James Harvey Inkster1
#292, (1873 - 1954)
|Father||William Inkster1,2 (1837 - 1917)|
|Mother||Janet Irvine Fidlar1,2 (1840 - 1910)|
|Relationship||Grandson of William Inkster|
|Charts||Descendants of John Inkster & Abigail Marion|
Descendants of Magnus Fidlar & Janet Irvine
William Inkster & Janet Irvine Fidlar descendants
Children of James Harvey Inkster and Isabella McLean
* * * * *
James Harvey Inkster went by the name of Harvey. He was born and grew up in Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario. At the age of 24, he married Bella McLean who was six years younger. Harvey worked as a drayman and miller. He and Bella had nine children who survived to adulthood and one or two who died young. The eldest son, Herb, served in WW1. In 1920, the family moved from Ontario to Raymore, Saskatchewan and Harvey became a farmer. Sadly, four months later Isabella died there. In later years, Harvey lived in Kingman, Alberta where son Bruce was, before moving on to the B.C. coast where other children lived, for his last few years. He lived to the age of 81.
* * * * *
|.|| If you are currently viewing the Inkster website, you can learn more about Isabella's parents and siblings, by visiting the McLean & McKinnon family history website|
If you are currently viewing the McLean & McKinnon website, you can learn more about Harvey Inkster's parents and siblings, by visiting the Inkster family history website
|Residence||James Harvey Inkster lived in Bruce Township, Ontario, then Raymore, Saskatchewan, then Kingman, Alberta, then New Westminster, BC.|
|Occupation||He was a drayman (1891), chipping mill operator (1898), mill owner (1911), farmer (1901, 1920-44).1,3,2,4,5|
|Birth||He was born on 14 Jun 1873 in Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario.1,2|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||James appeared on the 1881 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. He was 7 years old, born in Ontario, and attended school. James had two brothers, one older and one younger.6|
|(with Parents) 1891 Census||Harvey appeared on the 1891 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. They lived in a two story stone house with ten rooms. He was 17, born in Ontario, father born in Ontario, mother in England, religion Canada Presbyterian, and was a farmer. Harvey's siblings were William (19), Albert (10), and Mabel (8). Also there were his aunt and uncle Elizabeth and Duncan McKenzie and their three children.5|
|(Subject) Photograph||This is the house at Lot 1 Concession 6 Bruce Township where Harvey and family lived along with his parents.7,8|
|Marriage||He married Isabella McLean, daughter of John McLean and Flora McKinnon, on 6 Apr 1898 in Underwood, Bruce County, Ontario.|
Information from the marriage certificate: Harvey Inkster, 24, residence Bruce Township, born in Ontario, bachelor, Farmer, son of Wm Inkster & Janet Fidlar;
Bella McLean, 18, residence Underwood, born in Ontario, spinster, daughter of John McLean & Flora McKinnon;
They were married by Rev. J. Fitzpatrick, Presbyterian minister, and the witnesses were [Harvey's brother] Wm C. Inkster of Bruce Tp and Flora McLean of Underwood [this may be Bella's mother or her sister].9
|.||This is a handwritten invitation to Bella and Harvey's wedding. [The year was added much later]10|
|1901 Census||James H and Isabella Inkster appeared on the 1901 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario, at Lot 1, Concession 6. They were living in the same house as James' parents but were enumerated as a separate family. James was 28, born 14 June 1872 in rural Ontario, Presbyterian, of Scotch origin, and was a farmer working on his own account. Isabella was 21, born 25 August 1879 in Ontario, and of Scotch origin. Their children were John (2) and William (1). The Inksters owned and lived in a 10 room cement house on 200 acres with 3 outbuldings and a 4070 cu ft silo.4|
|Photograph||A formal photograph of Harvey and Bella's children.8|
|Occupation||James Harvey Inkster was a drayman in 1911.11|
|1911 Census||Harvey and Isabella Inkster appeared on the 1911 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Harvey was 39 years old, born in June 1871 [sic] in Ontario, of Scotch origin, Presbyterian, and was a mill owner working on his own account with employees. Isabella was 33 and born in August 1877 in Ontario. With them was Isabella's 78-year old widowed mother Flora McLean as well as seven children: John Herbert (12), Wallace W (10), James H (8), Florence Jean (6), Harvey Alex (4), Muriel B (3), and Gordon McL (1). The eldest four attended school for 10 months that year.12|
|Item||In 1912, James Harvey Inkster was one of the first telephone subscribers in Bruce Township.7|
|Occupation||He was a miller in Underwood in 1913.11|
|(Informant) Death||He registered the 1914 death of their infant daughter Mary Isabell Inkster.13|
|(Next-of-kin) CEF||James Harvey Inkster of Underwood was listed as next-of-kin on the Canadian Expeditionary Force attestation papers of his eldest son John Herbert Inkster on 16 Feb 1916.14|
|Occupation||James Harvey Inkster was a farmer between 1920 and 1944.1|
|Residence-Moved||In Apr 1920, James Harvey Inkster and his family moved to Raymore, Saskatchewan.15|
|(Widowed) Death||His wife Isabella died circa Aug 1920.15|
|1921 Census||James Harvey Inkster appeared on the 1921 Census of Mount Hope Municipality, Saskatchewan, at Section 1 Township 30 Range 19 W2. He owned the single family 2-room wood house. Harvey was 48, a widower, born in Ontario, parents born in Ontario. He was a farmer working his own farm. The family's religion was Presbyterian. Eight children were there: Herbert (22), Wallace (20), Florence (17), Harvey (15), Muriel (13), Gordon (11), Mabel (8), and Bruce (5). The three oldest sons also worked on the farm and son James (19) was a laborer on a nearby farm. Muriel, Gordon, & Mabel were students. All the children were born in Ontario.16|
|Voters' List||Harvey Inkster and his son Harvey appeared on the electoral roll in 1935 in Raymore. They were both listed as farmers. The electoral division in the district of Yorkton was called Lewiswyn and included Twp 29 Rge 19 W2, except sections 1 to 6; and Twp 29 Rge 18 west of the Poor Man Reserve, except sections 3 to 6.17|
|Voters' List||Harvey Inkster, Sr., gentleman, and his son Bruce, farmer, appeared on the electoral roll in 1940 in Raymore. They were enumerated in the electoral district of Yorkton, in the polling division comprising: All of Township 29, Range 18, W 2nd.17|
|Voters' List||Harvey Inkster Sr., gentleman, and Bruce Inkster, farmer, appeared on the electoral roll in 1945 in Raymore. They were enumerated in the electoral district of Yorkton, in the polling division comprising: All of Township 29, Range 18, W 2nd.17|
|Photograph||Appeared in a group photo taken in Stanley Park, Vancouver.8|
|Photograph||Harvey appeared in a group photo with his daughter Mabel, son Bill and Bill's family.8|
|Voters' List||Harvey Inkster, gentleman, appeared on the electoral roll in 1953 in Kingman, Alberta. He was with his son Bruce, a farmer, & Bruce's wife.17|
|Death||James died on 16 Sep 1954 in New Westminster, British Columbia.|
Information from death certificate: James Harvey Inkster, in New Westminster 5 weeks, BC 4 years, residence 1105 Sayward Street, Fraser Mills, B.C., Scottish origin, Canadian, widower, born Kingston Ontario on June 14th, 1873, age 81 years 3 months 2 days, last worked in 1944 after 24 years of farming, was married to Isabel MacLean, father William Inkster born Scotland, mother Janet Fidler born Scotland. The informant was son Jas H Inkster, of 8645 Dundas Street, Vancouver. Burial in Burquitlam Cemetery.1
|Burial||He was buried on 18 Sep 1954 in Burquitlam Cemetery, Coquitlam, British Columbia.1|
|Obituary||His obituary was published in Sep 1954 in the The Vancouver Sun. |
Passed away on Sept. 16, 1954 at the Melrose Park Private Hospital, James Harvey Inkster of 1105 Sayward St., New Westminster, formerly of Kingman Alta., aged 81 years. Survived by 5 sons, Herbert and James, Vancouver, William, New Westminster, Gordon, Regina, Sask., Bruce, Kingman, Alta; 3 daughters, Mrs. G.L. Campbell, Vancouver, Mrs. Rennie, Regina, Sask., Mrs. E. Johnstone, New Westminster; 1 brother, Albert, Port Elgin, Ont; 1 sister, Mrs. Mabel Daniel, Port Elgin, Ont; also 16 grandchildren. Funeral service, Sat. Sept. 18 at 3 pm. in the Woodlawn Funeral Home, New Westminster, Rev. T.B. McMillan officiating. Interment, Burquitlam Cemetery. Regina papers please copy.18
|Item.||Both Harvey and his son Jim played the fiddle.19|
|Research Note||His obituary says he had 16 grandchildren but only 14 have been identified so far. They are children of Herbert (Joan, Gordon), William (Edward, Gordon, Sherman, Arden), James (none), Florence (James), Harvey (unknown), Muriel (May, Orville), Gordon (John, Tommy), Mabel (Lloyd, Shirley, Barry), Bruce (none).|
|Last Edited||4 Mar 2015|
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia. James Harvey Inkster, #54-09-009399.
- Province of Ontario Marriage Registers: Inkster/McLean, #003237-98, Family History Library.
- The Bruce Township Historical Society, Bruce Township Tales and Trails from early days to 1983 (Ontario: The Bruce Township Historical Society, 1997), FHL fiche #6087691, p. 264, Inkster family.
- 1901 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Bruce W (50), Bruce (a-2), page 6, line 16.
- 1891 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, Bruce West (53), Bruce Township (a-2), page 4.
- 1881 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, North Bruce (177), Bruce Township (a-1), page 44.
- The Bruce Township Historical Society, Bruce Township Tales and Trails from early days to 1983 (Ontario: The Bruce Township Historical Society, 1997), FHL fiche #6087691.
- Copies of photographs in Marie Inkster's collection.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Inkster/McLean, #003237-98.
- Letter from Marie Isabel Inkster, Kincardine, Ontario, to J Kolthammer, dated March 1997.
- Letters from Betty McKinnon, Ontario, to J Kolthammer, various dates, "30 Jan 1997."
- 1911 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. 59 Bruce North, sd 4, ed 2, page 8.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Mary Isabell Inkster, #008531-14.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Attestation Papers & Enlistment Forms. Library and Archives Canada, (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020110_e.html), online images, John Herbert Inkster, Regimental Number 651807.
- Obituary of Mrs Harvey Inkster in unknown newspaper, August 1920 (Owen Sound Public Library, Inkster clipping file), clipping very faded.
- 1921 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Saskatchewan, Last Mountain District, SD 46, Page 16.
- Voters Lists, Federal Elections, 1935–1980. R1003-6-3-E (RG113-B). Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Images viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Obituary of James Harvey Inkster in The Vancouver Sun, September 1954. transcribed by a volunteer.
- Interview with Gord Inkster (British Columbia).
- Birth certificate of John Herbert Inkster, born 16 June 1898, registered 15 July 1898 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #006991-98, viewed on Family History Library film #1928123.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. William Wallace Inkster, #006905-99.
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia. William Wallace Inkster, #74-09-019207.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Robert James Harold Inkster, #008464-02.
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia. James Harold Inkster, #1958-09-011362.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Florence Jean Inkster, #008818-04.
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia. Florence Jean Campbell, #73-09-010859.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Harvey Alexander Inkster, #010255-07.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Beatrice Muriel Inkster, #011482-08.
- Birth Registrations of Ontario, Canada. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Gordon Inkster, #012067-10.
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia. Mabel Gertrude Johnstone, #80-09-012090.