#3901, (1902 - 1978)
|Father||Roland Clint Barwell2,1 (1870 - 1961)|
|Mother||Maud Bonnycastle1,2 (1873 - 1953)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandson of John Bonnycastle|
|Jessie Eleacebia Cantelon (1892 - 1980)|
|Occupation||Geoffrey Roland Barwell was a logger.2|
|Birth||He was born on 26 Mar 1902 in Katepwa, Saskatchewan.2,1|
|(with Parents) 1921 Census||Geofrey appeared on the 1921 Census of Sardis, Chilliwack, British Columbia with his parents. He was 19 years old, born in Saskatchewan, and worked on his father's farm. Boarding in the household was his future wife, Jessie Cantelon, a grocery clerk.3|
|Marriage||He married Jessie Eleacebia Cantelon on 18 Jul 1924 in Christ Church, Vancouver, British Columbia.|
Information from certificate: Geoffrey Roland Barwell, Contractor, bachelor, age 22, Church of England, residence Chilliwack, born in Indian Head, Sask, father Roland Clint Barwell born England, mother Maud Bonnycastle born Campbellford Ont;
Jessie Ellacebia Cantelon, Clerk, spinster, age 26, Methodist, residence Sardis, born Boissevain Manitoba, father Peter Joseph Cantelon born Bluevale Ont, mother Elizabeth Ann Y--grove born Gorrie Ont;
Witnesses were Kenneth Bertram Barwell and Lana Elizabeth Chadwick, both of Vancouver; married by Church of England minister William W Craig.4
|Note.||In the 1940s, Fred and Geoff Barwell began logging operations around Texas Lake. It was also in 1944-1946 that the Barwell Brothers logged in the Silverhope area. In 1946, they obtained that logging rights for the area between American Creek and Emory Creek which they logged from 1947 to 1963. In 1952, the Barwell Brothers incorporated the Silvale Logging Company and logged the Silverhope area until 1954. In 1964, Fred Barwell sold his interest in his logging company to Ian Stewart of Hope. His brother, Geoff, sold out in 1969. During the 1970s and 1980s, G and F Logging, now under Ian Stewart, logged the Silverhope Drainage area.5|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Maud Barwell's 1953 obituary as son son Jeffrey R., Hope.6|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Kenneth Bertram Barwell's 1968 obituary as brother Geoffrey R of Hope.7|
|Death||Geoffrey died on 15 Jan 1978 in Fraser Canyon Hospital, Hope, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: usual residence 1080 Nelson Avenue, Hope; married - wife's name not known, occupation logging, born March 26 1902 in Katepwa Saskatchewan, age 75, father Roland Barwell born England, mother Maude Bonnycastle born Saskatchewan. The informant was his common law wife Natalie Joyce Jones. Cremation.2
|Last Edited||5 May 2014|
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Reg No 109 (Geoffrey Roland, 1902/3/26, Katepwa, s/o Maud Bonnycastle & Roland Clint Barwell).
- Death certificate of Geoffrey Roland Barwell, died 15 January 1978, registered 15 January 1978 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #78-09-010701.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, SD 14, Page 19.
- Marriage Register of British Columbia, Barwell/Cantelon, #24-09-270724.
- Online, Hope Museum website at http://www.destinationhopeandbeyond.com/forestryhistory.htm
- Obituary of Maud Barwell in Chilliwack Progress, 10 June 1953, page 5 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Obituary of Kenneth Bertram Barwell in Vancouver Sun, 24 Feb 1968.
- E-mails from Bryan Campbell-Hope to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- E-mails from Michael Barwell to J Kolthammer.