#479, (1875 - 1954)
|Father||John McLean1 (c 1821 - 1903)|
|Mother||Flora McKinnon1 (1832 - 1924)|
|Relationships||Granddaughter of Hector McLean|
Granddaughter of Angus McKinnon
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray's children & grandchildren
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Flora McLean and William Simpson
|Birth||Flora McLean was born on 10 May 1875 in Ontario.2|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||She appeared on the 1881 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with her parents. Flora was 6, born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, of Scotch origin, and was going to school.3|
|(with Parents) 1891 Census||Flora appeared on the 1891 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with her parents. She was 17, born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, father born in Ontario, and mother born in Scotland.4|
|(Witness) Marriage||Flora McLean witnessed the marriage of James Harvey Inkster and Isabella McLean on 6 Apr 1898 in Underwood, Bruce County, Ontario. She was recorded as Flora McLean of Underwood, so the witness could have been Bella's mother or sister.5|
|Marriage||Flora McLean married William Simpson, son of James Simpson and Jane Ray, on 25 Oct 1899 in Carman, Municipality of Dufferin, Manitoba.|
Information from marriage certificate: William: age 33, residence Carman, born Fergus Ont, widower, Hotel Keeper, Presbyterian, s/o James Simpson & Jane Ray; Flora: age 25, residence Winnipeg, born Bruce Ont, Spinster, Presbyterian, d/o John McLean & Flora McKinnon;
The witnesses were A.R. Badger & Tillie Abel both of Carman and they were married by H.C. Sutherland. Registered Oct 27, 1899.1
|1901 Census||William and Flora Simpson appeared on the 1901 Census of Carman, Manitoba. William was born 5 April 1865 in Ontario, age 35, Scotch origin, Presbyterian, and was a hotel keeper. Flora was 25 and born 10 May 1875 in Ontario. With them were William's children William Jr (11), Winnifred (9), and Alma (6). There were 19 lodgers (one of whom was a James D Simpson, 43) and 3 domestics.2|
|Newspaper|| Published 6 Apr 1906 in the Manitoba Morning Free Press. |
Wm Simpson, of the Roblin house, Winnipeg, met with a bad accident at the Starkey house on Tuesday night. After supper he went up to his room to get his coat, and the hall way being dark, in a mistake he opened a door leading downstairs to the dining room, instead of his bedroom door. He stepped on to the stairs, and losing his balance, fell forward down the steps, receiving a number of bad bruises as well as being badly shaken up -- Carman Standard.7
|1906 Census||They appeared on the 1906 Census of Winnipeg, Manitoba, at Roblin Hotel, enumerated 24 Jun 1906. Flora's name was scribbled over and looks like it says Mary. William was 40 and was born in Ontario. His wife was 31, born in Ontario. Children with them were William (16), Alame (12), Flora I (2), and Clarenc (born in June). They had two horses.|
Also with them were 20 servants, from Manitoba, Ontario, Galicia, Sweden, Ireland and England. Sixteen people were boarding at the hotel on census night.8
|1911 Census||William and Florence [sic] appeared on the 1911 Census of Winnipeg, Manitoba, at Grand Union Hotel. Note: the enumerator failed to record year of birth for many families. William was born in April in Scotland, immigrated in 1878 or 79, age 46, occupation Hotel Keeper, and had $5000 life insurance costing $75. There were two hotel keepers at this hotel. Florence was born in June in Scotland, age 32. Their children were May Elma (16), Floyd MacClane? (7), Wilbert Clare (5), Edwin Ray (3), and Florence Muriel (18 days? - unclear).9|
|1916 Census||William and Florence [sic] appeared on the 1916 Census of Winnipeg, Manitoba, enumerated 1 Jun 1916. William was 47, born in Ontario, occupation Hotrman [writing difficult to interpret]. Florence was 33, born in Ontario. Their children were Floyd (12), Clare (10), Ray (8), and Muriel (5). The family was Presbyterian.10|
|1921 Census||Florence [sic] appeared on the 1921 Census of Winnipeg, Manitoba, at 211 Aubrey. She rented her 6 room wood house for $40/month. Flora was a widow, age 39 [sic], born in Ontario, parents born in Scotland. Her children were Floyd (17, drummer), Clair (15), Ray (13), and Muriel (11). Floyd earned $1200 the previous year but no other income was recorded. The family was Presbyterian.11|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||She was mentioned in John Archibald McLean's 1947 obituary as sister Mrs. W. Simpson of Winnipeg.12|
|Death||Flora died on 17 Jul 1954.13|
|Obituary||Her obituary was published on 19 Jul 1954 in the Winnipeg Free Press. |
SIMPSON - On July 17, 1954, Mrs Florence Simpson, aged 68 years, late of 307? Devonshire Apts., widow of the late William Simpson. Graveside service and interment at 10:30 Wednesday, Brookside Cemetery. Arrangements by Clark Leatherdale Funeral Home, 232 Kennedy St.13
|Research Note||Although the age is about 10 years too low in the above obituary, she is buried in the same plot as her son Clare so I think this record is for the correct person.14|
|Last Edited||30 Aug 2014|
- Marriage certificate of William Simpson and Flora McLean, married 25 October 1899 in the Province of Manitoba, Certificate #28-09-336473.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada, Manitoba, Lisgar (#7), Carman Village (J-1), page 4. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), a-1, page 6.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce West (53), Bruce Township (a-2), page 45.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. Inkster/McLean, #003237-98.
- E-mails from Allison McLean to J Kolthammer, beginning July 2010.
- Manitoba Morning Free Press (Winnipeg, Canada), 6 April 1906, page 20. Image online at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1906 Census for Northwest Provinces (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Manitoba, Winnipeg District, Subdistrict 4C, Page 2.
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, Subdistrict Winnipeg 30, Page 16. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1916 Census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta (Ancestry.ca), Manitoba, Winnipeg South, ED 2, Page 36.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg South, SD 20, Page 16. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Obituary of John Archibald McLean in unidentified Bruce County newspaper, 5 June 1947. Transcription from Betty McKinnon, Kincardine.
- Winnipeg Free Press, Deaths classified ads, Mrs Florence Simpson, 19 July 1954, page 20. Image viewed at FindMyPast.
- Burial Database for Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, Manitoba, online http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/cemetery_brookside_alpha.stm, Florance Simpson, burial order # 44831, Section-Lot-Grave D2-2305-0.
- Province of Manitoba Indexes to Vital Records, Births >100y, Marriages >80y, Deaths >70y , <<http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php>>", Florence Muriel Simpson death, age 2, #1906-001670."