#319, (12 September 1852 - 12 February 1903)
|Father||Charles Wright1,2 (1815 - 1882)|
|Mother||Ellen Buckley1 (circa 1821 - 1904)|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Descendants of William Wright & his wife Jane
Descendants of Thomas Cox & Martha Ann Beaton
Grandma's Parents and Grandparents
Children of John Wright and Emma Mary Susanna Cox
* * * * *
John Wright, born in 1852 in Lambeth, Surrey, was the middle child in a family of eleven. When he was 19, he was employed as a carman (used a horse and cart to make deliveries). At the age of 28, he married Emma Mary Susanna Cox. By then he was a potter, an occupation that he continued his whole life. John died of tuberculosis in 1903 at the age of 50 at which time his six children ranged from 10 to 20 years of age. His widow and children emigrated to Canada.
* * * * *
|Baptism||John Wright was baptized on 12 Sep 1852 in St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. This was a populous parish; there were 14 baptisms that day. He was noted to be the son of Charles, a labourer, & Ellen Wright of 67 Broad Street.1|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||John appeared on the 1861 Census of Lambeth, Surrey with his parents. He was 8, a Scholar, and was born in Lambeth. John had two older brothers, William and Noah, and four younger siblings, Edward, James, Mary, and Clara.3|
|1871 Census||John Wright was a lodger on the 1871 Census of Camberwell, Surrey, at 64 Neale Street, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. He was 19, unmarried, a carman, and was born in Vauxhall, Surrey. [Vauxhall is in the parish of Lambeth. Of course, John Wright is a common name so this might not be the right fellow, but it is the best option].4|
|(Witness) Marriage||John Wright witnessed the marriage of his brother Noah Wright and Emma Beadle on 21 Dec 1873 in St Mary Lambeth.5|
|(Witness) Marriage||John Wright witnessed the marriage of Frederick William Sheene and his sister Clara Wright on 24 Feb 1878 in St Mary Lambeth.6|
|Marriage||John Wright married Emma Mary Susanna Cox, daughter of Thomas Joseph Cox and Emma Martin Stocker, on 19 Dec 1880 in St. Peter's Church, Battersea, Surrey, by banns. The marriage certificate stated that John was 28, a bachelor, a Potter, and son of Charles Wright, Store Keeper. Emma Mary Susannah was 22, a spinster, and daughter of Thomas Cox, Mechanic. Both resided at 11 Meyrick Road. Witnesses were Thomas Joseph Cox and Kate Fuller.2,7|
|1881 Census||John and Emma Wright appeared on the 1881 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, at 83 Vauxhall Street, enumerated 3 Apr 1881. John was age 28, a Potter, and born in Lambeth. Emma was 22 and born in Blackfriars. Two families lived at this address.8|
|1891 Census||John and Emma M Wright appeared on the 1891 Census of Battersea, London, at 9 Meyrick Rd, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. They lived in four rooms and two other families were also at this address. Emma's parents were at 11 Meyrick Road. John was 38, born at Lambeth Surrey and was employed as a Terra Cotta Potter. Emma was 32 and was born in Brixton, Surrey. Their children were Emma (9), John (7), Edward (5), Ellen (2), and Florence (1 month). The three eldest were scholars.9|
|1901 Census||John and Emma Mary S Wright appeared on the 1901 Census of Battersea, London, at 15 Meyrick Rd, enumerated 31 Mar 1901. They lived next door to Emma's widowed father. John was 48, born in Lambeth, and his occupation was described as Potter Foreman Architectural Brand Terra Cotta. The census overseer has added "Brick maker". Emma Mary S was 42 and born in Brixton, London. Their children were Emma (19, dressmaker), John (17, potter), Edward (15, potter), Ellen (12), Florence (10), and Charles Richard (8.)10|
|Death||John died on 12 Feb 1903 in 15 Meyrick Road, Battersea, Surrey.|
Information from certificate: age 50, Journeyman Potter, died of phthisis pulmonalis [tuberculosis], Syncope, certified by J Smyth M.B. The informant was E.M.S. Wright of 15 Meyrick Road, widow of deceased, present at the death.11
|Probate||His estate was proved on 17 Aug 1903. Entry from the calendar:|
Wright John of 15 Meyrick-road Clapham Junction Surrey died 12 February 1903 Administration London 17 August to Emma Mary Susannah Wright widow. Effects £100.12
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2014|
- Baptisms of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. John Wright, 1852, #1227.
- Copy marriage certificate of John Wright and Emma Mary Susannah Cox, married 19 December 1880 in the Registration District of Wandsworth.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/352 folio 144. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/740 folio 42 page 11. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Marriages of the parish of St Mary Lambeth. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Noah Wright & Emma Beadle, 1873.
- Marriages of the parish of St Mary Lambeth. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Frederick William Sheene & Clara Wright, 1878, #28.
- Marriages of the parish of St Peter's Battersea. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Joseph Cox & Emma Martin Stocker, 1856.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/598 folio 44. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/434 folio 5. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census of England & Wales, http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/), RG 13/453 folio 60.
- Copy death certificate of John Wright, died 12 February 1903, registered 14 February 1903 in the Registration District of Wandsworth.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. John Wright, 1903.
- Copy birth certificate of Ellen Wright, born 1 March 1889, registered 5 April 1889 in the Registration District of Wandsworth.
- Baptisms of the parish of St Peter Battersea. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Charles Richard Wright, 1893, #1716.