#2387, (1802 - 1888)
|Father||Richard Oliver1 (1766 - 1831)|
|Mother||Sarah Mogridge1 (1770 - 1851)|
|Relationship||Grandson of William Oliver|
|Charts||William Oliver (born ~1730) & Ann Wilson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart|
|Baptism||Richard Oliver was baptized on 27 Sep 1802 in Cheriton Fitzpaine, Devon.1|
|(Heir) Will||He was named an heir in the will of his father Richard Oliver dated 2 Oct 1831. Son Richard and daughter Sarah as tenants in common were bequeathed his dwelling house now in the occupation of Elizabeth Prior together with the part of the garden thereto now in the occupation of William Cruwys on the west side of the gutter, all part of Pynes.2|
|Marriage||Richard Oliver married Mary Jones on 12 Feb 1833 in Stoke Canon, Devon.|
The parish register noted that Richard was a bachelor and Mary a widow. They were both of Stoke Canon parish and were married by banns. The witnesses were William Pasmore and Ann Pasmore [Richard's sister and brother-in-law].3
|1841 Census||It's difficult to pinpoint Richard's whereabouts in the 1841 census, since it doesn't report exact ages, birthplaces or relationships. A strong possibility is in Stoke Canon - age 35, Inn keeper. Also in the household is Mary Oliver (age 55, not born in Devon). Relationships and marital status were not recorded in the 1841 census.4|
|(Heir) Will||Richard Oliver was named an heir in the will of his mother Sarah Oliver dated 17 Jan 1844. He was noted to be of the parish of Axmouth, Devon and was bequeathed £70. Richard was the eldest living son but his next brother, John, lived with their mother and inherited the property of Codcloses. The first son in the family, William, died in 1841 or he would have likely been the primary heir.5|
|(Witness) Baptism||Richard Oliver was named a godfather at the baptism of his brother Thomas' daughter Sarah on 26 Jan 1851 in Ashcombe, Devon. He was recorded as Uncle Richard.6|
|1851 Census||Richard Oliver appeared on the 1851 Census of Bishopsteignton, Devon, at Lodge. Richard was 45, married [sic], born in Cheriton Fitzpane, no occupation recorded, and was a visitor to a large household [He may have been visiting the resident or one of the servants].7|
|Immigration||He immigrated to Canada circa 1856. That was the year reported by other family members. Richard might have come before or after them, but it looks as though most of the Olivers came together.|
|1861 Census||He and Susannah Hodge appeared on the 1861 Census of Murray Township, Northumberland County, Ontario. Richard was an Inn Keeper, born in England, religion Church of England, age 59, and single. Also in the household were Susan Hodge (45, single, born England), Cora Hodge (10, born in Upper Canada, attended school), Jonathan Wessels (15, UC), and Henry Tuttle (16, UC, laborer). They were all recorded as family members and lived in a two story frame house. [Note: in the 1861 census, age is as of the next birthday].8|
|Marriage||Richard Oliver married Susannah Hodge on 20 Mar 1867 in Trenton, Hastings County, Ontario.|
Details from registration: Richard Oliver, age 65, residence Sidney, born Cheriton Fitzpaine Devon England, son of Richard & Sarah Oliver;
Susannah age 52, residence unclear, born Cobton Devon England, daughter of Edward & Rebecca Hodges;
Witnesses were John & Caroline Hodges of Belleville; married by W Bleasdell, minister of the United Church of England & Ireland.9
|1871 Census||Richard and Susan Oliver appeared on the 1871 Census of Brighton Township, Northumberland County, Ontario. Richard was 61 and a farmer. Susan was 55. They were both born in England and their religion was Church of England. With them were Cora E and John Dame.10|
|1881 Census||Richard and Susan Oliver appeared on the 1881 Census of Sidney, Hastings County, Ontario. Susan was 70 and Richard 79, both of English origin, and Episcopal Methodist. Richard was a Farmer, and the head of the household was Alured F Bartlette.11|
|Death||Richard died on 18 Jan 1888 in Sidney Township, Hastings County, Ontario.|
Information from register: Richard Oliver, age 85 years & 6 months, Pauper, born England, died of old age 15 days, no physician, informant Samuel Carr 1st Con Sidney Lot 8, registered 20 Jan 1888, Church of England.12,13
|Last Edited||10 Jun 2014|
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of Cheriton Fitzpaine, Devon, 1610-1835 (Family History Library, 0916835).
- Will and Administration of Richard Oliver of Cheriton Fitzpaine, 2 October 1831, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Exeter, 14 May1832 (Family History Library, film #1278965).
- Stoke Canon, Devon, Marriage Register, Image viewed at FindMyPast. Richard Oliver & Mary Jones, 1833.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/264 Book 4 Folio 7. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Will and Administration of Sarah Oliver of Cheriton Fitzpaine, 17 January 1844, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Exeter, 5 February 1852 (Family History Library, film #1278965).
- Notebook of Thomas Oliver, Devon and Ontario, held by a descendant, gives year as 1852.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1870 folio 355. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1861 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Canada West, Northumberland, Murray Township, Page 72.
- Province of Ontario Marriage Registers: Richard Oliver & Susannah Hodges, Family History Library.
- 1871 Census for Canada. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com. Ontario, Northumberland East, Brighton Township, Page 55.
- 1881 Census for Canada "Ontario, Hastings West (121), Sydney (a-2), page 9."
- Ontario Death Registration. Richard Oliver, #006877-88.
- Notebook of Thomas Oliver, Devon and Ontario, held by a descendant.