#43, (1873 - 1953)
|Father||Charles Green Bonnycastle1 (1844 - 1926)|
|Mother||Sarah Oliver1 (1851 - 1931)|
|Relationship||2nd great-granddaughter of John Bonnycastle|
|Roland Clint Barwell (1870 - 1961)|
|Birth||Maud Bonnycastle was born on 28 Jun 1873 in Campbellford, Northumberland County, Ontario.1,2|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||Maud Bonnycastle appeared on the 1881 Census of Seymour Township, Northumberland County, Ontario with her parents. She was 7 and born in Ontario.3|
|(with Parents) 1891 Census||She appeared on the 1891 Census of Qu'Appelle, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories with her parents. She was 18, born in Ontario, father born in Ontario, mother in England, and religion Church of England.4|
|(Subject) Photograph||Here is a photo taken outside the brick Bonnycastle home in Katepwa, NWT (now known as Saskatchewan). It includes Sarah, her daughters Maud, Lyall, and the youngest, Mary.5|
|Marriage||She married Roland Clint Barwell, son of Frederick Barwell and Fanny Budd.1,6|
|Newspaper|| Published 6 Dec 1899. |
On Friday night, Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Barwell left here for England where they will spend the next year.7
|Passenger List||Roland and Maud Barwell were listed on a manifest dated 16 Dec 1899 for the Parisian, arriving in Liverpool from Halifax. They, and 8 month old Kenneth, were in the Second Cabin. Roland was a merchant.8|
|1901 Census||Roland and Maud Barwell appeared on the 1901 Census of Katepwa, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories, at Township 20 Range 12 NW12, enumerated 9 Apr 1901. Roland was born 11 Oct 1870 in England, age 30, immigrated in 1889, religion Church of England, and was a farmer. Maud was age 27, born 28 June 1873 in Ontario, and also Church of England. They owned 480 acres, a 7 room composite house, one vacant house, 6 outbuildings and leased 160 acres. Their son Kenneth Bertram was listed as living with them, as well as a domestic servant and a hired-man. They were enumerated next to Maud's parents.2|
|Residence-Moved||Circa 1905, the family moved to Chilliwack, British Columbia.1|
|Item||In Jul 1909, Maud Barwell sent dinner knives and forks as a wedding present to her brother Carl.10|
|1911 Census||R.C. and Maud Barwell appeared on the 1911 Census of Chilliwack, British Columbia, enumerated 12 Jun 1911. Roland was age 40, born in Oct 1880 in England, immigrated in 1889, occupation unclear, working on own account, and religion was Church of England. Maud was 37?, and born June 1873 in Ontario. Their children Kenneth Bertram, Geoffrey Roland and Frederick George were living with them, as well as two lodgers.11|
|1921 Census||Rowland Clint and Maude appeared on the 1921 Census of Sardis, Chilliwack, British Columbia. They owned their wood house and their religion was Church of England. Rowland was 50, born in England, immigrated in 1890, parents born in England, occupation Farmer & real estate on own account. Maude was 47, born in Ontario, father Ontario, mother England. Their children were Kenneth (24, born Saskatchewan, student), Geofrey (19, Sask, worked father's farm), and Fredrick (13, BC, pupil). Also with them were two boarders (Jessie Cantlelon, 27, grocery clerk [and Geoffrey's future wife]) and Mark Topham (45, farm hand).12|
|(Informant) Death||Maud registered the 1926 death of her father Charles Green Bonnycastle. She was recorded as daughter Maud Barwell of Chilliwack, B.C.13|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in her father Charles Green Bonnycastle's 1926 obituary as Mrs.R.C. Barwell of Chilliwack.14|
|Photograph||Here is Maud with her granddaughter Pat.5|
|(Heir) Will||Maud Barwell was named an heir in the will of her mother Sarah Bonnycastle dated 1 Jun 1928 in Chilliwack. Each of Sarah's children was to receive $100 annually from the sale of the farm until fully paid, and an equal share of the residue of the estate.15|
|Death||Maud died on 7 Jun 1953 in Chilliwack Hospital, Chilliwack, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: in Chilliwack & BC 48 years; usual address 110 Stanley Street South, Chilliwack; Scotch origin, married to Roland Clint Barwell, born June 28 1873 in Campbellford Ontario, age 79 years 11 months 10 days, housewife; father Charles Green Bonnycastle, born Ontario, mother Sarah Oliver, born England.
Informant was son Fred G. Barwell of 110 Stanley Street South. Burial in Anglican Cemetery, Chilliwack.1
|Obituary||Her obituary was published on 8 Jun 1953 in the Vancouver Sun. |
passed away in the Chilliwack Hospital on June 7th, in her 80th year, late of 110 Stanley St South; leaves husband Roland C, Vancouver; 3 sons Kenneth B, Van; Geoffrey R, Hope; Frederick G, Chilliwack; 6 grandchildren, 3 greatgrandchildren; 2 sisters - Mrs Lyle Evans, Vancouver; Mrs Mary Hawkins, Edmonton; 3 brothers - Jack, George & Tom Bonnycastle, Vancouver; interment Anglican Cemetery.16
|Obituary||Her obituary was published on 10 Jun 1953 in the The Chilliwack Progress. |
Mrs. Maud Barwell
Funeral services were held at 1:30 p.m. today for Mrs. Maud Barwell, late of 110 Stanley street south, age 79. She died at Chilliwack hospital June 7.
Born in Campbellford, Ont., Mrs. Barwell came to the Chilliwack district 48 years ago. She is survived by her husband, Roland C. Barwell, Vancouver; three sons, Kenneth B., Vancouver; Jeffrey R. Hope; Fred G., Chilliwack; six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Lyle Evans, Vancouver, and Mrs. Mary Hawkins, Edmonton; three brothers, Jack, Tom and George Bonnycastle, Vancouver.
Rev. W.J.T. Clarke officiated at the service in Henderson's's chapel with interment in the Anglican cemetery.17
|Burial||She was buried on 10 Jun 1953 in Anglican Cemetery, Chilliwack, British Columbia.1|
|Last Edited||5 May 2014|
- Death certificate of Maud Barwell, died 7 June 1953, registered 8 June 1953 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #53-09-006095.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Assiniboia E (203), Katepwa (d-2), page 3, line 19.
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Northumberland East (123), Seymour Township (G-1), page 1.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), The Territories, Assiniboia East (198), Qu'Appelle (b-11), page 4 [poor image].
- E-mails from Bryan Campbell-Hope to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- Death certificate of Roland Clint Barwell, died 27 March 1961, registered 28 March 1961 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #61-09-004334.
- The Qu'Appelle Vidette, 6 Dec 1899, page 8. digital image viewed on PaperofRecord.com.
- UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 (images viewed at ancestry.com). Original data: The National Archives of the UK (TNA). Series BT26.
- E-mails from Carell Goldney to J Kolthammer, beginning November 2008.
- 'Bonnycastle - Menzies', Chilliwack Progress, 28 July 1909 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), British Columbia, New Westminster (11), Chilliwack Riding (32), page 12.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, SD 14, Page 19.
- Death certificate of Charles Green Bonnycastle, died 12 October 1926, registered 14 October 1926 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #26-09-371001.
- Obituary of C G Bonnycastle in Chilliwack Progress, 14 Oct 1926 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Will of Sarah Oliver Bonnycastle of Chilliwack, 1 June 1928, proved in the Chilliwack Supreme Court, 1931 (British Columbia Archives, File #B8/1931).
- Obituary of Maud Barwell in Vancouver Sun, 8 June 1953.
- Obituary of Maud Barwell in Chilliwack Progress, 10 June 1953, page 5 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Death certificate of Kenneth Bertram Barwell, died 22 February 1968, registered 23 February 1968 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #68-09-003166.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Reg No 13622 (Kenneth Bertram, 1897/6/2, Katepwa, s/o Maud Bonnycastle & Roland Clint Barwell).
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Reg No 109 (Geoffrey Roland, 1902/3/26, Katepwa, s/o Maud Bonnycastle & Roland Clint Barwell).
- Death certificate of Geoffrey Roland Barwell, died 15 January 1978, registered 15 January 1978 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #78-09-010701.
- Death certificate of Unnamed Barwell, died 1 April 1914, registered 2 April 1914 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #27031.