#310, (25 February 1833 - 1904)
|Father||George Smart3 (between 1807 and 1811 - 1848)|
|Mother||Caroline Cooper3 (circa 1805 - 1887)|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Descendants of Henry Smart
Children of William Smart and Eliza Cordell
* * * * *
William Smart was the fourth of seven children born to George Smart, a cheesemonger, and his wife Caroline. William was baptised both in St James Westminster where he was born in 1833 and in Lambeth, Surrey where his parents were married and possibly where their families were. William was a teenager when his father died and he went on to become a carrier's clerk. When he was 24, he married Eliza Cordell, a house servant from Harlow, Essex who worked in St James Middlesex. They lived in Shoreditch, Reading, and finally St Pancras for many years. They had six children. In the latter years of her life, William's mother Caroline lived with them. When William was older and widowed, he lived with his son Thomas.
* * * * *
|Birth||William Smart was born on 25 Feb 1833 in St James, Middlesex.3,4|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 17 Apr 1833 in St James Westminster, Middlesex. The register noted that he was born February 25th and was the son of George, a cheesemonger, & Caroline Smart of Gt Windmill St.3|
|Baptism||He was baptized on 15 Nov 1835 in St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. The register noted that he was the son of George, a cheesemonger, and Caroline Smart of Park Street. This baptism was the same day as his baby brother Thomas.5|
|1841 Census||William was not enumerated with his parents. There is a William Smart who appeared on the 1841 Census of Mitcham, Surrey, at Prussian Place. He was 8 years old, not born in Surrey and was with John and Hannah Burgess. [there is no certainty that this is "our" William]6|
|(Father died) Death||William was 14 years old when his father died by suicide.7|
|(with Mother) 1851 Census||William appeared on the 1851 Census of St James Westminster, Middlesex with his widowed mother. He was 18 and born in St James Westminster.8|
|Marriage Bann||Marriage banns were published on May 24th, 31st and June 7th of 1857 in Harlow, Essex. The register recorded William as a bachelor residing in the parish of St Bartholomew the Great and Eliza residing in Harlow parish.9|
|Marriage||He married Eliza Cordell, daughter of James Cordell and Eliza Forster, on 13 Jun 1857 in St. Mary's Church, Harlow, Essex.|
Information from certificate: Wm was above age, a bachelor, a clerk, his residence was St Bartholomew the Great parish, and his father was George Smart, grocer. Eliza was above age, a spinster, a servant, her residence was Harlow, and her father was James Cordell, labourer. They were married after banns and the witnesses were John Cordell and Elizabeth Cordell [likely Eliza's siblings].9
|1861 Census||William and Eliza Smart appeared on the 1861 Census of St Leonards Shoreditch, Middlesex, at 9 New Gloster Street, enumerated 7 Apr 1861. Three families lived at this address. William was age 28, a Carriers Clerk, and born in St Jas Westminster, Middx. Eliza was 28 and born in Harlow, Essex. Their children were Wm James (age 2) and Caroline E (1, born in Reading Berkshire.)10|
|1871 Census||William and Eliza appeared on the 1871 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex, at 55 Barclay Street, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. Three families lived at this address. William Smart was 38, a Carrier's Clerk, and was born in St James, Middlesex. Eliza was 28 and born in Harlow, Essex. Their children were William J (12, junior clerk to a barrister), Lilly (9, scholar), Thomas C (5, scholar), Louise (2), and Henry G (8 months). William's widowed mother Ann C Smart, a monthly nurse, was also with them.11|
|1881 Census||William and Eliza appeared on the 1881 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex, at 63 Barclay Street, enumerated 3 Apr 1881. Two families lived at this address. William was 48, a Carriers Clerk, and born in St James, Middlesex. Eliza was 48 and born in Harlow, Essex. Their children were William J (22, chancery clerk), Lillie (19, dressmaker), Thomas C (15, railway clerk), Louisa (12, scholar), and Henry G (10, scholar). Caroline Smart, William's mother (73, nurse, widow, born in Stowmarket) was also with them.4|
|1891 Census||William and Elizabeth [sic] appeared on the 1891 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex, at 63 Barclay Street, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. There were two families at this address, the Smarts living in 3 rooms and a couple living in 1 room. William was 57, employed as a Carrier's Clerk, and was born in St Pancras, London. Elizabeth was 57 and born in Harlow, Essex. Two daughters and a son were still at home: Lilly (29, dressmaker), Louisa (22, milliner), and Henry (20, merchants clerk.)12|
|(Widowed) Death||His wife Eliza died in 1891.13|
|(Other) 1901 Census||William Smart was in his son Thomas's household on the 1901 Census of Deptford St Paul Civil Parish, London. William was a widower, age 70, a retired Carriers Clerk, and was born in St. James's West.14|
|Death||William died in 1904.15|
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2014|
- Copy birth certificate of William James Smart, born 4 May 1858, registered 21 May 1858 in the Registration District of Shoreditch.
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363). marriage.
- Microfilm of the Baptismal Register of St. James' Church, Westminster, Middlesex, 1826-1841 (Family History Library, 1042311).
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/0204 folio 41. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Baptisms of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. William Smart, 1835, #1628.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1079/5 folio 51. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Copy death certificate of George Smart, died 8 January 1848, registered 10 January 1848 in the Registration District of Saint James Westminster.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1484 folio 211. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363).
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/241 folio 66. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/228 folio 58. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/126 folio 164. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. Eliza Smart, age 58, Sep Q 1891, Pancras RD.
- Image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census of England & Wales, http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/), RG 13/524 folio 158.
- Letters from Ann Collett, England, to J Kolthammer, dated various dates, 5 Nov 1996.
- Copy marriage certificate of William James Smart and Sarah Mary Fernee, married 12 August 1882 in the Registration District of Pancras.