#312, (between 1807 and 1811 - 8 January 1848)
|Father||Henry Smart1,2 (say 1780 - )|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Descendants of Henry Smart
Children of George Smart and Caroline Cooper
* * * * *
George Smart married Caroline Cooper with his father's permission before the age of 21. George signed his name but neither his father nor his bride could. George was a cheesemonger in St James Westminster. He died in his early 40s. They had several children, some dying young.
* * * * *
|Birth||George Smart was born between 1807 and 1811 in Middlesex.1,3|
|Marriage||He married Caroline Cooper on 5 Feb 1828 in St Mary Lambeth, Surrey.|
Information recorded in the parish register: George Smart of this parish, bachelor, a minor, married Caroline Cooper of this parish, spinster, and she signed with an X. They were married by banns with consent of George's father Henry Smart. Witnesses were Henry Smart, who signed with an X, Elizabeth Offord and Henry Offord.1,2
|Residence||On 17 Apr 1833, George Smart lived in Great Windmill Street, St James Westminster.4|
|(Son's death) Burial.||His son Thomas was buried on 6 May 1838 in St Mary Lambeth. Their address was Regent Street.5|
|1841 Census||George and Caroline Smart appeared on the 1841 Census of St James Westminster, Middlesex, at Duke Street, enumerated 6 Jun 1841. George was 30, a Cheesemonger, and born in the county. Caroline was 30 and born in the county. Children with them were Mary (13) and George (10).3|
|Newspaper|| Published 9 Apr 1847 in the London Gazette.6 |
|Newspaper|| Published 30 Apr 1847 and repeated May 7th in the London Gazette. |
In the Matter of the Petition of George Smart, of No. 42, Duke-street, in the parish of Saint James's, in the city of Westminster, in the county of Middlesex, Grocer and Cheesemonger.
NOTICE is hereby given, that John Samuel Martin Fonblanque, Esq. the Commissioner acting in the matter of this Petition, will proceed to make a Final Order thereon, at the Court of Bankruptcy, Basinghall-street, in the city of London, on the 13th day of May next, at eleven o'clock in the forenoon precisely, unless cause be then and there shewn to the contrary.7
|Death||George died on 8 Jan 1848 in 42 Duke Street, St James Westminster, Middlesex.|
Information as recorded on the certificate: George Smart, age 39, grocer, died of vitriol suicide following a temporary insanity lasting 2 months. There was an inquest and the informant on the death certificate was Chas St C Bedford, coroner, of 2 Dartmouth Street, Westminster.8
|Newspaper|| Published 12 Jan 1848 in the [London] Morning Post. List of courts and cases to be heard this day included|
Bankruptcy Court, Basinghall-street. -- Before Mr Commissioner Fonblanque. -- George Smart, Duke-street, Westminster, grocer, adjourned final order at eleven.9
|Burial||He was buried on 16 Jan 1848 in St James Westminster, Middlesex. The burial register noted that his abode was Duke Street and he was 40 years of age.10|
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2014|
- Microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey, 1827-1829 (Family History Library, 254609), "Smart/Cooper marriage, 1828."
- Marriages of the parish of St Mary Lambeth. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. George Smart & Caroline Cooper, 1828.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/736 Book 4 Folio 10. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Microfilm of the Baptismal Register of St. James' Church, Westminster, Middlesex, 1826-1841 (Family History Library, 1042311).
- Burials of St Mary Lambeth. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Smart, 1838, #1229.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, George Smart bankruptcy proceedings. Issue 20722, 9 April 1847.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, George Smart bankruptcy proceedings. Issue 20729, 30 April 1847.
- Copy death certificate of George Smart, died 8 January 1848, registered 10 January 1848 in the Registration District of Saint James Westminster.
- [London] Morning Post, Court Sittings. 12 January 1848, page 7. Image accessed online at Find My Past.
- Burials of St James Westminster, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. George Smart, 1848, #41.
- Microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey, 1827-1829 (Family History Library, 254609).
- Baptisms of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Smart, 1830, #1567.
- Microfilm of the Baptismal Register of St. Mary's Church, Lambeth, Surrey, 1834-1862 (Family History Library, 1041529+).
- Baptisms of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Henry Smart, 1838, #687.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1484 folio 211. Image viewed at Ancestry.