Peter Dennett Godart1
#17544, (c 1788 - 1860)
|Father||Peter Godart2 (1754 - 1818)|
|Mother||Mary Dowson2 (c 1757 - 1842)|
|Relationship||Son of Peter Godart|
|Charts||Peter Godart & Mary Dowson - Children & Grandchildren|
Peter Godart & Mary Dowson - collapsible 6 generation descendant chart
Children of Peter Dennett Godart and Elizabeth Jackson
|Occupation||Peter Dennett Godart was a oilman, tallow chandler, dealer and chapman, plumber, painter & glazier.|
|Residence|| Identified thus far:|
St Giles in the Fields parish (1809)
7 Wilmot Street Brunswick Square (1810) (father's address)
Marylebone (1813, 18, 20, 22)
St George in the East (1825)
Pell Street (1825)
Upper East Smithfield (1841)
26 King Street, Tower-hill (1850, 52.)
|Birth||He was born circa 1788 in Marylebone, Middlesex.3|
|Marriage License||He obtained a marriage license on 26 Aug 1809. Information from the licence: Peter Godart of parish of St Giles in the Fields, County of Middlesex, bachelor age 21 and upwards & Elizabeth Jackson of same parish, spinster, age 21 & up; license is for St Giles in the Fields [document includes Peter's signature].4|
|Marriage||He married Elizabeth Jackson on 28 Aug 1809 in St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex.|
Details from the register: Peter was a bachelor and Elizabeth a spinster, both of the parish, and married by banns. The witnesses were Peter Godart Sr, Geog Jackson and Thomas Jackson.5
|Item||On 31 Jan 1810, Peter Dennett Godart junior, of 7 Wilmot Street Bunswick Square, tallow chandler, was insured by the Sun Fire Office.6|
|Newspaper|| Published 22 Jan 1811. |
Whereas a Commission of Bankrupt is awarded and issued forth against Peter Godart, late of Wilmot-Street, Brunswick-Square, and Tottenham-Court-Road, in the Countyof Middlesex, Oilman and Tallow Chandler, Dealer and Chapman, and he being declared a Bankrupt is hereby required to surrender himself to the Commissioners in the said Commission named, or the major Part of them, on the 2d and 9th Days of February next, and on the 9th Day of March following, at Eleven of the Clock in the Forenoon on each of the said Days, at Guildhall, London, and make a full Discovery and Disclosure of his Estate and Effects; when and where the Creditors are to come prepared to prove their Debts, and at the Second Sitting to chuse Assignees, and at the Last Sitting the said Bankrupt is required to finish his Examination,and the Creditors are to assent to or dissent from the Allowance of his Certificate. All Persons indebted to the said Bankrupt, or that have any of his Effects, are not to pay or deliver the same but to when the Commissioners shall appoint, but give Notice to Mr. Nind, Solicitor, Throgmorton-Street, London.7
|Newspaper|| 23 Feb 1811 |
The Creditors who have proved their Debts under a Commission of Bankrupt awarded and issued against Peter Godart, late of Wilmot-Street, Brunswick-Square, and Tottenham-Court-Road, in the County of Middlesex, Oilman and Tallow-Chandler, Dealer and Chapman, are desired to meet the Assignees of the estate and Effects of the said Bankrupt, on the 28th of February instant, at Twelve at Noon, at the Office of Benjamin Nind, Solicitor to the Commission, No. 32, Throgmorton-Street, London, in order to assent to or dissent from the said Assignees commencing, prosecuting, or defending any Suit or Suits at Law, or filing any Bill in Equity, for Recovery of any Part of the said Bankrupt's Estate and Effects; or to the compounding, submitting to Arbitration, or otherwise agreeing any Matter or Thing relating thereto; and on other special Affairs.8
|(Witness) Marriage||Peter Godart Senr witnessed the marriage of his son Peter Godart and Elizabeth Brooker on 29 Nov 1838 in St John of Wapping, Middlesex.9|
|1841 Census||Peter Dennett Godart and Elizabeth Jackson appeared on the 1841 Census of St John Wapping, Middlesex, at Upper East Smithfield. Peter was 50, a Plumber and Painter[?], and born in the county. Elizabeth was 50 and born in the county Their children Charlotte, Thomas, Mary and Anne were living with them, as well an apprentice William Brooker, 15, not born in county. [Two of their children married Brookers from Essex so William might be their relative]. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.10|
|Voters' List||Peter Dennett Godart appeared on the electoral roll in 1842 in St John Wapping, Tower Hamlets|
1841 & 1842 - Peter Godart, Upper East-smithfield, nature of qualification: house
1846 - 26 King-street, house, resided there.11
|(Witness) Marriage||Peter Godart witnessed the marriage of William Castor Bear to his daughter Charlotte Godart on 1 Nov 1842 in All Saints Stepney, Middlesex. The signature matched the one when he witnessed his son Peter's marriage.12|
|(Witness) Marriage||Peter Godart witnessed the marriage of his son Thomas Godart and Laura Bear on 3 Oct 1846 in All Saints Stepney.13|
|Newspaper|| Published 5 Nov 1850. |
Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors.
The following Persons, who,on their several Petitions filed in the Court, have obtained Interim Orders for protection from process, are required to appear in Court as hereinafter mentioned, at the Court-House, in Portugal-Street, Lincoln's-Inn, as follows, to be examined and dealt with according to the Statute:
On Wednesday the 20th November 1850, at Eleven o'Clock precisely, before the Chief Commissoner.
Peter Godart, of No. 26, King-street, Tower-hill, London, Plumber, Painter, and Glazier.14
|1851 Census||Peter Dennett Godart and Elizabeth Jackson appeared on the 1851 Census of St Botolph Aldgate CP, Middlesex, at King Street. Peter was age 63, a Plumber, and born in Mary le Bone. Elizabeth was 64 and born in St Giles in the Fields. They had two visitors, born in Brussels and Ghent.3|
|Directory||Peter Dennett Godart was listed in the 1852 London post office directory as " Godart Peter, plumber & glazier, 26 King Street, Tower Hill."15|
|Death||Peter died in 1860.16|
|Burial||He was buried on 25 Nov 1860 in St Pancras Cemetery.17|
|Last Edited||21 May 2013|
- Baptisms of St Marylebone, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Elizabeth Godart, 1818, #1734.
- Comment: birth record needs to be consulted.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1546 folio 543.
- Marriage Licence Allegation for Peter Godart and Elizabeth Jackson, Vicar-General's Office, 26 August 1809 (Family History Library, film #0,408,025).
- Marriages of St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Peter Godart & Elizabeth Jackson, 1809, #1817.
- Website Access to Archives (www.a2a.org.uk), Guildhall Library: Records of Sun Fire Office; ref. MS 11936/451/839672.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Issue 16446, 22 January 1811.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Issue 16458, 23 February 1811.
- Marriages of the parish of St John Wapping. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Peter Godart & Elizabeth Brooker, 1838, #42.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/715/5 folio 42.
- Ancestry.com. London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 [database on-line]. Original data: Electoral Registers. London, England: London Metropolitan Archives. Images viewed online.
- Marriages of All Saints, Mile End New Town Tower Hamlets Stepney, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. William Caster Bear & Charlotte Godart, 1842, #23.
- Marriages of All Saints Mile End New Town, Stepney, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Godart & Laura Bear, 1846, #96.
- The London Gazette, online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk, Issue 21150, 5 November 1850.
- Website Digital Library of Historical Directories (www.historicaldirectories.org), Post Office London Directory, p754.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, images viewed at Ancestry. Peter Godart, Dec Q 1860, Pancras RD.
- DeceasedOnline.com Indexes to Burials (http://www.deceasedonline), Peter Godart, 1860.
- Baptisms of St Marylebone, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Charlotte Godart, 1818, #1735.
- Baptisms of St Marylebone, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Thomas Godart, 1822, #2640.
- Baptisms of St Marylebone, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Mary Godart, 1822, #2641.
- Baptisms of St George in the East, Middlesex. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Ann Godart, 1825, #1420.