#300, (1804 - a 1881)
|Father||Magnus Fidlar1,3 (1759 - a 1821)|
|Mother||Janet Irvine1 (1766 - bt 1809 - 1821)|
|Charts||Descendants of Magnus Fidlar & Janet Irvine|
Children of John Fidlar and Elizabeth Harvey
|Birth||John Fidlar was born on 4 Apr 1804 in Stromness, Orkney.4|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 4 Apr 1804 in Stromness.1|
|(with Father) 1821 Census||He appeared on the 1821 Census of Stromness with his father, Magnus. He was 16 years old.5|
|Migration||John Fidlar and Elizabeth Harvey migrated from Scotland to England before their marriage in 1839. It is not known whether they or their families moved separately or together.|
|Marriage||John Fidlar married Elizabeth Harvey, daughter of James Harvey and Sarah (Sally) Hay, on 12 Aug 1839 in Parish Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland.|
Information from the marriage certificate: John Fidler, of full age, Bachelor, Mariner, residence this parish [Tynemouth], son of Magnus Fidler Boat Builder;
Elizabeth Harvey, full age, of this parish, daughter of James Harvey master Mariner;
They were married in the parish church by Banns and the witnesses were Sarah Harvey [either Elizabeth's mother or sister] and Thomas Oxley [a frequent witness].3,6
|Research Note||John and Elizabeth largely followed the traditional Scottish pattern when naming their children. Their first four children were named after the grandparents: Janet Irvine, James Harvey, Sarah Hay, and Magnus. The fifth child was named Elizabeth for the mother.|
|1841 Census||John and Elizabeth Fidlar appeared on the 1841 Census of Tynemouth, Northumberland, at Church Road. They lived in a multi-family dwelling. John was 35 and a mariner. Elizabeth was 25. They were both born in Scotland and they had one child, Janetirven [sic] who was 8 months old and born in England. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.7|
|Migration||Sometime between the English census taken in June 1841 and son James Harvey's birth in Ontario in June 1842, John and Elizabeth emigrated to Canada.|
|1851/2 Census||Unfortunately, the 1851/52 census for Marmora Township, Ontario did not survive.|
|1861 Census||John and Elizabeth appeared on the 1861 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. The family lived in a one story log house. John was a yeoman, aged 56. Elizabeth was 49. They were both born in Scotland and their religion was Church of Scotland. Their children were Jannet (20), Jas H (19), Sarah H (17), Magnus (15), and Elizabeth (13). Janet was born in England, the rest in Canada. James, Magnus and Elizabeth attended school. Listed as non-family members were [John's brother] James Fidler (60, Scotland, labourer) and John Derry (8, labourer, born Canada, Church of England).8|
|1861 Census|| The 1861 Agricultural census recorded output for 1860. John Fidler [sic] farmed 200 acres at Lot 15 Concession 5, with 71 acres under cultivation apportioned with 60 acres under crops, 10 1/2 under pasture, and 1/2 an acre under orchard or garden. 129 acres were under wood or wild. The farm was worth $800 and the machinery $50.|
Produce in 1860 included:
3 acres (30 bushels) fall wheat
12 acres (200 bushels) spring wheat
1 acre (37 bushels) barley
10 acres (100 bushels) peas
16 acres (351 bushels) oats
2 acres (150 bushels) potatoes
1 acre (150 bushels) turnips
15 tons of hay.9
|Directory||John Fidlar was listed in the 1864 Marmora, Hastings County, Ontario, directory as |
Fidlar, J., yeoman, 5th concession, lot 15.11
|Land Record||On 14 Nov 1866, the original purchaser James Fidlar transferred his right to Lot 15 Concession 5 in Marmora Township to John Fidlar by assignment. It was endorsed by the affidavit of Francis B Parker in Lot 15 Conc 5, Marmora, Ontario.12|
|1871 Census||John and Elizabeth Fidler appeared on the 1871 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. John was 66, born in Orkney, married, and a farmer. Elizabeth was 56, born in Orkney, and married. Their children were James (27, farmer), Magness (24, farmer), and Elizabeth (22). Also with them was [John's brother] James (74, born in Scotland, mechanic). The family's religion was Free Presbyterian.13|
|1881 Census||John and Elizabeth appeared on the 1881 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. John was 77, born in Scotland, and a farmer. Elizabeth was 68 and born in Scotland. Their children at home were James H (37) and Magnus (34). The family was Presbyterian.14|
|Death||John died after 1881, probably in Hastings County, Ontario, Canada.|
|Last Edited||3 Jan 2015|
- Microfilm of the Old Parochial Register of Stromness, Orkney, 1695-1854 (Family History Library, 990514 & 990515).
- Province of Ontario Marriage Registers: #011911, 1887 - son James, Family History Library.
- Copy marriage certificate of John Fidlar and Elizabeth Harvey, married 12 August 1839 in the Registration District of Tynemouth.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Janet Irvine Inkster, #007800-10.
- 1821 Census for Orkney, Scotland "ed1, house 291."
- Tynemouth Bishop's Transcripts (digital images online at Familysearch Record Search); record has less detail than civil registration.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/826/2 folio 10. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1861 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Canada West, Hastings County, Marmora & Lake Township (1), page 14.
- Online image of the 1861 Agricultural Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com).
- E-mails from Jane Severino to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- 1864-65 Directory of the County of Hastings (Belleville: Mackenzie Bowell, 1865). Digitized copy viewed online at Randy Saylor's site "Transcribed Records of the Bay of Quinte", page 296.
- Upper Canada land Petitions "J" Bundle 16, 1829-1831, RG1, L3, Vol. 259. RG1, C-1-5, vol 4, #19332.
- 1871 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, Hastings North (62), Marmora & Lake (d-1), page 18.
- 1881 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, North Hastings (122), Township of Marmora & Lake (f-1), page 15.
- Copy birth certificate of Janet Irvine Fidlar, born 13 September 1840, registered 29 September 1840 in the Registration District of Tynemouth.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Inkster/Fidler, 1870, page 240.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Fidler/Inkster, #011911-87 [image blurry].
- Elizabeth Hancocks and W.E. Britnell, compiler, County marriage registers of Ontario, Canada, 1858-1869. v.5 Hastings County (Agincourt, Ontario: Generation Press, 1979).
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Sarah H.F. Parker, #017340-34.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. James Wilkinson & Elizabeth Fidlar, #003823-76.