#17421, (circa 1774 - )
|Charts||Ancestors of Mabel Smart|
Children of Elizabeth Collins and Charles Hitt
* * * * *
Elizabeth was from Devonshire. She married Charles Hitt in 1807 in Exeter and they were there in the 1841 census. In 1851, she was with her son-in-law in Lambeth Surrey.
* * * * *
|Birth||Elizabeth Collins was born circa 1774 in Devon.2|
|Marriage||She married Charles Hitt on 16 Apr 1807 in Holy Trinity, Exeter, Devon.|
Witnesses were Rich Pullen & Elizabeth Whicker, who were witnesses to many of the marriages there so likely didn't know Charles and Elizabeth.1
|1841 Census||Charles and Elizabeth Hitt appeared on the 1841 Census of St Sidwell Exeter, Devon, enumerated 1841. Charles was 70, a Gardner, and born in the county. Elizabeth was 65 and born in the county. With them was [probably their daughter] Mary (40) and Elizabeth Jr (6). [Note that the 1841 census records ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, does not record relationships, and only indicates whether or not the person was born in the county]3|
|(Widowed) Death||Her husband Charles died on 4 Feb 1851.4|
|(Other) 1851 Census||Elizabeth Hitt appeared on the 1851 Census of Lambeth, Surrey, as a lodger in the household of William Stocker. She was married [sic], age 77, and born in Devon. The relationship was not noted but she was William's mother-in-law.2|
There is an entry in the GRO death index in 1857 for Elizabeth Hitt in Exeter.5
|Last Edited||16 Dec 2014|
- Transcript of the Parish Register of Holy Trinity Exeter, 1563-1837 (FHL Photoduplication Services, film #917095).
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1569 folio 110 page 37. Image viewed at Ancestry.
- 1841 Census for England & Wales, HO107/268 Book 4 Folio 19. Image viewed at Ancestry or Findmypast.
- Copy death certificate of Charles Hitt, died 4 February 1851, registered 7 February 1851 in the Registration District of Exeter.
- FreeBMD. Elizabeth Hitt, Mar Q 1857, Exeter RD.
- Transcript of the Parish Register of Broadclyst, Devon, 1652-1850 (Family History Library, Film #916761 & 916,762).