#301, (1811 - 1882)
|Father||James Harvey2,1 (s 1785 - bt 1841 - 1851)|
|Mother||Sarah (Sally) Hay2 (c 1790 - bt 1851 - 1861)|
|Charts||Descendants of Magnus Fidlar & Janet Irvine|
Children of Elizabeth Harvey and John Fidlar
|Birth||Elizabeth Harvey was born on 1 Sep 1811 in Stromness, Orkney.2,4|
|Baptism||She was baptized on 7 Sep 1811 in Stromness. Her name was recorded as 'Betty' in the parish register.2|
|Migration||John Fidlar and Elizabeth Harvey migrated from Scotland to England before their marriage in 1839. It is not known whether they or their families moved separately or together.|
|Marriage||She married John Fidlar, son of Magnus Fidlar and Janet Irvine, on 12 Aug 1839 in Parish Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland.|
Information from the marriage certificate: John Fidler, of full age, Bachelor, Mariner, residence this parish [Tynemouth], son of Magnus Fidler Boat Builder;
Elizabeth Harvey, full age, of this parish, daughter of James Harvey master Mariner;
They were married in the parish church by Banns and the witnesses were Sarah Harvey [either Elizabeth's mother or sister] and Thomas Oxley [a frequent witness].1,5
|Research Note||John and Elizabeth largely followed the traditional Scottish pattern when naming their children. Their first four children were named after the grandparents: Janet Irvine, James Harvey, Sarah Hay, and Magnus. The fifth child was named Elizabeth for the mother.|
|1841 Census||John and Elizabeth Fidlar appeared on the 1841 Census of Tynemouth, Northumberland, at Church Road. They lived in a multi-family dwelling. John was 35 and a mariner. Elizabeth was 25. They were both born in Scotland and they had one child, Janetirven [sic] who was 8 months old and born in England. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.6|
|1861 Census||John and Elizabeth appeared on the 1861 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. The family lived in a one story log house. John was a yeoman, aged 56. Elizabeth was 49. They were both born in Scotland and their religion was Church of Scotland. Their children were Jannet (20), Jas H (19), Sarah H (17), Magnus (15), and Elizabeth (13). Janet was born in England, the rest in Canada. James, Magnus and Elizabeth attended school. Listed as non-family members were [John's brother] James Fidler (60, Scotland, labourer) and John Derry (8, labourer, born Canada, Church of England).7|
|1871 Census||John and Elizabeth Fidler appeared on the 1871 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. John was 66, born in Orkney, married, and a farmer. Elizabeth was 56, born in Orkney, and married. Their children were James (27, farmer), Magness (24, farmer), and Elizabeth (22). Also with them was [John's brother] James (74, born in Scotland, mechanic). The family's religion was Free Presbyterian.9|
|1881 Census||John and Elizabeth appeared on the 1881 Census of Marmora Township, Hastings County, Ontario. John was 77, born in Scotland, and a farmer. Elizabeth was 68 and born in Scotland. Their children at home were James H (37) and Magnus (34). The family was Presbyterian.10|
|Death||Elizabeth died on 1 Aug 1882 in Marmora & Lake Township, Hastings County, Ontario.|
Information from the register: Elizabeth Fidar [sic], age 72, Farmers Wife, born Stromness Scotland, died of old age one week, physician Dr Parker, informant [her son] James Fidlar Farmer Marmora, registered 5 August 1882, Presbytrian.4
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2014|
- Copy marriage certificate of John Fidlar and Elizabeth Harvey, married 12 August 1839 in the Registration District of Tynemouth.
- Microfilm of the Old Parochial Register of Stromness, Orkney, 1695-1854 (Family History Library, 990514 & 990515).
- Province of Ontario Marriage Registers: #011911, 1887 - son James, Family History Library.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Elizabeth Fidar, #006666-82.
- Tynemouth Bishop's Transcripts (digital images online at Familysearch Record Search); record has less detail than civil registration.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/826/2 folio 10. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1861 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Canada West, Hastings County, Marmora & Lake Township (1), page 14.
- E-mails from Jane Severino to Jennifer Kolthammer.
- 1871 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, Hastings North (62), Marmora & Lake (d-1), page 18.
- 1881 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, North Hastings (122), Township of Marmora & Lake (f-1), page 15.
- Copy birth certificate of Janet Irvine Fidlar, born 13 September 1840, registered 29 September 1840 in the Registration District of Tynemouth.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Inkster/Fidler, 1870, page 240.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Fidler/Inkster, #011911-87 [image blurry].
- Elizabeth Hancocks and W.E. Britnell, compiler, County marriage registers of Ontario, Canada, 1858-1869. v.5 Hastings County (Agincourt, Ontario: Generation Press, 1979), dtr Sarah.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Sarah H.F. Parker, #017340-34.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. James Wilkinson & Elizabeth Fidlar, #003823-76.