#438, (1851 - 1902)
|Father||John McLean3,2 (c 1821 - 1903)|
|Mother||Flora McKinnon3,2 (1832 - 1924)|
|Relationships||Grandson of Hector McLean|
Grandson of Angus McKinnon
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray's children & grandchildren
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Duncan McLean and Lavinia Schell
|Birth||Duncan McLean was born in 1851 in Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario.1|
|Baptism||He was baptized in Maple Presbyterian Church, Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario. The date was not recorded.3|
|(with Parents) 1851/2 Census||Duncan appeared on the 1852 Census of Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario with his parents. He was born in 1851 in Canada.1|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||He appeared on the 1861 Census of Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario with his parents. Duncan was born in Upper Canada, Church of Scotland, was 9 years old, and attended school.4|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||Duncan appeared on the 1871 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. He was 18, born in Ontario, Church of Scotland, and a farmer.5|
|Marriage||He married Lavinia Schell, daughter of Nathaniel Schell and Helen (-?-), on 8 Dec 1880 in Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario.|
Information from registration: Duncan McLean, 27, residence Bruce Tp, born Vaughan Ontario, bachelor, Farmer, s/o John & Flora McLean, Presbyterian; Lavinia Shell, 20, residence North Bruce, born Saugeen Tp, spinster, d/o Nathaniel & Helen Shell, United Brethren.
The witnesses were Duncan's brother and Lavinia's sister, Angus McLean and Sarah Shell both of Bruce Township.2
|1881 Census||Duncan and Lovina [sic] appeared on the 1881 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario. Duncan was 28, and a labourer. Lovina was 20 years old. They were both born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, of Scotch origin, and married. No one else was in the household.6|
|Immigration||Duncan McLean immigrated to the United States in 1890.7|
|(Widowed) Death||His wife Lavinia died in Oct 1894 while giving birth to their son Harry.8|
|Marriage||Duncan McLean married Catherine (-?-) circa 1897.7|
|1900 Census||Duncan and Catherine McLain [sic] appeared on the 1900 Federal Census of Bottineau County, North Dakota, at Township 164 Range 81, enumerated 6 Jun 1900. Duncan was 47, born in January 1853 in Canada, parents born in Scotland, immigrated to the US in 1890, naturalized, and was a farmer who owned his farm free. Catherine was 42, born October 1857 in Canada, father born in Scotland, mother in Canada, immigration date unknown. They had been married 17 years [sic] and it was recorded that Catherine was the mother of 3 children, all of whom were still living. Their children were Duncan (16), John N (14), Lottie (8), and Harry (5). The two oldest were born in Canada and attended school.7|
|Death||Duncan died on 4 Aug 1902 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.9|
|Obituary||His obituary was published on 5 Aug 1902 in the Morning Telegram.9|
|Last Edited||9 Sep 2013|
- Online image of the 1851/52 Census for Canada (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), York County (42), Vaughan (401), page 221.
- Marriage Registrations of Ontario, 1857-1928. Image viewed at Ancestry.com. McLean/Schell, #001304-80.
- Microfilm of the Church Register of York County Maple Presbyterian Church register (also known as St. Andrews and St. Pauls), 1829-1912 (Family History Library, 0207904).
- 1861 Census for Ontario "York County, Vaughan Tp (474), page 101."
- 1871 Census for Canada "Ontario, North Bruce (28), Bruce Tp (a-2), page 51."
- 1881 Census for Canada "Ontario, Bruce North (177), a-2, page 14."
- 1900 Federal Census for United States, North Dakota, Bottineau County, Township 164, Roll T623_1226, Page 3A. Digital image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- E-mails from Scott McLean to J Kolthammer, beginning June 2010.
- Obituary of Duncan McLean in Morning Telegram (Winnipeg, Manitoba), 5 August 1902. image online at Manitobia Life and Times, at the Manitoba Archives site.
- 1930 Federal Census for United States, North Dakota, Williams County, Hanks, ED 26, Page 1A. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Province of Manitoba Indexes to Vital Records, Births >100y, Marriages >80y, Deaths >70y , <<http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php>>", John Nathaniel McLean, #1886-1474251."