#18901, (1827 - 1921)
|Father||Angus McKinnon1 (bt 1792 - 1796 - 1882)|
|Mother||Mary McFadyen1 (bt 1798 - 1805 - 1889)|
|Relationship||Daughter of Angus McKinnon|
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Ann McKinnon and Archibald McGillivray
|Birth||Ann McKinnon was born on 31 Oct 1827 in Mull, Scotland.1|
|Baptism||She was baptized on 18 Nov 1827 in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, Argyll. Their residence was Baikenohair [Balnahard].2|
|1841 Census||She appeared on the 1841 Census of Kilfinichen & Kilvicheon, Argyll. There were 3 Ann McKinnons working as servants, ages 13, 14, and 15, one of which is likely this Ann.3|
|(with parents) Immigration||She immigrated with her parents from Mull in Argyll, Scotland to Vaughan Township in York County, Ontario, Canada in 1849.4|
|(with Parents) 1851/2 Census||Nancy appeared on the 1852 Census of Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario with her parents. She was born in Scotland, free Presbyterian, and age 24 next birthday.5|
|Marriage||She married Archibald McGillivray.6|
|1861 Census||Archd and Ann McGilvray appeared on the 1861 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was a farmer, age 36. Ann was 31. They were both born in Scotland, religion Church of Scotland, and they lived in a one story log house. Their children were John (5), Maryan (3), and Jenet (1) [ages are as of next birthday]. It was noted that the family had one birth in 1860 and that one adult could not read or write.7|
|1871 Census||Archibald and Ann McGillvray appeared on the 1871 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was 46, born in Scotland, Church of Scotland, and a farmer who was unable to read or write. Ann was 40 and born in Scotland. Their children were John (14), Mary Ann (12), Jennet (10), Catharine (8), Isabella (6), Alexander (4), and Angus (11 months). The five eldest attended school.8|
|1881 Census||Archibald and Ann Mcgillivray appeared on the 1881 Census of Saugeen Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Archibald was 58 and a farm labourer. Ann was 50. They were both born in Scotland and were Presbyterian. Their children at home were Janet (20, dressmaker), Cathrine (18), Issabella (16), Alexander (14), and Angus (10). The youngest 3 attended school.6|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in Mary McKinnon's 1889 obituary as daughter Mrs. McGillivray of Port Elgin.4|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband Archibald died on 10 Feb 1890.9|
|1891 Census||Ann was the head of household on the 1891 Census of Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario. The McGillivrays lived in a two story wooden house with 8 rooms. Ann could read but not write and all the children could read and write. Ann was 59, a widow, born in Scotland, parents born in Scotland, and religion Presbyterian. Her children at home were John (30, clergyman), Mary (28), Jesse (26), Kata (24, dressmaker), Alexander (22, student minister), Jennet (27, dress maker), Isabel (18, dressmaker), and Angus (20, student).10|
|1901 Census||Ann McGillivray appeared on the 1901 Census of Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario. She was age 70, born 1 Nov 1830 in Scotland, immigrated in 1834, of Scotch origin, Presbyterian, retired and living on her own means, literate, and her mother tongue was Gaelic. She was alone in a 4 room composite house and owned the house, lot & an outbuilding.11|
|1911 Census||Ann McGillivray appeared on the 1911 Census of Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario, at Elgin Street. She was a widow, age 76, born October 1834 in Scotland, immigrated in 1846, Scotch, Canadian, Presbyterian, occupation listed as "Income". There was no one else in the household.12|
|Death||Ann died on 29 Jul 1921 in Elgin Street, Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario.|
Information from the registration: Ann MacGillivray, Scottish, widow, age 93 yrs 9 mos, born Mull Scotland 31 Oct 1827, Housewife, lived in Ontario & Canada 76 yrs, lived at place of death 32 yrs, father Angus McKinnon born Scotland, mother Mary McFadyen born Scotland, registered by son A J MacGillivray of Guelph, buried at Port Elgin 1 Aug 1921.1
|Research Note|| In the 1881 census Archibald & Ann had children Janet 20, Catherine 18, Isabella 16, Alexander 19, and Angus 10.|
In the 1891 census Ann, widow, had John 30, Mary 28, Jesse 26, Kata 24, Alexander 22, Jennet 27, Isabel 18, Angus 20 (in that order)
Note: relationships are not recorded in 1881 but are in 1891
Throughout their lives, reported ages were very inconsistent in this family.
|Last Edited||17 Sep 2013|
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Ann McGillivray, #009033-21.
- Microfilm of the Old Parochial Register of Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, Argyllshire, 1804-1854 (Family History Library, 1041079), 102388 is another filming.
- 1841 Census for Argyll, Scotland (Family History Library, microfilm), The primary occupations are farmer, crofter, ag lab, cotter, servant. Almost everyone is born in the county. Dozens of residents (male and female) are reported to be in service in the south. There is evidence of widespread destitution. "a great portion of this district has of late been laid out as sheep walks which was formerly thickly inhabited by small farmers -- the most of whom are now poor cotters wherever they could find houses and destitute of means to defray their expenses to the Colonies particularly to Canada where they would in general expect to meet Friends who would render them assistance.", Kilfinichen & Kilvicheon.
- Obituary of Mary McKinnon in Unknown newspaper, 1889 (J Kolthammer, photocopy (no source)).
- Online image of the 1851/52 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), York County (42), Vaughan (401), page 221.
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), Saugeen (c-2), Page 25.
- Online image of the 1861 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Canada West, Bruce County, Saugeen Township, Page 2.
- Online image of the 1871 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (28), Saugeen Township (b-2), page 18.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Archibald McGillivray, #002046-90.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (52), Port Elgin Village (i), page 27.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada, Bruce (50), Port Elgin g-1, page 6, line 22. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada, Ontario, Bruce North (59), Port Elgin (52), page 2. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- E-mails from Ida King to Jennifer Kolthammer, "transcription of Rev A.J. MacGillivary obituary."
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952. Abstracted information viewed at FamilySearch, Catherine Margaret Macgillivray, 1928.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Stuart/McGillivray, #008671-09.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. McGillivray/Sheridan, #004781-94.
- Death Registrations of Ontario, 1869-1938. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Angus H MacGillivray, #036670-19.