#1377, (13 December 1812 - 10 March 1892)
|Father||Charles Hitt3 (between 1767 and 1771 - 1851)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Collins3 (circa 1774 - )|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Children of Susannah Hitt and William Stocker
* * * * *
Susannah was the middle of Charles and Elizabeth Hitt's five children. The Hitt family was from Broadclyst, Devon. At the age of 16, Susannah married William Stocker. William was a mason and Susannah's father was a labourer so this was a step up for her. She had two daughters, Susannah and Emma and perhaps others not yet discovered. After she was widowed, Susannah lived with her daughter Emma until she died at age 79.
* * * * *
|Baptism||Susannah Hitt was baptized on 13 Dec 1812 in Broadclyst, Devon. She was noted to be the daughter of Charles, a labourer, & Elizth.3|
|Marriage||She married William Stocker, son of Joseph Stocker and Mary Martyn, on 29 Jun 1829 in St Mary Arches, Exeter, Devon. The witnesses were Jane Scott and William Webber.1|
|(Witness) Marriage||William Stocker and Susanna Stocker witnessed the marriage of William Mare and William's sister Mary Mortimore on 23 Apr 1832 in Broadclyst. They both signed their names while the bride and groom made their mark.4|
|(Witness) Marriage||Wm Stocker and Susanna Stocker witnessed the marriage of Joseph Dobel and [Susanna's sister] Nancy Hitt on 4 Mar 1833 in Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon.5|
|1841 Census||William and Susanna Stocker appeared on the 1841 Census of St Mary Redcliff, Bristol, Gloucestershire, at Brick Yard, enumerated 6 Jun 1841. William was 30 and a Mason. Susanna was 27. With them were Susanna (11) and Emma (2). None of them were born in Gloucestershire. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.6|
|1861 Census||William and Sussannah [sic] appeared on the 1861 Census of Christchurch, Surrey, at 4 York Street, enumerated 7 Apr 1861. William was 42, a Builder, and born in Broadclist Devon. Sussannah was 48 and also born in Broadclist. Two lodgers and another family were also at this address.7|
|1871 Census||William and Susan Stocker appeared on the 1871 Census of Norwood Village, Lambeth, Surrey, at 16 Station Rd, Gipsey Hill, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. William was 62, a Bricklayer, and born in Broadcliffe Devon. Susan was 59, born in Broadcliffe and there is a notation "14 years appol"[cut off by edge of page; probably a medical condition].8|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband William died on 8 May 1880.9,10|
|(Admon) Probate||Susanna Stocker of 11 Meyrick-road, widow, the relict and sole executrix was granted administration of William Stocker's estate on 26 May 1880.10|
|(Other) 1881 Census||Susannah Stocker appeared on the 1881 Census of Battersea, Surrey, in the household of her son-in-law Thomas and daughter Emma Cox. She was a widow, age 67, born in Broad Clyst, Devon.11|
|(Other) 1891 Census||Susanah Stocker appeared on the 1891 Census of Battersea, London, with her daughter Emma's family. She was a widow, age 78, and was born in Exeter Devon.12|
|Death||Susannah died on 10 Mar 1892.13,14|
|Burial||She was buried on 17 Mar 1892 in St Mary Battersea, Surrey. She was 78 years old and of 17 Meyrick Road.15|
|Probate||Her estate was proved on 21 Jul 1892. Entry from the calendar:|
Stocker Susanna of 17 Meyrick Road Clapham Junction Surrey widow died 10 March 1892 Probate London 21 July to Emma Martin Cox (wife of Thomas Joseph Cox). Effects £14 3s. 4d.14
|Research Note||A witness to her daughter Susanna's marriage in 1848 was Phoebe Mary Hitt; don't know yet how she fits into the Hitt family.|
|Last Edited||3 Jul 2016|
- Transcript of the Parish Registers of Exeter St Mary Arches, 1538-1837 (Family History Library, Film #0,917,102).
- Copy birth certificate of Emma Martyn Stocker, born 3 March 1839, registered 5 March 1839 in the Registration District of St Sidwell Exeter.
- Transcript of the Parish Register of Broadclyst, Devon, 1652-1850 (Family History Library, Film #916761 & 916,762).
- Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon, Marriage Register. Image viewed at FindMyPast. William Mare & Mary Mortimore, 1832, #244.
- Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon, Marriage Register. Image viewed at FindMyPast. Joseph Dobel & Nancy Hitt, 1833, #256.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/373/4 folio 9. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/313 folio 84. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/694 folio 39. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. William Stocker, age 72, June Q 1880, Wandsworth RD.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. William Stocker, 1900.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, RG11/0642 folio 125. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/434 folio 5. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. Susannah Stocker, age 78, Mar Q 1892, Wandsworth RD.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. Susanna Stocker, 1892.
- Burials of St Mary Battersea. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. Susannah Stocker, 1892, #673.