#11129, (circa 1782 - after 1861)
|Research Note|| |
The parish registers were stolen from the Vestry Room in the night of 18 Aug 1814. They were in an Iron Chest in an inner closet under Lock & Key. They contained bmb 1560 [or 1569] to 1734; bapt and bur 1734 - 1813; marr 1734 - 1754; marr from 1734 [or 54]; marr to 1813; only one year was not present in 1680s; also new series beginning 1813. The next morning was called a meeting of parishioners and a reward offered. The registers were not recovered. A few records were collected from parishoners on 29 Mar 1816. Thus, any cited events that occurred prior to this date are from recollection and many events will not be recorded.
|Birth||John Cordell was born circa 1782 in Harlow, Essex.3|
|Marriage||He married Susanna (-?-).4|
|Research Note|| In the Church of England parish register are entries for the baptisms of their sons James, William, Charles, and Edward (all entered at one time - see citation note) the surname was spelled Caudel. |
|1841 Census||John and Susan Cordell appeared on the 1841 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Foster Street. John was 57 and an Agricultural Labourer. Susan was 61. Also in the household were Mary (20) and William (6 months). All were born in Essex. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.5 |
|1851 Census||John and Susan Cordell appeared on the 1851 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Foster Street. John was 69, an agricultural labourer, and was born in Harlow. Susan was 72, birthplace Harlow. With them were their grandson William (age 10) and John's brother Edward (73, unmarried, ag lab, Harlow.)3 |
|1861 Census||John and Susanna Cordell appeared on the 1861 Census of Harlow, Essex, at Foster Street. John was 78 and an Ag Labourer. Susanna was 81 and they were both born in Harlow. With them was their grandson William (20, agricultural laborer, born Harlow.)6 |
|Death||John died after 1861.|
|Research Note|| There is a record in the National Burial Index for John Cordell, age 64, buried 7 April 1865 in Potter Street Baptist Church in Harlow. His wife Susan was buried there in 1864 and I wonder if the age in the transcription should be 84, therefore this John Cordell.7 |
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363).
- Comment: Brothers John and Edward Cordell were together in the 1851 census but their parents are as yet unknown.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1770 folio 503. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Comment: Marriage assumed from the baptism records of their children.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/330 Book 3 Folio 55. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/1065 folio 52. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- National Burial Index for England & Wales, compiled by Federation of Family History Societies, Bury, England, 2004. Viewed online at findmypast.com.
- Microfilm of the Parish Register of St. Mary's and St. Hugh's church, Harlow, Essex, 1755-1984 (Family History Library, 1472363). William Lincoln & Mary Cordell marriage, 1847.