#467, (c 1856 - 1946)
|Father||John McLean1 (c 1821 - 1903)|
|Mother||Flora McKinnon1 (1832 - 1924)|
|Relationships||Grandson of Hector McLean|
Grandson of Angus McKinnon
|Charts||Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen's children & grandchildren|
Angus McKinnon & Mary McFadyen - 5 generations of descendants
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray's children & grandchildren
Hector McLean & Mary McGillivray - 5 generations of descendants
Children of Hector McLean and Mary McRae
|Birth||Hector McLean was born circa 1856 in Upper Canada.2|
|Baptism||He was baptized in St Andrews Church, Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario. The date was not recorded.1|
|(with Parents) 1861 Census||He appeared on the 1861 Census of Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario with his parents. Hector was born in Upper Canada, Church of Scotland, and 5 years old.2|
|(with Parents) 1871 Census||Hector appeared on the 1871 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. He was 14, born in Ontario, Church of Scotland, and going to school.3|
|(with Parents) 1881 Census||He appeared on the 1881 Census of Bruce Township, Bruce County, Ontario with his parents. Hector was 25, born in Ontario, Canada Presbyterian, Scotch origin, and was a laborer.4|
|Research Note||Marriage not in Manitoba index; not in Ontario index.|
|Marriage||He married Mary McRae.5|
|1891 Census||Hector and Mary McLean appeared on the 1891 Census of Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. They lived in a two story 10-room wooden house with another married couple and 7 farm laborers. Hector was 32, born in Ontario, parents born in Scotland, Presbyterian, and was a farm laborer. Mary was 21, born in Ontario, father born in Newfoundland, mother in PEI. They could both read and write.6|
|1901 Census||Hector and Mary appeared on the 1901 Census of Rossland, British Columbia, at Lot 5 Block 8. Hector was born July 24, 1857 in rural Ontario, was 43, and employed as a carpenter who worked 8 months for $720. Mary was born Dec 16, 1871 in rural Ontario and was 29 years old. They were both Scotch and Presbyterian. The family lived in a one story wooden house with 2 rooms. Their children were Lily (6, born in Manitoba), Kenneth (4, U.S.), and Bruce (born in 1900, BC). Daughter Flora was recorded as Florence and was found in the 1901 census with her maternal grandparents Kenneth & Susanah McCrae in Emerson, Manitoba.5|
|(Mentioned) Obituary||He was mentioned in Duncan McLean's 1902 obituary as brother Hector McLean of Rossland.7|
|1906 Census||Hector and Mary appeared on the 1906 Census of Alberta, at Section 24 Township 54 Range 21 W4, enumerated 24 Jun 1906. Hector was born in Ontario; his age was unclear (40 or 50). Mary was 36 and born in Manitoba. Their children were Flora (14, birthplace Manitoba), Lillie (12, Manitoba), Kenneth (10, US), John (6, BC), and Edward (2, Alberta). Their post office address was Beaver Hills. Their livestock included 1 horse, 4 milch cows, 4 other cattle, 10 sheep, and 25 hogs.8|
|Research Note||Not yet found in the 1911 census.|
|Research Note||There is a burial in Oct 1911 in Moose Jaw for a 8 yr old Bruce McLean in the same gravesite as Hector's brother Alexander's son George.|
|1921 Census||Hector and Mary appeared on the 1921 Census of Municipality of Royal, Alberta, at Section 27 Township 18 Range 25 4W. They owned their 5 room wood house. Hector was 64, born in Ontario, parents born in Scotland. He was a farmer and employer on his own farm. Mary was 52, born in Ontario, father in PEI, mother in Newfoundland. Their children were Kenneth (25, farmer), Edward (16, farmer), daughter-in-law Lilly M (25), and [grand]daughter Alberta A (1). They also had a farm servant.9|
|Residence-Moved||Circa 1943, Hector McLean moved to Victoria, British Columbia from out of province.10|
|Death||Hector died on 30 Mar 1946 in Mt St Marys Hospital, Victoria, British Columbia.|
Details from the certificate: lived in Victoria and BC for two years, residence 999 Burdette Avenue, of Scotch origin, married to Mary, born in Toronto on June 16 1854, age 91 years 9 months 14 days, carpenter for 50 years until 1926, father John McLean born in Markham Ontario, mother Flora McKinnon born in Isle of Mull Scotland. The informant was daughter Lillian Hallberg of #6 - 732 Yates Street.10
|Burial||He was buried on 2 Apr 1946 in Royal Oak Burial Park, Saanich, British Columbia.10|
|Last Edited||28 Aug 2014|
- Microfilm of the Church Register of York County Maple Presbyterian Church register (also known as St. Andrews and St. Pauls), 1829-1912 (Family History Library, 0207904).
- 1861 Census for Ontario "York County, Vaughan Tp (474), page 101."
- 1871 Census for Canada "Ontario, North Bruce (28), Bruce Tp (a-2), page 51."
- Online image of the 1881 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Ontario, Bruce North (177), a-1, page 6.
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Canada, British Columbia, Yale & Cariboo (5), Kootenay West - Rossland Riding (h-6), page 10. Image from Library and Archives Canada viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Online image of the 1891 Census for Canada (viewed at Ancestry.com), Manitoba, Marquette (7), Portage La Prairie, Page 102.
- Obituary of Duncan McLean in Morning Telegram (Winnipeg, Manitoba), 5 August 1902. image online at Manitobia Life and Times, at the Manitoba Archives site.
- Online image of the 1906 Census for Northwest Provinces (Library and Archives Canada, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020122_e.html), Alberta, Edmonton District (20), Subdistrict 14, Page 17.
- Online image of the 1921 Census for Canada, Alberta, Bow River, SD 16, Page 13. Image viewed at Ancestry.com.
- Death certificate of Hector McLean, died 30 March 1946, registered 2 April 1946 in the Province of British Columbia, Certificate #46-09-005447.
- Province of Manitoba Indexes to Vital Records, Births >100y, Marriages >80y, Deaths >70y , <<http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php>>", Flora May McLean, 6/06/1892, Winnipeg, mother Mary Mcrae, #1894-002366."
- Death certificate registered in the Province of British Columbia, Lilly Hallberg, #1986-020245.