#480, (1877 - a 1947)
|Father||John McLean1 (c 1821 - 1903)|
|Mother||Flora McKinnon1 (1832 - 1924)|
|Relationships||Grandson of Hector McLean|
Grandson of Angus McKinnon
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray's children & grandchildren
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Alexander McLean and Margaret Forgie
|Called||Alexander McLean went by the name of Sandy or Alex.2|
|Birth||He was born in Jun 1877 in Ontario.3|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||He appeared on the 1881 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. Alexander was 4, born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, and of Scotch origin.1|
|(with Parents) 1891 Census||Alexander appeared on the 1891 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. He was 13, born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, father born in Ontario, and mother born in Scotland.4|
|Newspaper|| Published 9 Sep 1898 in the Moose Jaw Herald Times. |
In another column it is announced that J J McLean has taken into partnership Mr Alex McLean, late of Robinson & Hamilton's, and the business will be conducted under the firm name of "J J & A McLean." "Alex" has not been in Moose Jaw over a year, but during that time he has won a large circle of friends who wish success for him and "The Modle [sic] Grocery Store."5
|Newspaper|| Published 31 Mar 1899 in the Moose Jaw Herald Times. |
Alex. McLean, of "The Model Grocery Store," left last evening to spend Easter with friends at the Capital.6
|Marriage||He married Margaret Forgie.3|
|1901 Census||Alex and Margaret appeared on the 1901 Census of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Alex was born Jany 14, 1872 and was a general merchant, employer, working on his own account. Margaret was born May 20, 1877. They were both Scotch, Presbyterian, born in rural Ontario, and age 23. They lived in a 5 room house on one lot with a store or warehouse, and a barn or stable or other outbuilding.7|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Duncan McLean's 1902 obituary as brother A. McLean of Moose Jaw.8|
|1906 Census||Alex and Maggie McLean appeared on the 1906 Census of Moose Jaw, Assiniboia, at Stadacona Street, enumerated 24 Jun 1906. Alex was 29 and born in Ontario. Maggie was 30 and born in Ontario. Their children were Reggie (3) and Viola (1 1/2), both born in Saskatchewan.9|
|1911 Census||Alex and Margaret appeared on the 1911 Census of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, at 72 12th Avenue. Alex was 34, born June 1877 in Ontario, Scotch, Presbyterian, a grocer, and held $2000 in life insurance. Margaret was 35, born May 1876 in Ontario, Scotch and Presbyterian. Their children were Reg (8), Viola (6), and Florence (2).3|
|1916 Census||Alex and Marguerite appeared on the 1916 Census of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, at 323 Third Avenue East, enumerated 1 Jun 1916. Alex was 40, born in Ontario, of Scotch origin, and was a salesman in a store and an employer. Marguerite was 38 and born in Ontario. The family was Presbyterian. The children were Reginald (13), Viola (11), and Florence (7). They also had one lodger.10|
|1921 Census||Alexander and Margaret appeared on the 1921 Census of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, at 360 Ominica Street East. They rented their single family lime plastered house for $40. Alexander was 45, birthplace Ontario, parents born in Scotland. He was a salesman but the place of his work was unreadable, earning $1400 the previous year. Margaret was 45, born in Ontario, parents born in Ontario. The family was Presbyterian. With them were two children: Viola (16, stenographer) and Florence (12).11|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in John Archibald McLean's 1947 obituary as brother Alex in Moose Jaw.14|
|Research Note||There is a burial in Oct 1911 for 8 yr old Bruce McLean in the same gravesite as Alexander's son George - that would be the age of son Alexander Reginald who was definitely still living. But, Alexander's brother Hector had a son Bruce and we don't know where they were in 1911.15|
|Death||Alexander died after 1947.14|
|Last Edited||17 Sep 2013|
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), a-1, page 6.
- Letter from Len McLean, unknown author address, to Jean McLean widow of John Archibald, dated 1977.
- Online image of the 1911 Census for Canada, Saskatchewan, Moosejaw (211), Moosejaw (128), page 28. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce West (53), Bruce Township (a-2), page 45.
- Moose Jaw Herald Times, Local and General News. 9 September 1898, page 1. Digital copy online at Peel's Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
- Moose Jaw Herald Times, Local and General News. 31 March 1899, page 1. Digital copy online at Peel's Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada, Assiniboia West (204), Moose Jaw r(1), page 6. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Obituary of Duncan McLean in Morning Telegram (Winnipeg, Manitoba), 5 August 1902. image online at Manitobia Life and Times, at the Manitoba Archives site.
- Online image of the 1906 Census for Northwest Provinces (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Saskatchewan, Assiniboia West, Subdistrict 36B, Page 40.
- Online image of the 1916 Census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta (Ancestry.ca), Saskatchewan, Moose Jaw (23), Subdistrict 3, ED 17, Page 9.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, Saskatchewan, SD 43, Moose Jaw Ward 1, Page 17. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- E-mails from Allison McLean to J Kolthammer, beginning July 2010.
- E-mails from Donna Rodenburg to J Kolthammer.
- Obituary of John Archibald McLean in unidentified Bruce County newspaper, 5 June 1947. Transcription from Betty McKinnon, Kincardine.
- Moose Jaw Cemetery transcription,. <<http://www.geocities.com/wendygrayca/Pagem.htm>>
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), George Albert McLean, #1594.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Alexander Reginald McLean, #2224.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics Indexes to Births, more than 100 years ago (online, vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca), Gladys Viola McLean, #3359.