#1362, (28 December 1834 - 2 February 1899)
|Father||James Cordell1 (1804 - 1886)|
|Mother||Eliza Forster1 (circa 1809 - 1878)|
Children of Elizabeth Cordell and Thomas Woolley
|Baptism||Elizabeth Cordell was baptized on 28 Dec 1834 in St Mary & St Hugh Church, Harlow, Essex. She was the daughter of James, a labourer, & Eliza Cordle of Hobbs Cross.2|
|(with Father) 1841 Census||She appeared on the 1841 Census of Harlow, Essex in the household of her father James Cordell. Elizabeth was 6 and born in the county.3|
|1851 Census||Elizabeth Cordell appeared on the 1851 Census of Roydon, Essex, at Roydon Hall. She was a House Servant to a farmer's family, age 16, birthplace Sheering Essex. [Sheering is adjacent to Harlow]4|
|(Witness) Marriage||An Elizabeth Cordell witnessed the marriage of William Smart and Eliza Cordell on 13 Jun 1857 in St. Mary's Church, Harlow, Essex. The witness was Eliza's sister; the signature matches that of her own marriage certificate.1|
|1861 Census||Elizabeth Cordell appeared on the 1861 Census of Kensington, Middlesex, at 16 Hanover Terrace Villa. She was a cook in a barrister's household, age 26, unmarried, and born in Harlow.5|
|Marriage||She married Thomas Woolley on 17 Oct 1863 in St John Notting Hill, Middlesex.|
Details from the register: Thomas Woolley, full age, widower, Clerk to a Stationer, residence Parish of St Benet Sherehog in the City of London, father Robert Woolley (deceased), Constable;
Elizabeth Cordell, full age, spinster, 16 Hanover Villas, father James Cordell, farmer;
They were married in the District Parish Church after banns and the witnesses were Robert Woolley and [?] Woolley.6
|Research Note||On her marriage certificate, Elizabeth has elevated her father's occupation from an agricultural labourer to a farmer. This was not uncommon and who was to argue?|
|1871 Census||Thomas and Elizabeth Wooley appeared on the 1871 Census of Bromley St Leonard, Middlesex, at 13 Reeves Road. Thomas was 37, a stationer, and born in Paddington St Pancras. Elizabeth was 36 and born in Harlow Essex. Their children were Robert W (13), Elliner E (5), Jane L (3) and Frederick C (7 months.)7|
|1881 Census||Thomas and Elizth appeared on the 1881 Census of Mile End Old Town, Middlesex, at 3 Alma Road. Thomas was 47, a Stationers Warehouseman, and was born in Somers Town St Pancras. Elizabeth was 46 and born in Harlow. Their children were Fredk Chas (11), Edith Emily (8), Percy John (5), and Minnie Ada (2). The last 3 children were born in Mile End.8|
|Note.||Three of their children died within a few years of one another: Minnie Ada, age 6, in 1885; Edith Emily, age 16, in 1888; Frederick Charles, age 19, in 1889.|
|1891 Census||Thomas and Elizabeth appeared on the 1891 Census of St Pancras, London, at 3 Alma Road. Thomas was 57, employed as a stationers warehouseman, and was born in St Pancras, London. Elizabeth was 56 and born in Harlow. With them was their son Percy John (15, engaged in a factory) and one boarder.9|
|Death||Elizabeth died on 2 Feb 1899.10,11|
|Probate||Her estate was proved on 3 Mar 1899 in London. Entry from the probate calendar: |
WOOLLEY Elizabeth of 3 Alma-road Mile End Middlesex (wife of Thomas Woolley) died 2 February 1899. Administration London 3 March to the said Thomas Woolley warehouseman. Effects £202 17s 5d.11
|Last Edited||14 Mar 2015|
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363).
- St Mary and St Hugh Harlow Essex Baptism Register. Image viewed at SEAX. Elizabeth Cordle, 1834, #1208.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/33 Book 3 Folio 47. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1770 folio 365. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/14 folio 155. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Marriages of St John Notting Hill, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Woolley & Elizabeth Cordell, 1863, #296.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/569 folio 85. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/485 folio 170. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/311 folio 111. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. Elizabeth Woolley, age 64, Mar Q 1899, Mile End RD.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Elizabeth Woolley, 1899.
- Baptisms of St Giles Cripplegate, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Eleanor Elizabeth Woolley, 1866, #172.
- Baptisms of St Giles Cripplegate, London. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Jane Louisa Woolley, 1868, #58.
- Baptisms of Bromley St Leonard, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Frederic Charles Woolley, 1870, #1499.