John Nathaniel McLean1
#19674, (1886 - 1969)
|Father||Duncan McLean1 (1851 - 1902)|
|Mother||Lavinia Schell1 (c 1860 - 1894)|
|Relationships||Great-grandson of Hector McLean|
Great-grandson of Angus McKinnon
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants|
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Children of John Nathaniel McLean and Martha Agnes Fitzgerald
|Note.||John Nathaniel McLean's paternal grandfather was named John and his maternal grandfather was Nathaniel.|
|Birth||John Nathaniel McLean was born on 9 Mar 1886 in Shoal Lake, Manitoba.|
Mother's name Lovina Schell, registered 4 Dec 1942.1
|(with Parents) 1900 Census||John N McLean appeared on the 1900 Federal Census Bottineau County, North Dakota with his father and stepmother. He was 14, born in March 1886 in Canada, parents born in Canada, and attended school 7 months that year.3|
|Research Note||Not yet found in the 1910 census.|
|(Witness) Marriage||Nat McLean witnessed the marriage of Reno W Ruegsegger and his sister Lottie McLean on 25 Oct 1911 in Redstone, Valley County, Montana.4|
|Marriage||John Nathaniel McLean married Martha Agnes Fitzgerald on 9 Jul 1913 in Culbertson, Montana.|
Information from the marriage license and certificate: Nathaniel McLean of Outlook Montana, age 26 years 4 months, birthplace North Dakota, not previously married, parents Duncan McLean & Levina Schell;
Martha Agnes Fitzgerald of Outlook, age 24, birthplace Illinois, not previously married, parents Robert Fitzgerald and Maria B Reardon;
They were married by a Catholic priest and the witnesses were Robt L West and Grace Fitzgerald.5
|Land Record||On 29 Jan 1915, John Nathaniel McLean obtained a land patent for 320 acres in Montana. Click here to find and view the document.6|
|Military||He completed a draft registration card on 12 Sep 1918 in Outlook, Montana. Information on the card included: Nathaniel McLean, of Outlook Montana, age 33, born March 9th 1886, white, citizen by father's naturalization before age of majority, farmer working on own account, nearest relative Martha Agness McLean of Outlook Montana; short height, medium build, grey eyes, brown hair.7|
|1920 Census||Nat J and Martha Mclean appeared on the 1920 Federal Census of Sheridan County, Montana. They owned their farm with a mortgage. Nat was 34, born in North Dakota, parents born in Canada, and he was a general farmer working on his own account. Martha was 30, born in Illinois, father born in Canada, mother in Illinois. Their children were Cathrine M (5), John R (4 3/12), Maurine V (2 9/12), and Helen A (1 6/12). [Enumerated next to them was Nat's sister Lottie and her husband]8|
|1930 Census||John N and Martha McLean appeared on the 1930 Federal Census of Sheridan County, Montana. They owned their farm and did not have a radio. John was 44, first married at 27, born in North Dakota, parents born in English Canada, was a farmer working on his own account, and was not a veteran. Martha was 41, married at 24, and born in Illinois. Their children were Katherine (15), John (14), Marrium (13), Helen (11), Leonard (9), Thresa (7), Robert (6), Ju-- (4 3/12), Jeanne (2 4/12), and Agnes (10 months). The eldest 6 children attended school.9|
|1940 Census||Nat and Martha appeared on the 1940 Federal Census of Sheridan County, Montana. The family lived on a farm and paid $5 rent. They lived in the same house as in 1935. Nat was 54, had 4th grade education, birthplace English Canada, naturalized. He was seeking work and had not worked for 30 weeks prior to April 1st. The previous year Nat worked 24 weeks for an income of $105. Martha was 51, 8th grade education, born Illinois. Their children with them were Theresa L (17), Robert D (16), Jude C (14), Jeanne F (12), Agnes G (10), Jeremia N (daughter, 7), and Vivian G (5). All the children attended school.10|
|Item||On 4 Dec 1942, John Nathaniel McLean registered his birth in Manitoba.1|
|Death||John died on 7 Jun 1969 in San Luis Obispo County, California.13,14|
|Burial||Nat and Martha were buried in Arroyo Grande Cemetery, Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo County, California. The gravestone reads "McLean - Nat 1886-1969 - Martha 1889-1975."15|
|Last Edited||18 Sep 2013|
- Province of Manitoba Indexes to Vital Records, Births >100y, Marriages >80y, Deaths >70y , <<http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php>>", John Nathaniel McLean, #1886-1474251."
- E-mails from Scott McLean to J Kolthammer, beginning June 2010.
- 1900 Federal Census for United States, North Dakota, Bottineau County, Township 164, Roll T623_1226, Page 3A. Digital image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- County Marriage Records of Montana, 1865-1950. viewed at Family Search Historic Records & Images Online, Reno W Ruegsegger & Lottie McLean, 1911, #913.
- County Marriage Records of Montana, 1865-1950. viewed at Family Search Historic Records & Images Online, Nathaniel McLean & Martha Agnes Fitzgerald, license #41.
- General Land Office Federal Land Patents , images online at http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/, Nathaniel McLean, Patent #456182.
- United States World War I Draft Cards. National Archives, online images viewed at Ancestry.com, Nathaniel McLean, Sheridan County, Montana.
- 1920 Federal Census for United States, Montana, Sheridan County, ED 198, Page 12A. Digital image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- 1930 Federal Census for United States, Montana, Sheridan County, School District 29, ED 23, Page 1A. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- 1940 Federal Census for United States, Montana, Sheridan County, ED 46-23, Page 1A. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- E-mails from Allison McLean to J Kolthammer, beginning July 2010.
- E-mails from Donna Rodenburg to J Kolthammer.
- United States Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Text index viewed at Ancestry.com "Nat McLean, born 9 Mar 1886, last residence Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo, California, issued in Montana before 1951."
- Index to California Deaths, www.ancestry.com, 1940-1997, compiled by Ancestry.com "John N McLean, born 9 Mar 1886 North Dakota, died 7 Jun 1969 San Luis Obispo, mother's maiden name Shell."
- Website Find A Grave (www.findagrave.com).