#16405, (circa 1809 - 8 May 1880)
|Father||Joseph Stocker2 (1786 - 1820)|
|Mother||Mary Martyn2 (1782 - 1856)|
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Children of William Stocker and Susannah Hitt
* * * * *
William Stocker was born in Broadclyst, Devon, which is 5 miles northeast of Exeter. William's baptism is not in the parish register there but Joseph & Mary were the only Stocker family having children baptised at that time. At the age of 20, he married Susannah Hitt, also from Broadclyst and they had two daughters. William was a bricklayer.
* * * * *
|Birth||William Stocker was born circa 1809 in Broadclyst, Devon.3|
|(Witness) Marriage||William Stocker witnessed the marriage of Joseph Webber and his sister Sarah Stocker on 3 Mar 1828 in Broadclyst.4|
|Marriage||William Stocker married Susannah Hitt, daughter of Charles Hitt and Elizabeth Collins, on 29 Jun 1829 in St Mary Arches, Exeter, Devon. The witnesses were Jane Scott and William Webber.5|
|(Witness) Marriage||William Stocker and Susanna Stocker witnessed the marriage of William Mare and William's sister Mary Mortimore on 23 Apr 1832 in Broadclyst. They both signed their names while the bride and groom made their mark.6|
|(Witness) Marriage||Wm Stocker and Susanna Stocker witnessed the marriage of Joseph Dobel and [Susanna's sister] Nancy Hitt on 4 Mar 1833 in Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon.7|
|1841 Census||William and Susanna Stocker appeared on the 1841 Census of St Mary Redcliff, Bristol, Gloucestershire, at Brick Yard, enumerated 6 Jun 1841. William was 30 and a Mason. Susanna was 27. With them were Susanna (11) and Emma (2). None of them were born in Gloucestershire. Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county.8|
|(Witness) Marriage||William Stocker witnessed the marriage of William Lovesay and his daughter Susanna Hitt Stocker on 9 Apr 1848 in Christ Church, Surrey.9|
|1851 Census||William Stocker appeared on the 1851 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, at 7 Church Street. William was married, age 41, a bricklayer, and born in Lambeth. With him were two lodgers: Elizabeth Hitt (married, 77, born Devon) and Charles Renwood (25, wheelwright, born Exeter). Elizabeth is probably William's mother-in-law. William's wife and daughter were not there for the census. They were likely visiting elsewhere but I haven't yet found them.10|
|1861 Census||William and Sussannah [sic] appeared on the 1861 Census of Christchurch, Surrey, at 4 York Street, enumerated 7 Apr 1861. William was 42, a Builder, and born in Broadclist Devon. Sussannah was 48 and also born in Broadclist. Two lodgers and another family were also at this address.11|
|Note.||William Stocker and his married daughter Emma Cox both lived on York Street in Christchurch in 1861.|
|1871 Census||William and Susan Stocker appeared on the 1871 Census of Norwood Village, Lambeth, Surrey, at 16 Station Rd, Gipsey Hill, enumerated 2 Apr 1871. William was 62, a Bricklayer, and born in Broadcliffe Devon. Susan was 59, born in Broadcliffe and there is a notation "14 years appol"[cut off by edge of page; probably a medical condition].3|
|Death||William died on 8 May 1880 in 11 Meyrick Road which was the address of his daughter Emma Cox.12,13|
|Probate||His estate was proved on 26 May 1880. Entry from the calendar:|
Stocker William. The Will of William Stocker formerly of 4 York-street Blackfriars-road but late of 11 Meyrick-road Clapham Junction both in the County of Surrey Builder who died 8 May 1880 at 11 Meyrick-road was proved at the Principal Registry by Susanna Stocker of 11 Meyrick-road Widow the Relict the sole Executrix. Personal Estate under £100.13
|Last Edited||3 Jul 2016|
- Copy birth certificate of Emma Martyn Stocker, born 3 March 1839, registered 5 March 1839 in the Registration District of St Sidwell Exeter.
- Comment: Joseph and Mary were the only Stocker couple having children baptised in Broad Clyst between 1795 and 1825. They had children every two years and there is a gap between Elizabeth (1807) and Sarah (1811) where William fits. As well, his second given name was Martin.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/694 folio 39. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon, Marriage Register. Image viewed at FindMyPast. Joseph Webber & Sarah Stocker, 1828, #196.
- Transcript of the Parish Registers of Exeter St Mary Arches, 1538-1837 (Family History Library, Film #0,917,102).
- Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon, Marriage Register. Image viewed at FindMyPast. William Mare & Mary Mortimore, 1832, #244.
- Exeter St Mary Arches, Devon, Marriage Register. Image viewed at FindMyPast. Joseph Dobel & Nancy Hitt, 1833, #256.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/373/4 folio 9. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Marriages of the parish of Christ Church, Surrey. Register at London Metropolitan Archives. Image viewed at Ancestry. William Lovesay & Susanna Hitt Stocker.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1569 folio 110 page 37. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/313 folio 84. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- FreeBMD. William Stocker, age 72, June Q 1880, Wandsworth RD.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1858-1966. Images viewed at Ancestry.com. William Stocker, 1900.
- Transcript of the Parish Register of Broadclyst, Devon, 1652-1850 (Family History Library, Film #916761 & 916,762).
- Copy marriage certificate of Thomas Joseph Cox and Emma Martin Stocker, married 5 October 1856 in the Registration District of Lambeth.