#313, (25 August 1804 - 11 January 1886)
|Father||John Cordell1 (circa 1782 - after 1861)|
|Mother||Susanna (-?-)1 (circa 1779 - 1864)|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Children of James Cordell and Eliza Forster
* * * * *
James was born and lived in the rural parish of Harlow, Essex. He was an agricultural labourer who married at age 21 or 22. He and Eliza had seven children who grew up to be servants or agricultural labourers and also married at early ages. James lived to the age of 81.
There are several other Cordell families in Harlow and nearby parishes - likely James' siblings and their children. I have not yet sorted them out.
* * * * *
|Birth||James Cordell was born on 25 Aug 1804 in Harlow, Essex.1|
|Marriage||He married Eliza Forster on 24 Nov 1827 in Harlow.|
They were married by banns with the consent of their parents. Eliza signed with an X. The witness was Susanna Forster.1
|1841 Census||James and Eliza Cordell appeared on the 1841 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Burrs Farm. James was 35, an Ag Lab, and was born in the county of Essex. His wife Eliza was not present. The children were John (10), Eliza (8), Elizabeth (6), Sarah (3), and George (1). There was a housekeeper, Frances Thurgood, 65. The apparent head of household was Rachel Wentworth, 85, not born in Essex. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.2|
|1851 Census||James and Eliza appeared on the 1851 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Burr's Farm. James was 46 and an agricultural labourer. Eliza was 42. Their children at home were John (20, ag lab), Sarah (13, scholar), George (11, errand boy), and Emma (9, scholar). They were all born in Harlow.3|
|1861 Census||James Cordell appeared on the 1861 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Foster Street. James was age 55, married, an ag lab, and born in Harlow. No one else was with him. There was an enumerator's note that 1 female in the district was away visiting her daughter [may have been his wife Eliza].4|
|1871 Census||James and Eliza Cordell appeared on the 1871 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Foster Street. James was 66, an agricultural laborer, and was born in Harlow. Eliza was 59 and born in Harlow.5|
|(Widowed) Burial.||His wife Eliza died in 1878.6|
|1881 Census||James Cordell appeared on the 1881 Census of High Laver, Essex. James was 76 years old, a widower, Ag Lab, and was born in Harlow. He was with his son George's family. [The parish of High Laver is less than 5 miles from the parish of Harlow].7|
|Burial.||He was buried on 11 Jan 1886 in Foster Street Non-Conformist Burial Ground, Harlow, Essex. The burial record noted that he was 81 years old.8|
|Last Edited||14 Mar 2015|
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363).
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/33 Book 3 Folio 47. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1770 folio 491 page 10. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/1065 folio 51. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/1641 folio 53. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- National Burial Index for England & Wales, compiled by Federation of Family History Societies, Bury, England, 2004. Viewed online at findmypast.com. Eliza Cordell, 1878.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/1740 folio 10. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- National Burial Index for England & Wales, compiled by Federation of Family History Societies, Bury, England, 2004. Viewed online at findmypast.com. James Cordell, 1886.