Sarah Mary Fernee1
#309, (1861 - 1950)
|Father||Thomas Fernee1,2 (1826 - 1907)|
|Mother||Sarah Mary Godart1 (bt 1829 - 1830 - 1906)|
|Relationships||Great-granddaughter of Peter Godart|
Great-granddaughter of Samuel Fernee
|Charts||Samuel Fernee & Mary Harris - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
Peter Godart & Mary Dowson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart
Ancestors of Sarah Mary Fernee (my line)
Children of Sarah Mary Fernee and William James Smart
* * * * *
Sarah Mary Fernee was the second of five children of Thomas Fernee, a wood carver, and his wife Sarah Mary Godart. When she was 20, Sarah married William James Smart, a solicitor's clerk. They had seven children over the following fourteen years. May, William Thomas, and Dorothy emigrated to Canada. Herbert Henry, Ethel, Winifred, and Marjorie stayed in England. Sarah Mary lived to the age of 88 and most of her children were long-lived as well.
* * * * *
|Called||Sarah Mary Fernee went by the name of Polly.3,4|
|Birth||She was born on 3 Dec 1861 in 15 Union Street, St. Pancras, Middlesex.|
Information from certificate: Sarah Mary Fernee, father Thomas Fernee, Wood Carver Journeyman, mother Sarah Mary Fernee formerly Godart, registered by mother S.M. Fernee of 15 Union Street, Somers Town 13 Jan 1862.1
|Baptism||She was baptized on 6 Feb 1862 in St Pancras, Middlesex. She was the daughter of Thomas, a carver, & Sarah Mary Fernee of Union Street. She was baptised the same day as her sister Ellen, who was born in May 1860. The family were paupers [see the P in the margin] and on February 6th thirty-one poor children were baptised.5|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||Sarah M Fernee appeared on the 1871 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex with her parents. She was 8, a scholar, and born in Pancras.6|
|Occupation||Sarah M Fernee was with the Postal Service in Feb 1880. The Appointment Minute Book index noted that she was a Learner in the General Post Office. This index leads to other records at the British Postal Museum & Archive in London (which I have not consulted.)7|
|(with Father) 1881 Census||Sarah Mary appeared on the 1881 Census of St. Pancras, London, Middlesex in the household of her father Thomas Fernee. She was 19 and born in St Pancras.8|
|Marriage||Sarah Mary Fernee married William James Smart, son of William Smart and Eliza Cordell, on 12 Aug 1882 in Bedford Chapel, Middlesex.|
Information from certificate: William James Smart, 24, Bachelor, Solicitors Clerk, residence 63 Barclay Street, father William Smart, Commercial Clerk. Sarah Mary Fernee, 20, Spinster, residence 16 Werrington Street, daughter of Thomas Fernee, Carver. They were married in the Bedford Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Independents by Certificate by R.A. Bertram, Congregational Minister, co-signed by the Registrar; signed W J Smart & S M Fernee; witnesses were Thomas Fernee and William A? Lowden.2
|1891 Census||William J and Sarah M Smart appeared on the 1891 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at 42 Raleigh Rd, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. William was 32, employed as a Solicitor's Clerk, and was born in Hoxton, London. Sarah was 29 and born in St Pancras. Their children were Mary (7), William T (6), Herbert H (5), Ethel (2), and Winifred (under 11 months). They also had a 13 year old nursemaid.9|
|1901 Census||William J and Sarah M Smart appeared on the 1901 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at 19 Pemberton Rd, enumerated 31 Mar 1901. William was 42, a Solicitor's Managing Clerk, and was born in Hoxton, London. Sarah was 39 and born in St Pancras. Their children were Mary (17), William T (16, mercantile clerk), Herbert H (15), Ethel (12), Winifred (10), Marjorie (6), and Dorothy (3.)10|
|1911 Census||William James and Sarah Mary Smart appeared on the 1911 Census of Harringay, London, at 19 Pemberton Road, enumerated 2 Apr 1911. William James was 52, a Solicitors Managing Clerk working in the Law business, and was born in Hoxton, Middlesex. Sarah Mary was 49 and born in St Pancras, Middlesex. They had been married 28 years and had had 7 children, all of whom were still living. Their house had 9 rooms and the census schedule was written and signed by William.11|
|(Executor & Heir) Will||Sarah Mary Smart was named the executrix and an heir in the will of her husband William James Smart dated 16 Aug 1921.12|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband William died on 24 May 1922.3,13|
|(Admon) Probate||Sarah Mary Smart, widow, was granted administration of William James Smart's estate on 22 Jul 1922.12|
|Death||Sarah Mary died on 19 Nov 1950 in London.3,4|
|Probate||Her estate was proved on 3 Apr 1951 in London. Entry from the probate calendar: |
SMART Sarah Mary of 11 St Georges-avenue Tufnell Park London N7 widow died 19 November 1950 at The Royal Northern Hospital Holloway-road London N7. Administration (with Will) London 3 April to Midland Bank Executor and Trustee Company Limited. Effects £3346 9s 4d.14
|Last Edited||23 Jul 2017|
- Copy birth certificate of Sarah Mary Fernee, born 3 December 1861, registered 13 January 1862 in the Registration District of Somers Town, St Pancras.
- Copy marriage certificate of William James Smart and Sarah Mary Fernee, married 12 August 1882 in the Registration District of Pancras.
- Letters from Ann Collett, England, to J Kolthammer, dated various dates, Nov 1989.
- Letters from Bernice Ellor, Winnipeg, Manitoba, to J Kolthammer, dated various, 1997.
- Baptisms of the parish of St Pancras, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Sarah Mary Fernee, 1862, #178.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/229 folio 15.
- Index to British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969, compiled by British Postal Museum & Archives, London. Images viewed at Ancestry.com and employment records are available at the Postal Archives, Sarah M Fernee, 1880, Minute number not recorded.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/ 203 folio 93.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/1059 folio 46.
- Image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census of England & Wales, http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/), RG 13 / 1237 folio 70 page 14.
- Image of the 1911 Census for England and Wales (1911 Census.co.uk, http://www.1911census.co.uk/), RG14 RD132 SD1 ED3 SN17.
- Will and Administration of William James Smart of Southgate, 16 August 1921, proved in the Principal Probate Registry, 22 July 1922 (Family History Library, Film #0,251,438).
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Herbert Henry Smart, 1937.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Sarah Mary Smart, 1951.
- Copy birth certificate of William Thomas Smart, born 8 September 1884, registered 16 October 1884 in the Registration District of Pancras.