#444, (c 1835 - 1910)
|Father||Hector McLean1,2 (bt 1788 - 1790 - bt 1871 - 1881)|
|Mother||Mary McGillvra1,2 (bt 1790 - 1794 - bt 1871 - 1881)|
|Relationship||Son of Hector McLean|
|Charts||Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray's children & grandchildren|
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Child of Hugh McLean and Agnes Bryson
|Birth||Hugh McLean was born circa 1835 in Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario.2,1|
|(with Parents) 1851/2 Census||Hugh appeared on the 1852 Census of Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario with his parents. He was a farmer, born in Canada, Kirk of Scotland, and age 17 next birthday.1|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||He appeared on the 1861 Census of Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario with his parents. Hugh was a labourer, born in Upper Canada, Church of Scotland, and age 26.3|
|Marriage||He married Agnes Bryson, daughter of James Bryson and Jane McCallum, on 20 Jun 1861 in Maple Presbyterian Church, Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario.|
Information from the register: Hugh McLean, age 25, born Vaughan, residence Vaughan, son of Hector McLean and Mary McGillvray;
Agnes Bryson, 23, born and residing in Vaughan, daughter of James Bryson & Jane McCallum;
Witnesses: Duncan McLean of Markham, Malcolm Wilkie of Maple.2
|(Widowed) Burial.||His wife Agnes died in 1865. They had a baby son who went to live with his Bryson grandparents.4,5|
|1881 Census||Hugh McLean appeared on the 1881 Census of Markham Township, York County, Ontario. He was a labourer with a German farming family, age 40, born in Ontario, Canadian Presbyterian, and of Scotch origin. His marital status was not recorded.6|
|1891 Census||Hugh McClean [sic] appeared on the 1891 Census of Markham Township, York County, Ontario. He was a farm labourer with a Mennonite farming family, age 48, widower, born in Ontario, parents born in Scotland, and Presbyterian. He could read and write.7|
|Death||Hugh died on 29 Nov 1910 in Maple, Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario.|
Information from registration: born 15 May 1834 Twp of Vaughan, age 76 yrs 6 mos 14 days, Farmer, widowed, father Hector McLean born Scotland, mother Mary McGillivray born Scotland, informant J B McLean, Maple, registered 1 Dec 1910.8
|Burial||He was buried in 1910 in St Andrews's Presbyterian Cemetery, Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario. A photograph of the gravestone can be viewed at the Findagrave website.4,5|
|Last Edited||25 Sep 2013|
- Online image of the 1851/52 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), York County (42), Vaughan (401), page 221.
- Microfilm of the Church Register of York County Maple Presbyterian Church register (also known as St. Andrews and St. Pauls), 1829-1912 (Family History Library, 0207904), McLean/Bryson marriage, 1861.
- 1861 Census for Ontario "York County, Vaughan Tp (474), page 101."
- Index to cemetery transcriptions, Ontario, all years, compiled by Ontario Genealogical Society, Ontario, 2003-2007. accessed online at http://ogs.andornot.com/CemeteryIndex.aspx
- Website Find A Grave (www.findagrave.com).
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, York East (135), Markham Township (8), Page 19.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, York East (139), Markham Township (a-2), Page 16.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Hugh McLean, #036784-10.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. McLean/McNeil, #021321-05.