#308, (4 May 1858 - 24 May 1922)
|Father||William Smart1,2 (1833 - 1904)|
|Mother||Eliza Cordell1 (1832 - 1891)|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Descendants of Henry Smart
Grandma's Parents and Grandparents
Children of William James Smart and Sarah Mary Fernee
* * * * *
William James was the eldest child of William & Eliza Smart. He was born in 1858 in Hoxton, Middlesex and baptised in Harlow, Essex, where his mother came from. His father was a carrier's clerk and by the age of 12, William James was a junior clerk to a barrister. He continued to be a solicitor's clerk throughout his life. At 24, William married Sarah Mary Fernee, the daughter of a carver. They had seven children, all of whom survived to adulthood. The eldest son, William Thomas, emigrated to Canada and returned with his wife for a visit in 1921. Daughters May and Dorothy also went to Canada. William died at the age of 64 and his widow Sarah lived another 28 years.
* * * * *
|Birth||William James Smart was born on 4 May 1858 in 37 Newton Street, Hoxton Old Town, Middlesex.|
Information from certificate: father William Smart, Commercial Clerk, mother Eliza Smart formerly Cordell, registered by father William Smart of 37 Newton Street, Hoxton Old Town.1
|Baptism||He was baptized on 13 Jun 1858 in St Mary & St Hugh Church, Harlow, Essex. The register noted that he was the son of William, a commercial clerk, and Eliza Smart of Harlow.3|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||Wm James appeared on the 1861 Census of St Leonards Shoreditch, Middlesex with his parents. He was 2 years old and born in Hoxton, Middlesex.4|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||William J Smart appeared on the 1871 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex with his parents. He was 12, a Junior Clerk to a Barrister, and was born in Shoreditch, Middlesex. He had four younger siblings and his grandmother Smart was also in the household.5|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||William J Smart appeared on the 1881 Census of St. Pancras, Middlesex with his parents, four siblings, and his grandmother. He was 22, a Chancery Clerk, and born in Hoxton, Middlesex.6|
|Marriage||He married Sarah Mary Fernee, daughter of Thomas Fernee and Sarah Mary Godart, on 12 Aug 1882 in Bedford Chapel, Middlesex.|
Information from certificate: William James Smart, 24, Bachelor, Solicitors Clerk, residence 63 Barclay Street, father William Smart, Commercial Clerk. Sarah Mary Fernee, 20, Spinster, residence 16 Werrington Street, daughter of Thomas Fernee, Carver. They were married in the Bedford Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Independents by Certificate by R.A. Bertram, Congregational Minister, co-signed by the Registrar; signed W J Smart & S M Fernee; witnesses were Thomas Fernee and William A? Lowden.2
|Residence||On 8 Sep 1884, William James Smart lived in 42 Marquis Road, Pancras, Middlesex.7|
|1891 Census||William J and Sarah M Smart appeared on the 1891 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at 42 Raleigh Rd, enumerated 5 Apr 1891. William was 32, employed as a Solicitor's Clerk, and was born in Hoxton, London. Sarah was 29 and born in St Pancras. Their children were Mary (7), William T (6), Herbert H (5), Ethel (2), and Winifred (under 11 months). They also had a 13 year old nursemaid.8|
|1901 Census||William J and Sarah M Smart appeared on the 1901 Census of Hornsey, Middlesex, at 19 Pemberton Rd, enumerated 31 Mar 1901. William was 42, a Solicitor's Managing Clerk, and was born in Hoxton, London. Sarah was 39 and born in St Pancras. Their children were Mary (17), William T (16, mercantile clerk), Herbert H (15), Ethel (12), Winifred (10), Marjorie (6), and Dorothy (3.)9|
|1911 Census||William James and Sarah Mary Smart appeared on the 1911 Census of Harringay, London, at 19 Pemberton Road, enumerated 2 Apr 1911. William James was 52, a Solicitors Managing Clerk working in the Law business, and was born in Hoxton, Middlesex. Sarah Mary was 49 and born in St Pancras, Middlesex. They had been married 28 years and had had 7 children, all of whom were still living. Their house had 9 rooms and the census schedule was written and signed by William.10|
|Will||He wrote a will dated 16 Aug 1921. |
Abstract of the last will and testament of William James Smart of 90 Ullswater Road, Southgate N14
- names wife Sarah Mary Smart as Executrix and she is to receive all his possessions
- should Sarah Mary predecease him, then son Herbert Henry Smart to be executor
- to daughter Marjorie £400 in stocks or securities and may if she wishes take the War Savings Certificates to be valued at £1 each as part of the £400
- to son William Thomas £50
- to son Herbert Henry £50
- to each of daughters Mary, Ethel, Winifred, Marjorie, and Dorothy £100; this legacy to Marjorie is in addition to the £400
- to daughters Ethel and Marjorie the leasehold house at 90 Ullswater Road and all furniture and belongings; "if one should marry I hope that she will provide for the one not marrying or that if a married daughter should be in distress that they will assist to the best of their means"
- to the said five daughters residue of estate.11
|Death||William died on 24 May 1922 in London.12,13|
|Probate||His estate was proved on 22 Jul 1922. Entry from the calendar:|
Smart William James of 90 Ullswater-road Southgate Middlesex died 24 May 1922 Probate London 22 July to Sarah Mary Smart widow. Effects £2195 3s. 6d.11
|Last Edited||31 Mar 2015|
- Copy birth certificate of William James Smart, born 4 May 1858, registered 21 May 1858 in the Registration District of Shoreditch.
- Copy marriage certificate of William James Smart and Sarah Mary Fernee, married 12 August 1882 in the Registration District of Pancras.
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363). William James Smart, 1858, #1985.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/241 folio 66. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/228 folio 58. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/0204 folio 41. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Copy birth certificate of William Thomas Smart, born 8 September 1884, registered 16 October 1884 in the Registration District of Pancras.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/1059 folio 46. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census of England & Wales, http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/), RG 13 / 1237 folio 70 page 14.
- Image of the 1911 Census for England and Wales (1911 Census.co.uk, http://www.1911census.co.uk/), RG14 RD132 SD1 ED3 SN17.
- Will and Administration of William James Smart of Southgate, 16 August 1921, proved in the Principal Probate Registry, 22 July 1922 (Family History Library, Film #0,251,438).
- Letters from Ann Collett, England, to J Kolthammer, dated various dates, Nov 1989.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Herbert Henry Smart, 1937.