#2663, (circa 1821 - 1904)
|Father||William Buckley1 (between 1787 and 1791 - 1844)|
|Mother||Catherine (-?-)2 (circa 1788 - )|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Descendants of William Wright & his wife Jane
Children of Ellen Buckley and Charles Wright
* * * * *
Ellen was born to Irish parents. Neither she nor they could sign their own name. Ellen married Charles Wright, a labourer in the iron trade, and they lived in Lambeth, Surrey. For over 40 years, Ellen lived at 5 Granbys Buildings with various of their children's families living there as well. She lived to the age of 84 and many of her descendants have been given the name Ellen.
* * * * *
|Birth||Ellen Buckley was born circa 1821 in Kennington or Westminster, Middlesex.3,4|
|Marriage||She married Charles Wright, son of William Wright and Jane (-?-), on 2 Nov 1840 in St Mary Newington, Surrey.|
Information from the certificate: Charles Wright, full age, Bachelor, Labourer, residence 2 Bread Street, son of William Wright deceased;
Ellen Buckley, full age, Spinster, 2 Bread St, daughter of William Buckley, Mason. They were married in the Parish Church after Banns. Ellen signed with an X. Witnesses were William Buckley [X] and Catherine Buckley [X].1,5
|Note.||Ellen's sister Mary married Charles' brother Noah.|
|(with Parents) 1841 Census||Ellen and her husband Charles Wright appeared on the 1841 Census of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey in the household of her parents. Ellen was 20, and not born in the county of Surrey.2|
|1851 Census||Chas and Ellen Wright appeared on the 1851 Census of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey, at 67 Broad Street, enumerated 30 Mar 1851. Charles was 34, an Iron Driller, and was born in Lambeth. Ellen was 30 and born in Lambeth. Their children were Jane (8, scholar), Catherine (6, scholar), Wm (2), and Noah (8 months). At the same address was Charles' brother Noah, his wife and two visitors (Catherine Murphy and her daughter Mary), and in a separate household the Burley family with three lodgers: Ellen's widowed mother Catherine Buckley, an Edward Buckley (25), and Charles' brother Matthew (22.)6|
|1861 Census||Charles and Ellen appeared on the 1861 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, at 5 Granbys Buildings, enumerated 15 Apr 1861. Charles was age 44, an Engineers Labourer, and was born in Lambeth. Ellen was 40 and born in Middlesex. Their children at home were William (12, potter's assistant), Noah (10, potter's assistant), John (8), Edward (6), James (4), Mary (3), and Clara (1). The children John through Mary were scholars. Charles' widowed brother Noah also lived there and they had a visitor (Mary Murphy, single, 20, crinoline maker, born Westminster). Also living at the same address were two other families.3|
|1871 Census||Charles and Ellen appeared on the 1871 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, at 5 Granbys Buildings, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. Charles was age 54, a Laborer in the Iron Trade, and was born in Lambeth. Ellen was 50 and born in Lambeth. Their children were Noah (20, potter), James (15, printers assistant), Mary (13, general servant), Clara (11, scholar), Mark (9, scholar). Also with them were a friend, Elizabeth McDermot (widow, 70, born Ireland), and a visitor Henry McDermot (unmarried, 26, mat maker, born Lambeth). There were two additional families lodging at this address.7|
|1881 Census||Charles and Ellen Wright appeared on the 1881 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, at 5 Granbys Buildings, enumerated 3 Apr 1881. Charles was 65, an Engineers Labourer, and born in Lambeth. His wife Ellen was 60 and born in Lambeth. They had one son at home, Mark (19, coach painter). Also at this address (but relationships were not recorded) were their daughter Jane Pace and her family, daughter Mary Sykes and her family, and William and Sarah Webb with their son William (4.)8|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband Charles died on 26 Apr 1882.9|
|1891 Census||Ellen Wright appeared on the 1891 Census of Lambeth, London, at No. 5 Granbys Buildings, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. Ellen was a widow, age 70, not employed, born in Westminster, and was living in one room. She had one boarder living with her. At the same address were her daughters Mary and Clara and their families.10|
|1901 Census||Ellen appeared on the 1901 Census of Lambeth, London, at 5 Granby Buildings, enumerated 31 Mar 1901. She was a widow, age 80, and born in Westminster. Living with her were her widowed daughter Mary Sykes and her family.4|
|Death||Ellen died in 1904 in Surrey.11|
|Last Edited||26 Jan 2015|
- Copy marriage certificate of Charles Wright and Ellen Buckley, married 2 November 1840 in the Registration District of St Mary Newington.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1057 Book 8 Folio 44. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/352 folio 144. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, RG13/406 folio 89. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Marriages of the parish of St Mary Newington. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Charles Wright & Ellen Buckley, 1840, #293.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1571 folio 114. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/661 folio 66 (St Mary the Less eclesiastical district). Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/592 folio 49. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Copy death certificate of Charles Wright, died 26 April 1882, registered 19 April 1882 in the Registration District of Lambeth.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/392 folio 119. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. Ellen Wright, age 84, Mar Q 1904, Lambeth RD.
- Microfilm of the Baptismal Register of St. Mary's Church, Lambeth, Surrey, 1834-1862 (Family History Library, 1041529+).
- Baptisms of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. John Wright, 1852, #1227.