#86, (1897 - 1968)
|Father||Roland Clint Barwell2,3,4,1 (1870 - 1961)|
|Mother||Maud Bonnycastle2,1 (1873 - 1953)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandson of John Bonnycastle|
|Myrtle Flora Hill (1902 - )|
|Occupation||Kenneth Bertram Barwell was a contractor and later spent 20 years as an assistant timekeeper for G&F Logging Co. Ltd, his brothers' company.2|
|Birth||He was born on 2 Jun 1897 in Indian Head (Katepwa), Saskatchewan.2,1|
|(Listed) Passenger List||Kenneth was found on a ship's manifest with his parents on 16 Dec 1899 travelling from Halifax to Liverpool.5|
|(with Parents) 1901 Census||Kenneth B Barwell appeared on the 1901 Census of Katepwa, Assiniboia, Northwest Territories with his parents. He was 3 years old, born 2 June 1897 in Assiniboia.6|
|(with Parents) 1911 Census||Keneth [sic] Barwell appeared on the 1911 Census of Chilliwack, British Columbia with his parents. He was 13, born in Jun 1897 in Saskatchewan, and attended school for 9 months that year.7|
|CEF||Kenneth Barwell volunteered for the Canadian Expeditionary Force on 29 Oct 1917 at New Westminster, British Columbia. The attestation papers included the following information: address Vedder Crossing Post Office, B.C., born June 2 1898 in Indian Head, Saskatchewan, single, religion Church of England, Farmer, father Roland Clinte Barwell of RR1 Sardis, B.C., no previous military service. The "Description on calling up" was completed at Vancouver May 9th, 1918: age 21, height 6'1/2", expanded chest 35", medium complexion, brown eyes, fair hair, scar on right hand, burn scar on left biceps, mole back of right arm, and a wart left side of back.8|
|(with Parents) 1921 Census||Kenneth appeared on the 1921 Census of Sardis, Chilliwack, British Columbia with his parents. He was 24 years old, born in Saskatchewan, and a student.9|
|(Witness) Marriage||Kenneth Bertram Barwell witnessed the marriage of his brother Geoffrey Roland Barwell and Jessie Eleacebia Cantelon on 18 Jul 1924 in Christ Church, Vancouver, British Columbia. He signed his full name and his address was 1721 Granville Street, Vancouver.10|
|Marriage||Kenneth Bertram Barwell married Myrtle Flora Hill on 23 Jun 1926 in St Giles United Church, Vancouver, British Columbia.|
Information from marriage certificate: Kenneth Bertram Barwell, Contractor, bachelor, 29, Church of England, residence Chilliwack, born Indian Head Sask, father Roland C born London England, mother Maud Bonnycastle born Campbellford Ontario, can read & write;
Myrtle Flora Hill, milliner, single, 24, United Church, residence 502 11th E, Vancouver, father John Hill born Frederiction Prince Edward Island, mother Hannah Norman born Simcoe Ontario, can read & write;
They were maried by licence and the witnesses were Florence Patterson of 68 Burnside Rd Victoria BC, and [Kenneth's brother] F.G. Barwell of Chilliwack BC.11
|Residence-Moved||Circa 1931, Kenneth Bertram Barwell moved to Vancouver, British Columbia.2|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Maud Barwell's 1953 obituary as son son Kenneth B, Vancouver.12|
|Death||Kenneth died on 22 Feb 1968 in St. Vincent's Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: in Vancouver and BC 37 years, usual address 348 East 19th Avenue Vancouver, married to Myrtle Hill, born June 2 1897 in Indian Head Saskatchewan, age 70, Assistant Timekeeper for G&F Logging Co Ltd for 20 years until November 1967, father Roland Clinton Barwell born England, mother Maud Bonnycastle born Ontario. The informant was son Ralph K Barwell of 3905 Albert Street, North Burnaby. Burial in Ocean View Burial Park.2
|Obituary||His obituary was published on 24 Feb 1968. |
on Feb 22, 1968, of 348 E 19th Ave, aged 70; survived by his loving wife Myrtle; 2 sons Ralph K, North Burnaby; Gerald W, Vancouver; 2 brothers Geoffrey R, Hope; Frederick G, Chilliwack; service at Mt Pleasant Chapel on Tues Feb 27 at 2; interment Ocean View.13
|Burial||He was buried on 27 Feb 1968 in Ocean View Burial Park, South Burnaby, British Columbia.2|
|Last Edited||5 May 2014|
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Reg No 13622 (Kenneth Bertram, 1897/6/2, Katepwa, s/o Maud Bonnycastle & Roland Clint Barwell).
- Death certificate of Kenneth Bertram Barwell, died 22 February 1968, registered 23 February 1968 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #68-09-003166.
- Obituary of Roland C Barwell in Vancouver Sun, 29 Mar 1961.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Attestation Papers & Enlistment Forms. Library and Archives Canada, (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020110_e.html), online images.
- UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 (images viewed at ancestry.com). Original data: The National Archives of the UK (TNA). Series BT26.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Assiniboia E (203), Katepwa (d-2), page 3, line 19.
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), British Columbia, New Westminster (11), Chilliwack Riding (32), page 12.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Attestation Papers & Enlistment Forms. Library and Archives Canada, (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020110_e.html), online images, Kenneth Barwell, Regimental Number 2023142.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, viewed at Ancestry.com. British Columbia, Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, SD 14, Page 19.
- Marriage Register of British Columbia, Barwell/Cantelon, #24-09-270724.
- Marriage certificate of Kenneth Bertram Barwell and Myrtle Flora Hill, married 23 June 1926 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #1926-09-301826.
- Obituary of Maud Barwell in Chilliwack Progress, 10 June 1953, page 5 (Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, microfilm).
- Obituary of Kenneth Bertram Barwell in Vancouver Sun, 24 Feb 1968.