor image].
- E-mails from Bryan Campbell-Hope to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- 1901 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Assiniboia E (203), Katepwa (d-2), page 3, line 24.
- The Chilliwack Progress, 3 August 1910, Page 5. Image viewed at newspapers.com.
- 1911 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, New Westminster (11), subdistrict Chilliwack (35), Page 4.
- Last Will and Testament of Charles G Bonnycastle of Chilliwack, British Columbia, 13 January 1919, proved 22 October 1926. Image viewed at Familysearch.
- 1921 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Fraser Valley 16, SD 13 City of Chilliwack, Page 28.
- Letters from Georgia Rickson, Vancouver, to J Kolthammer, dated early 1990s.
- Communication from Dale Bonnycastle to J Kolthammer.
- Death certificate of Charles Green Bonnycastle, died 12 October 1926, registered 14 October 1926 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #26-09-371001.
- Obituary of C G Bonnycastle in Chilliwack Progress, 14 Oct 1926 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Will of Sarah Oliver Bonnycastle of Chilliwack, 1 June 1928, proved in the Chilliwack Supreme Court, 1931 (British Columbia Archives, File #B8/1931).
- Letters from Marion Denton, British Columbia, to J Kolthammer, dated early 1990s, 1993.
- Death certificate of Maud Barwell, died 7 June 1953, registered 8 June 1953 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #53-09-006095.
- Death certificate of John Bonnycastle, died 28 August 1955, registered 28 August 1955 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #55-09-009139.
- Death certificate of Lyall Bonneycastle Evans, died 26 July 1961, registered 27 July 1961 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #61-09-008683.
- Parish Register of Christ Church Anglican, Campbellford, Ontario (Diocese of Toronto Archives, photocopied records), Thomas Bonnycastle baptism, 1878.
- Marriage certificate of Thomas Bonnycastle and Claudelina Waddington, married 26 April 1915 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #15-09-079045.
- Death certificate of Thomas Bonnycastle, died 25 April 1959, registered 27 April 1959 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #59-09-005584.
- Parish Register of Christ Church Anglican, Campbellford, Ontario (Diocese of Toronto Archives, photocopied records), George Bonnycastle baptism, 1881.
- Parish Register of Christ Church Anglican, Campbellford, Ontario (Diocese of Toronto Archives, photocopied records), Carl Channing Bonnycastle baptism, 1883.
- Marriage certificate of Carl Channing Bonnycastle and Mary Caroline Menzies, married 22 July 1909 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #09-09-122398.
- Marriage certificate of Leonard Karl Hawkins and Eleanor Mary Bonnycastle, married 26 July 1913 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #13-09-031852.
- Parish Register of St John's Anglican Church, Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Mary Eleanor Bonnycastle baptism, 1890 [record copied by the archivist].