#12901, (c 1822 - 1890)
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Archibald McGillivray and Ann McKinnon
|Birth||Archibald McGillivray was born circa 1822 in Mull, Scotland.1,2|
|Marriage||He married Ann McKinnon, daughter of Angus McKinnon and Mary McFadyen.1|
|1861 Census||Archd and Ann McGilvray appeared on the 1861 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was a farmer, age 36. Ann was 31. They were both born in Scotland, religion Church of Scotland, and they lived in a one story log house. Their children were John (5), Maryan (3), and Jenet (1) [ages are as of next birthday]. It was noted that the family had one birth in 1860 and that one adult could not read or write.3|
|1871 Census||Archibald and Ann McGillvray appeared on the 1871 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was 46, born in Scotland, Church of Scotland, and a farmer who was unable to read or write. Ann was 40 and born in Scotland. Their children were John (14), Mary Ann (12), Jennet (10), Catharine (8), Isabella (6), Alexander (4), and Angus (11 months). The five eldest attended school.4|
|1881 Census||Archibald and Ann Mcgillivray appeared on the 1881 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was 58 and a farm labourer. Ann was 50. They were both born in Scotland and were Presbyterian. Their children at home were Janet (20, dressmaker), Cathrine (18), Issabella (16), Alexander (14), and Angus (10). The youngest 3 attended school.1|
|Research Note||It appears that Archibald's death was registered twice. The first registration is likely the correct date.|
|Death||Archibald died on 10 Feb 1890 in Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario.|
Details from registration: Archibald McGillivray, male, age 68 years, farmer, Baptist, born in Mull, Scotland, cause of death said to be typhoid pneumonia, attended by Drs Rutherford and Paterson. The informant was Kate M McGillivray, milliner, of Port Elgin, and the death was registered on 13 March.5
|Death||Archibald died on 13 Mar 1890 in Bruce County, Ontario.|
Details from registration: Archibald McGillivray, age 68, Farmer, born Mull Scotland, died of Typhoid Pneumonia 10 days, religion Babtist [sic], registered in Saugeen on 13th March by Archibald McGillivray of Con 3 Saugeen.6
|Research Note|| In the 1881 census Archibald & Ann had children Janet 20, Catherine 18, Isabella 16, Alexander 19, and Angus 10.|
In the 1891 census Ann, widow, had John 30, Mary 28, Jesse 26, Kata 24, Alexander 22, Jennet 27, Isabel 18, Angus 20 (in that order)
Note: relationships are not recorded in 1881 but are in 1891
Throughout their lives, reported ages were very inconsistent in this family.
|Last Edited||17 Sep 2013|
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), Saugeen (c-2), Page 25.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Archibld McGillivray, #001805-90.
- Online image of the 1861 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Canada West, Bruce County, Saugeen Township, Page 2.
- Online image of the 1871 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (28), Saugeen Township (b-2), page 18.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Archibald McGillivray, #002046-90.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Archibald McGillivray, #001805-90.
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952. Abstracted information viewed at FamilySearch, Catherine Margaret Macgillivray, 1928.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Stuart/McGillivray, #008671-09.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. McGillivray/Sheridan, #004781-94.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Angus H MacGillivray, #036670-19.